What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need help identifying this insect.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
First found these last month, floating in the water when I fertigate. They were in the pot of a plant that mysteriously died. They were also in a different plant in a different grow space, and that plant had more if these insects but the plant was healthy.
they look like tiny maggots or other larvae. Yet I don't see any adults or other insects.
It looks an awful lot like russet mites, yet I only find them in the soil or in the run off. I do not see them on the plants. Not on the leaves or stems or flowers.

When the second plant never became ill I started to think it was just some kind of beneficial insect eating organic material.
I once had those tiny spring tail insects that float in the water but I could actually see those things jumping around.
These just crawl and wriggle like a maggot.

I know these pics suck, I'll post better macros as I learn to better use this wifi microscope.
check out the chunk of soil with the pests on it.

Edit:. I just remembered that I can't upload video.
I'm going to try to figure out how I can post it somewhere else and then link it so I can show you guys.
2021_11_30_12_18_24_270.png
2021_11_30_12_17_52_486.png
2021_11_30_12_18_24_674.png

Three Berries

The Mosquito Bits stuff works. You ad it to the water and it contains BT spores. Need to do it once a week though. Diatomaceous earth works too but needs to be in the soil from the start.

First found these last month, floating in the water when I fertigate. They were in the pot of a plant that mysteriously died. They were also in a different plant in a different grow space, and that plant had more if these insects but the plant was healthy.
they look like tiny maggots or other larvae. Yet I don't see any adults or other insects.
It looks an awful lot like russet mites, yet I only find them in the soil or in the run off. I do not see them on the plants. Not on the leaves or stems or flowers.

When the second plant never became ill I started to think it was just some kind of beneficial insect eating organic material.
I once had those tiny spring tail insects that float in the water but I could actually see those things jumping around.
These just crawl and wriggle like a maggot.

I know these pics suck, I'll post better macros as I learn to better use this wifi microscope.
check out the chunk of soil with the pests on it.

Edit:. I just remembered that I can't upload video.
I'm going to try to figure out how I can post it somewhere else and then link it so I can show you guys.

Compost maggots. Nothing to worry about.

Nothing to worry about. I think the term was nematodes or roundworms. They are a diverse animal phylum inhabiting a broad range of environments. Wikipedia These guys do a great job converting compost to nutes.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
They are not a problem to the plants however they play hell on growing growers' minds. They eat compost in the substrate and not your plants. Its OK😎

buzzmobile

Veteran
I am seeing antennae on some of those critters which leads me to think springtails and not root maggots. I see segments on the critters which rules out nearly all nematodes which are roundworms and roundworms are unsegmented.
It is tough to get clear pictures with microscopes. A good picture of a single individual will help.