What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellow lower leaves mid-flower - Haze Hybrid

skillz

Hi !

I'm growing some Karma Haze - I keep running into problems mid-flower on this strain - starting to yellow from the bottom up - now losing several leaves per day... my other strains seem in good health under same conditions (other plants getting more nutes). I think the soil was a bit warm for her at transplant before flower (clawing tips) - but there haven't been any new growth forming the claw since switching to 12/12

Grown in re-ammended biobizz soil - under LED - water PH around 6.5 - 7 ...

I've barely been feeding much biobizz (mainly a bit of bioheaven and algamic) but added about 2 tablespoons of plagron bat guano and EWC in week 1 and 4 of flower as a top dress...

Not sure if I'm being over cautious with nutes and she's hungry -- or PH sensitive -- Mag? I'm pretty clueless...
20210829_220801.jpg
20210829_220828.jpg

Attachments

• 20210827_221839.jpg
    20210827_221839.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210829_220809.jpg
    20210829_220809.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 29

troutman

Seed Whore
Drop the pH just a little. 6.5 is the max that I use and I much prefer closer to 6.2 - 6.3.
Clawing normally happens from too much nutrients.I don't see anything really wrong
with the plants to be honest. Maybe, try adding a tiny more nutrients to slow down the
yellowing.

Note: some yellowing bottom leaves is natural when plants flower.

skillz

Ya .. this isn't the first time tho with this strain .. it seems like they are going from green to yellow to dead faster than just the 'natural yellowing' you mentioned and that I've seen on other plants...

20210509_204442.jpg
20210611_221614.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your plants are ok, and letting those bottom leaves turn yellow is not going to hurt anything. I wouldn't give those plants any fertilizer at this point. . Do a pour through catch some run-off and get an EC reading on the next watering day. While you have some run-off, test the pH too. You'll see with a test. 😎

skillz

Your plants are ok, and letting those bottom leaves turn yellow is not going to hurt anything. I wouldn't give those plants any fertilizer at this point. . Do a pour through catch some run-off and get an EC reading on the next watering day. While you have some run-off, test the pH too. You'll see with a test. 😎

thanks -- just so we're clear --- the first post is the current grow (at 30 days flower) .. the second post is the last round at around day 60....

I don't have EC pen and understood it serves little purpose in organic soil... I will check PH run-off tho...

midwestkid

Veteran
I've seen similar affects in some of my plants when I get a little carried away with watering... is there a chance they've been over watered once or twice? That's what those lower leaves are telling me personally, but I'm no expert.
the handful of Haze plants I've grown have preferred drier feet. Might be worth experimenting with next time?

skillz

I've seen similar affects in some of my plants when I get a little carried away with watering... is there a chance they've been over watered once or twice? That's what those lower leaves are telling me personally, but I'm no expert.
the handful of Haze plants I've grown have preferred drier feet. Might be worth experimenting with next time?

that could be possible, this one is in a 5 gallon pot and had to water early while leaving for a long weekend last week - I have 2 other plants (same strain different phenos) are in 3 gallon pots and seem to have a much quicker wet/dry cycle ...

I'll make sure to let her dry out properly before next watering ...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

He's in organic soil, yet we constantly hear about run off? This comes from coco, which is nothing more than fibers for the lack of a better word. Water takes the path of least resistance. Therefore your run off could be no more than your "starting" water, with perhaps trace elements (some, read not an accurate reading)? If the pot was properly hydrated and left to properly saturate, then by all means. But lets be honest here. Who does that?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I've barely been feeding much biobizz (mainly a bit of bioheaven and algamic) but added about 2 tablespoons of plagron bat guano and EWC in week 1 and 4 of flower as a top dress...

It is always best to put amendments in more soil, let that compost for a while and then use that to top up the plant. I also always add 1 tablespoon of magnesium lime (Maerl, dolomite lime) to new soil or base mix, to stabilize the pH and add a magnesium source.

Grown in re-ammended biobizz soil - under LED - water PH around 6.5 - 7 ...

Keep the pH at 7, or even a little higher. If anything this looks like a mobile nutrient deficiency, which happens at the lower pHs. Top damage/trace element/non-mobile nutrient deficiencies happen at the higher pH ranges.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
He's in organic soil, yet we constantly hear about run off? This comes from coco, which is nothing more than fibers for the lack of a better word. Water takes the path of least resistance. Therefore your run off could be no more than your "starting" water, with perhaps trace elements (some, read not an accurate reading)? If the pot was properly hydrated and left to properly saturate, then by all means. But lets be honest here. Who does that?

I do pour throughs all the time with every mix because I want to know what I have to work with. . I most especially check everything when there's a problem Switcher56 organic or soil-less! It is easy to make a mistake when guessing what to feed a plant! 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
thanks -- just so we're clear --- the first post is the current grow (at 30 days flower) .. the second post is the last round at around day 60....

I don't have EC pen and understood it serves little purpose in organic soil... I will check PH run-off tho...

I don't know where you heard that EC readings don't matter in organic soil. The EC reading is different from fertilizer salts, but the electrolytes have a conductivity that can be read. I don't know anyone in the greenhouse business that doesn't do pour-throughs. I do readings on everything I use period. I recommend every good horticulturist own an EC meter! 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The EC of a patch of soil is measured in miliSiemens per meter (mS/m) or deciSiemens per meter (dS/m) and can provide a lot of helpful information about soil health.

EC readings can reveal:
  • Plant nutrient availability
  • Salinity of soil
  • Soil micro-organism activity
  • Soil texture type (and its water permeability)
  • Overall soil health

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The difference between someone that knows what they are doing, and someone that doesn't know, is an EC or TDS meter. If you take readings from the very first day until now, you would know what you have used and what's left in the container. You have no idea and that's why you're here now. If my EC drops from 3936 ppm to 800 in the last 2 weeks of flowering I want to know about it way before it happens and prevent it. That's why I do pour-throughs from day one until chop.
Good luck my friend and happy gardening.😎

skillz

thanks for the explanations ... there are so many differing opinions and methods out there - it can be overwhelming to new growers...

this is from the Plagron website : If you are growing organic with our 100% NATURAL products you don’t need to worry about the EC (and pH) value. This is because organic nutrients are partially absorbed by the soil life. This means you can’t measure the full EC value when growing organic. It isn't really necessary either, since the organic soil life regulates the amount of nutrients your plant receives.

https://www.plagron.com/en/grow-topics/what-does-ec-value-mean

Latest posts

Latest posts