What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the strongest systemic pesticide available?

Cactus Squatter

I’m about to burn my yard down. The damn spider mites are insane here and are taking over everything. I can keep them somewhat contained around my edible and smokeable plants using organic safe sprays, but on everything else I want to kill the ever living piss out of them the second they touch my non edible landscaping plants.
I haven’t been able to fully get rid of them all on the decorative plants which then re spreads them to the rest of the garden, and into my house.

So what’s the strongest thing out there? Tobacco sprays? Or is there something even stronger?
I want something so vicious on them that the ones infesting my neighbors plants will curl up and die out of fear of what’s happening in my yard.

It would also be just swell if my neighbors understood how bad the issue is and also tried to deal with them in their yards, but unfortunately I’m not that lucky.

troutman

Seed Whore
I can get a 50% Malathion solution locally and it will mess up any insect under the Sun including mites.
It's usually locked and you have to ask for it. I only use it outdoors and don't think I want that indoors.
When I use it outdoors I walk with the wind to my back and walk backwards to avoid breathing in any.
It breaks down in about 2 weeks and faster if it rains. But it will mess up anything on contact when you
use it. Just don't use it 3 weeks from harvest. I spray most of it around the garden to scare them away
before they find the plants.

I normally use it in a guerilla setting where mosquitoes are bad and I can tell you they hate me when I use it. :biggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malathion

Cactus Squatter

I can get a 50% Malathion solution locally and it will mess up any insect under the Sun including mites.
It's usually locked and you have to ask for it. I only use it outdoors and don't think I want that indoors.
When I use it outdoors I walk with the wind to my back and walk backwards to avoid breathing in any.
It breaks down in about 2 weeks and faster if it rains. But it will mess up anything on contact when you
use it. Just don't use it 3 weeks from harvest. I spray most of it around the garden to scare them away

I normally use it in a guerilla setting where mosquitoes are bad and I can tell you they hate me when I use it. :biggrin:

I’ll see if I can find that around here. What kind of shop do you buy it at? Hardware store, garden center?

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm in Canada and have bought it at a store that does have a garden center attached. I have seen it at Lowes also.

troutman

Seed Whore
Read the label and be careful with it. :)

A long term approach may be to get mite predators next year and release an army around the house.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have killed tender plants with that. IIRC it's banned in some states, but the gov still spray it anyway. Something about swamps in hot places.

St. Phatty

I would be aggressive with the Safer's soap.

I don't mean Safer's spray. Safer's Dip Tank.

Using the Safer's concentrate.

If I had more time I would make a clamshell so people can do a "dip" on a full size plant.

But just a 6 foot by 2 by 2 foot tank ... 24 cubic feet, 1400+ pounds.

I had a serious spider mite infestation earlier. I bought 3x bags of lady-bugs and released them on a 2 day schedule. (Friday, Sunday, Tuesday)

That did the job, but for a back-up I bought an oblong steel tub about 2 feet long, so I can dip every branch if I need it.

The agitation of the water is a big part of removing the spider mites.

If you can arrange for some serious rain fall effects, like spraying the branches with water, that simply washes away some of the spider mites.

Cactus Squatter

Read the label and be careful with it. :)

A long term approach may be to get mite predators next year and release an army around the house.

unfortunately mass releases of predator mites have done nothing to the spider mites.

I’ll definitely be super careful spraying it. It’s not going on any food or smoke crops either.

Cactus Squatter

Well, it kinda worked. Seems to have totally eliminated them on some plants, but others the little bastard spider mites were back 2 days later.

malyessarah71

It's usually locked and you have to ask for it.

I only use it outdoors and don't think I want that indoors.

It breaks down in about 2 weeks and faster if it rains. But it will mess up anything on contact when you use it.

Just don't use it 3 weeks from harvest.

I spray most of it around the garden to scare them away before they find the plants.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well, it kinda worked. Seems to have totally eliminated them on some plants, but others the little bastard spider mites were back 2 days later.

The eggs hatched. Most treatments need a 3 day interval at indoor temperatures. You need to kill the young before they get old enough to lay more eggs. The life cycle of the borg at various temperatures will be found online somewhere. Showing you how to kill them as they hatch, without having to spray every day.

Soap is good. They have no way of closing their breathing hole. Waters surface tension stops them drowning. The soap breaks the surface tension. Drowning them. I have seen off the borg with wetting agent. It's all about procedure. Dunking in the bath is high on the list of getting them all.

Cactus Squatter

The eggs hatched. Most treatments need a 3 day interval at indoor temperatures. You need to kill the young before they get old enough to lay more eggs. The life cycle of the borg at various temperatures will be found online somewhere. Showing you how to kill them as they hatch, without having to spray every day.

Soap is good. They have no way of closing their breathing hole. Waters surface tension stops them drowning. The soap breaks the surface tension. Drowning them. I have seen off the borg with wetting agent. It's all about procedure. Dunking in the bath is high on the list of getting them all.

I sprayed every 3 days for 2 weeks. They came back. Sprayed every 2 days for a week. They came back. I sprayed every day. Same. Once a week, same. Borg is Borg and I think enough of my neighbors have them without caring to get rid of them that they’ll inevitably be right back no matter what I do.

I think the best I can hope for is to plant things in the yard that they like more than my plants. They seem to absolutely love my datura plants.

jackspratt61

I sprayed every 3 days for 2 weeks. They came back. Sprayed every 2 days for a week. They came back. I sprayed every day. Same. Once a week, same. Borg is Borg and I think enough of my neighbors have them without caring to get rid of them that they’ll inevitably be right back no matter what I do.

I think the best I can hope for is to plant things in the yard that they like more than my plants. They seem to absolutely love my datura plants.

2g/L or so of Calcium Hydroxide to ph 11 followed by a light vinegar at ph 3.0. Dissolve the COH and use the clear liquid. Works well.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have had bare boarded rooms where the buggers just kept coming back. I baked the room to draw them out when there were disposable plants to eat iirc. Hitting the room with something you wouldn't put on edibles. It's been a while now so I don't quite remember. It's method not chemicals though. People that use chemicals breed resistant pests. The daily treatment won't work better than every three. It just creates a toxic room. What are you doing with the plants? at this point, they are bin feed.

Cactus Squatter

I have had bare boarded rooms where the buggers just kept coming back. I baked the room to draw them out when there were disposable plants to eat iirc. Hitting the room with something you wouldn't put on edibles. It's been a while now so I don't quite remember. It's method not chemicals though. People that use chemicals breed resistant pests. The daily treatment won't work better than every three. It just creates a toxic room. What are you doing with the plants? at this point, they are bin feed.

My issue is on plants in my yard. Landscaping stuff. I have a few hedge bushes and some Daturas that are absolutely infested no matter what I do. I’ve chopped them completely out and the next year they’re back.
from there they spread to my watermelons, pumpkins, and luffa. Then my peppers and flower. So far most of my flower strains have been fairly resistant to them, but they’re destroying everything else.

With so many outside, them getting inside is a concern. I have a water, soap, alcohol and peroxide mix I use fairly effectively inside to keep them at bay. Only lost 1 grow to them this year indoors.

So I want them all dead and don’t care how I do it since it’s not edibles or smokable getting sprayed.