What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help please newbie question

Uglyrichie

Was hoping you could tell me how I can avoid this in the future and if there is a possible fix? Currently week 6ish of flower plant on the right leaves started to turn lighter green and the fan leaves yellowed. The plant on the left just yellowed and brown spots after. This is my 3rd attempt initially thought to add mag/sulfur but that didn't slow it and looking for a solution lead me here any help would be appreciated.

4x2x5 tent, lights used are a mars hydro ts1000 and a maxisun pb2000 ( is this to much have plans to change lighting when I move up to a larger tent in the future), media is ocean forest and nutrients are canna terra Flores along with ok 13/14 in week 5, calmag, terpinator, supplement with fish shit and recharge along the way off and on. Plants are in 5 gallon nursery pots I have smart pots but right now I'm so new I want to try everything and see what works.

Any help suggestions and criticism appreciated. I see growing as my new hobby and would like to learn and grow as a grower. Plus cuts down on the wife's weed bill. Any tips on how to get good results with a heat press are more than welcomed. I have a 5 ton dab press as the wife is into dabbing now. Thanks for reading and take it easy.

Attachments

• photo2076296.jpg
    photo2076296.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2076388.jpg
    photo2076388.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2076389.jpg
    photo2076389.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2076390.jpg
    photo2076390.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 35

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well first off, if your expectation is to eventually get to harvest day with all the leaves looking beautiful and healthy then you need to rethink expectations. Now that plant looks to be the kind that finishes in 8-9 weeks so right about week 6 is when you would expect leaves to start dying off. Usually though this coincides with the practice some people call flushing which is where you stop giving nutes (just water) the last couple of weeks and let the plant get anything it might still need from the leaves and what might be in the soil if growing in soil. Now in your case it seems like there is something else going on other then just the normal dying off of leaves at the end of a plant's life cycle. Since it looks like a possible combination of things I'm inclined to think you might have developed a ph issue in the plant on the left in the last picture. The plant on the right looks pretty normal to me although it's a little hard to tell because the grow light is giving everything a yellowish look. Is there anything noteworthy you can think of that has happened recently especially if it happened to just that one plant that looks the worst?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It looks like bronzing caused by using tap water. I would recommend you get a pH meter and an EC meter to monitor your water intake and outtake. 😎

troutman

Seed Whore
Plants fade as they ripen and some leaves may fall off in the process.
It's natural to do so don't freak out when it happens.

negative37dBA

Veteran
As far as pressing rosin goes here are a couple tips. Certain cultivars are better at producing results than others. Trichome density and shape have a lot to do with this. Quality in means quality out...make sense? I use a 12 ton press and bottle tech style with the bags. You load them vertically to look like a bottle instead of a puck...has to do with surface area of your heat plates...
Bag micron choice is important. I use a 160 micron for my fresh gg4 buds. As the bud dries more and cures you can go with a lower micron bag. I use around 37 micron for hash.
Temps...depending on bud freshness and quality I go with around 190 F. You may need to go a bit higher depending on your start material. Start by pressing down to get some pressure on the bag and let it pre-heat for a minute or so. Key is to not go to hard on the pressure to fast. If material is flowing and bubbling you have enough pressure. Increase this slowly till at max pressure. I keep my time to about 2 minutes for the press....again start material will dictate a lot on how you proceed. Release pressure and pull out your parchment. Take out the puck and save it for a second press. I use a aluminum cookie sheet from the freezer to cool the rosin and roll it up into a glob. You can transfer this to parchment or jar it up and your good to go.
Rosin is a awesome way to medicate. Much cleaner and very concentrated. 1 grain of rice sized dab will get me feeling it and a second just sends me out there.....very clean and flavorful.
Pressing is more of a art than a science. The start material being the key factor in the parameters. Once you have good results with a certain strain keep notes so you can reproduce that...like a recipe for rosin if you will.
Here is a press of some Alien Rift buds. Came out slightly darker than the GG4. Some nice fire! I am getting around a 20% return on the Rift verses a 28 to 30% return on the Glue. Again start material quality is key. Glue is known to be a great presser. Hope some of this helps you out!
fetch?photoid=17873382.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17873382.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	17958575

Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Hey what temps are you running those plants at? My last run I had very similar leaf issues at about the same time. I increased my temp to about 77 or so at the canopy level along with a couple other things and this run they are green and healthy. Led doesn't produce much heat and leaf surface temp is important for transpiration.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
Plants fade as they ripen and some leaves may fall off in the process.
It's natural to do so don't freak out when it happens.

this would be my thought too

great post with lots of good infomation, but you dident tell us what strain you are growing or how long you expect it to flower
if its going to be done in 8wks you would see some yellowing; its a n deficiency because the plant is in bloom
if your plants look god otherwise, i would just pluck those yellowing leafs off to get more light into the bud sites
hope your grow some of the best smoke youve ever had

Uglyrichie

Thanks everyone, white widow is the strain. After reading through I realized I'm close to my end of cycle. Time real has gotten away from me. This current round was weird my state had a heat wave that took out some seedlings ( I originally had 6 seedlings 3 took a dive). Out of the 3 I kept I scraped 1 do to yellowing with brown dry edges as I couldn't get under control. It's left me a little gun shy And focused on the 2 which have exceeded my expectations. I know I'm going to screw up, there is more to growing than meets the eye.
I have early girl ( I know I fed that name up) waiting to go in soon as this is done. With plans on learning to ph and better climate control. There's so much to learn but to be honest I enjoy it.trimming sucks thou.
Also thanks for the press info when I bought seeds I focused on ease and what looked interesting. Since she started dabbing I've been researching different profiles and genetics.
take it easy and have a good evening

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks everyone, white widow is the strain. After reading through I realized I'm close to my end of cycle. Time real has gotten away from me. This current round was weird my state had a heat wave that took out some seedlings ( I originally had 6 seedlings 3 took a dive). Out of the 3 I kept I scraped 1 do to yellowing with brown dry edges as I couldn't get under control. It's left me a little gun shy And focused on the 2 which have exceeded my expectations. I know I'm going to screw up, there is more to growing than meets the eye.
I have early girl ( I know I fed that name up) waiting to go in soon as this is done. With plans on learning to ph and better climate control. There's so much to learn but to be honest I enjoy it.trimming sucks thou.
Also thanks for the press info when I bought seeds I focused on ease and what looked interesting. Since she started dabbing I've been researching different profiles and genetics.
take it easy and have a good evening

For what it's worth getting a solid handle on dialing in the climate control and maintaining the right ph level will make things seem a lot easier because those two things being off probably cause 90% of the problems people experience. I would also encourage you to stop telling yourself that you're going to screw up. I imagine you're just trying to be modest and realistic but mindset and attitude is an important part of the whole growing experience and if you keep telling yourself that you're going to fail you might find that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Now mind you, I'm not suggesting you go to the other extreme and get cocky about it, I'm just saying approach more like "I'm going to commit to being the best grower I can possibly be".

One other piece of advice, you've hinted at how big the wife's weed appetite is and you've also said she's very much getting into dabbing. Putting those two things together you may want to be giving thought to how you can expand your grow operation. Two moderate users would struggle to get by from one harvest to the next on a grow the size of what you currently have so if one or both of you are heavy smokers then it's going to be really tough. Now add on to that the idea of converting some of your harvest to dab material and you'll find it really challenging. Sure if you're in a legal state for recreational use you can always supplement from local businesses but that can get pretty expensive too. I would suggest you need to at least double maybe even triple your capacity to get to a point of rarely having to buy weed and still keep you and the wife happy.

Greenheart

Veteran
Growing is only half the battle. Curing is a big step. If you are unsure of how to do it you might want to read up on that before you get there. If you don't own a Hygrometer may I suggest getting one. It doesn't have to be top dollar but make sure it isn't junk.

You have some pretty thick sticks there. Nice!

Latest posts

Latest posts