What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellow tips first days of flower.

Roadblock

Just turned to 12/12 and straight away the tips of the bud sites get very pale to yellow, Ive seen it before and always thought they are just bolting, would rather not have it but it never seemed to affect them that much.

Ive read where people say it's nitrogen ( I stay on grow food first 2 wks into bloom) and there is a piece I read in Bill's thread about the big need for calcium at the time of beginning flowering, Im kinda out in the sticks and don't have access to a lot stuff so try and get by with what I can get.

So my question is can I bump say 50-100 ppm of cal-nitrate into their feed to give a little boost of Calcium and Nitrogen, Im using Ionic one part Nutrient, Fulvic and Kelp Ph 5.7- 6.4. I raised the EC a point on a fresh feed when I flipped them to give them access to some more nutrient, just got me thinking about bumping Cal-Nitrate and whether it would help with the yellowing tips. other than that the plants grew great with excellent color and growth rates.

Cheers

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You need to know if it's a pH issue or a nutrient issue before you give your plants anything. To be honest with you, I wouldn't give my plants any kind of nitrogen early flowering time. If there was a need for nitrogen the old leaves would show it first, and not the tips. Calcium should be faded at the flowering time because leaf tissue is not in demand anymore. Cal-Nitrate is mostly used in vegetation for building strong leaves and stems and should be limited in flowering. Without looking at your plants. I would say your pH has changed in the root zone. 😎

Roadblock

ph has been spot on all the way always from 5.7 to 6.4, even though they are flipped into flower they are still in growth for the 2 wks stretch, Ive never given bloom food until after the first week of 12/12.

The pic Bill put up showing their demands from tissue samples showed a big demand for Calcium right on the flip and also Nitrogen for that first week of flip then the Nitrogen would level out as K would ramp right up. Most cal mag additives use cal-nitrate as the cal source, that's the problem I cant get a no Nitrogen source of Calcium, even to order a general Cal-Mag supplement will take a week by the time I have it where I have Cal Nitrate and also have Epsom Salts, its the first time Ive used Ionic fertilizer they grew great its just the yellowing of the tips on flipping.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...ercial-and-home-grows?p=12408934#post12408934

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
ph has been spot on all the way always from 5.7 to 6.4, even though they are flipped into flower they are still in growth for the 2 wks stretch, Ive never given bloom food until after the first week of 12/12.

The pic Bill put up showing their demands from tissue samples showed a big demand for Calcium right on the flip and also Nitrogen for that first week of flip then the Nitrogen would level out as K would ramp right up. Most cal mag additives use cal-nitrate as the cal source, that's the problem I cant get a no Nitrogen source of Calcium, even to order a general Cal-Mag supplement will take a week by the time I have it where I have Cal Nitrate and also have Epsom Salts, its the first time Ive used Ionic fertilizer they grew great its just the yellowing of the tips on flipping.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...4#post12408934

Can you post a photo of the plant tips? Your bloom will have enough nitrogen to green up your plants in flowering. Just keep your pH steady at 6.0 – 6.5 and your plants will come back during flowering. (5.7pH) is too low and will cause yellow tips or tip burn. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When pH is low, the solubility of some micronutrients like iron and manganese increases, making them more available to plants. This can cause toxicity or yellowing of the tips. Also, when pH increases, micronutrients, along with phosphorus, become less soluble and less available to plants. Keep your pH steady and keep growing is all you can do at this point. . 😎

Roadblock

When pH is low, the solubility of some micronutrients like iron and manganese increases, making them more available to plants. This can cause toxicity or yellowing of the tips. Also, when pH increases, micronutrients, along with phosphorus, become less soluble and less available to plants. Keep your pH steady and keep growing is all you can do at this point. . 😎

Yeah I think you might be right there, its the 3rd day of 12/12 I got real anal about the PH and have kept it at 5.8 for every feeding , the kelp I use is Seasol which has a decent chunk of calcium in it, Ive always given about 100ml in 300 ltrs, on researching today I found where it can be dosed at 1ml per liter, so being way under that I gave them another 100ml of seasol , other than that just watch, they are very healthy and they look less today than yesterday, the first-day bam they had bright yellow bud sites but that's bleeding away as the days go. And they are bolting like mad.

I missed your other post, it's going in the table at 5.8 and coming out at 6.0 its a DIY system and they are growing on a plastic corrugated sheet covered with a spreader mat so there is no buffer from any medium.

Roadblock

Today perfect color no yellowing at all, I think upping the seasol may have helped it has 430ml/ L of calcium and also 320mg/L of magnesium, here is a breakdown of whats in if anyone is interested.
https://www.seasol.com.au/wp-conten...easol-Liquid-Seaweed-Concentrate-May-2017.pdf

Yeah that's how I did it as well Switcher just drift between 2 points, I watched a youtube yesterday on the Blue labs PH controller and the guy there was talking about research they did at some institute over many crops where a very steady constant PH gave a consistently better yield, I might try and keep it on a tighter PH, on thinking about it it would never change so quickly in natural soil so maybe the plant is better of in a constant PH.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran

I've used all Ionic products before and in every grow I ever did regardless of the brand of nutrient I gradually switch from veg nutes to flower nutes during the first two weeks and I never experienced any deficiencies but I've always grown in soil and always kept the ph at 6.5ish. With the environment you describe I'm not sure if you should be treating it like coco or hydro. Either way I would think if you're staying between 5.7 and 6.0 then it shouldn't be causing ph issues but since I have no experience with that I can't say for sure there is no ph issues. Also it's kind of hard to be certain of anything with no pictures. Since your latest post suggests it's under control then great but maybe next grow try tapering of from the grow nutes into the bloom nutes and see if that prevents this from happening since your initial post sounded like this is a common occurrence for you when you switch to 12/12.

Roadblock

3.2% Sodium. I would be cautious with that.

Yeah that's why I always kept a low dose, never had a problem with Seasol been using it for many years, I use rain water and figured its like RO so very pure, that level of sodium in seasol the plants wouldn't feel a thing, probably get more in standard tap water..

These are the plants tonight, the pale tips pretty much gone.
yellowing tops.jpg

yellowing tops_a.jpg

Will try some of the things you guys pointed out as Ive got to flip these into flower real soon /
Katsus Dracery and Bubba Sis.

Dracery.jpg

BubbaSis_b.jpg

These are the roots at the bottom of the trays they have exploded the entire length and white like paper system appears to be going ok so far.

Roots.jpg