What's new

Random sudden wilting

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Attaching pics. Running in coco, pretty stable temps, no problems with watering or anything like that just doing once a day with head's 6/9 coco recipe. Everything was chugging along fine until yesterday morning, noticed one plant wilting/leaves crisping, then a handful of other plants followed.

Would really like to not have to toss all these as two of them I only have one clone of, but also idc if it's a pathogen they gotta go. Anyone seen anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_113855237.jpg
    IMG_20210702_113855237.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 39

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Only one of the pics I tried to upload attached in the OP

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_113911784.jpg
    IMG_20210702_113911784.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210702_113923088.jpg
    IMG_20210702_113923088.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210702_113834731.jpg
    IMG_20210702_113834731.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 46

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Is this a technique you have been using for a long time?? My guess would be over watering and no root development. If you have microscope, check the mangy leaves for broadmites. I had them in much more established plants, and killed everything.

If they are clones, were they well established in rockwool cubes first?

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Yeah I'm quite familiar with growing in coco. There's no mites, the root development is normal for this stage of growth, they were growing vigorously 48 hours ago.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Its not a problem, its time to up-pot into a larger size container! Your plants are signaling to you its time to transplant into a larger container and start growing. I don't pack my substrate, just water it in with water instead of hand packing. Packed soils, make it harder for the roots to move through out the media. Over packed soils lack oxygen in the root zone too! 😎

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It that's in 24 hours, perhaps you fed them something wrong.

Roadblock

Its not a problem, its time to up-pot into a larger size container! Your plants are signaling to you its time to transplant into a larger container and start growing. I don't pack my substrate, just water it in with water instead of hand packing. Packed soils, make it harder for the roots to move through out the media. Over packed soils lack oxygen in the root zone too! 😎

If that was the issue they would stand turgid after watering, might be more to it.

Plants that size should have a pretty full root system enough that you can pull it out of the cup with the coco not falling to bits, if its less of a developed root system a root pathogen can sit them this quick, Id be pulling them out of the cup and looking at the roots closely, it doesn't take much to create a root breathing issue which is the beginning of a chain reaction of symptoms, rarely is the nutrient so long as its not burning them, 90% of problems indoors begins from root zone air-water ratios, when that is right the plants metabolism is firing, when its wrong they sit down and get sick or wallow along slowly.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Tip one of the plants out of the container and get a look at the roots. You need to get those transplanted on time or you will run into problems just like you have now. What do you have to lose by up potting at this point or sooner? I can see you have root damage by the wilting which is caused from water management. Also if possible remove them to the outdoors after the transplant for a couple of days and you will see them improve.😎

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's still very quick for rot. It's like they have no roots. Like they didn't get watered at all. No stress signs from progressing to this point, Just a sudden fail. Such as forgetting to water them.

Is h2o2 being used? Like.. did the roots get burnt off. Or do you mix in a bucket, that you washed the car with yesterday. Or do you spray them, with a sprayer that got used to kill off some weeds in the garden (is doesn't look like a leaf induced issue)

Perhaps you just drempt that you watered them yesterday. It seems the best fit

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Attaching pics. Running in coco, pretty stable temps, no problems with watering or anything like that just doing once a day with head's 6/9 coco recipe. Everything was chugging along fine until yesterday morning, noticed one plant wilting/leaves crisping, then a handful of other plants followed.

Would really like to not have to toss all these as two of them I only have one clone of, but also idc if it's a pathogen they gotta go. Anyone seen anything like this?

1. It is some kind of fungal infection or wilt.
2. I see a carpet.

Grow rooms should be lined with plastic, chalk (antiseptic) or steel. The plants are pretty much gone, and nothing good is going to happen until the carpet is dealt with.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Any case I would get them out of the grow. The only sure way to know is to have a tissue sample tested for verticillium wilt. Anytime there's a question between fungus or virus one needs to segregate the sick from flock into isolation right away. I would just up-pot the sick and put them outdoors or in another grow and see what happens. If you remove them from the area that's causing the problem and the other plants are not effected then you can rule out the environment.😎

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
One problem I had once, and ruined entire crop was, calibrating cheap yellow PH meter at only 7. My batteries were dying, and it was way off, causing nutrient lockout. Since then I test at 7 and 4, which gurantee's accurate reading.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
It was definitely verticillium or fusarium, I didn't know that about carpets!!! Everything's being moved into a proper grow area this week, the little closet was just a stop gap measure. I hit them with physan 20 and most of the wilting plants recovered, I just tossed the worst ones.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Depends what your carpet is made of. I have never had any problems and there is nearly always some present. I have even carpeted my tent. Using a nice deep pile over an underlay. A new one will off-gas though, especially latex foam backed ones. That new house smell, that's basically toxic. Though I have not had my plants die because of a new carpet.

My tank stands upon a carpet sample book. It keeps the pump further from my floor. I use lots of it. Typically a carpeted growroom floor will end up with black stripes where the floorboards meet. Caused by air coming through from voids below that usually collect dirt, not supply it. It's one of the signs a grow has taken place, that can't be painted over. This drawing air through carpet causes no issue. Certainly not an overnight collapse.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, and the idea is carpets harbour dirt and spores for many years. They are filthy things really.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Depends what your carpet is made of. I have never had any problems and there is nearly always some present. I have even carpeted my tent. Using a nice deep pile over an underlay. A new one will off-gas though, especially latex foam backed ones. That new house smell, that's basically toxic. Though I have not had my plants die because of a new carpet.

My tank stands upon a carpet sample book. It keeps the pump further from my floor. I use lots of it. Typically a carpeted growroom floor will end up with black stripes where the floorboards meet. Caused by air coming through from voids below that usually collect dirt, not supply it. It's one of the signs a grow has taken place, that can't be painted over. This drawing air through carpet causes no issue. Certainly not an overnight collapse.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, and the idea is carpets harbour dirt and spores for many years. They are filthy things really.
The thing is that every time you step on a carpet, a small cloud of dust and spores gets into the air. Indoors, that is likely to get on the leaves.

If liquid is spilled on it, that becomes a food source and a water source as well.

It can go right for a while until it doesn't - and then usually the cause isn't clear. Sudden wilting, or mildew, or nutrient lockout from mildew or similar fungi, leaf septoria, etc. It is just best to get off to a clean start.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That is food for thought. An angle I have not really thought about. They say the pavement is cleaner. There is just so much airborne stuff we can't control, but it's no reason not to try :)

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I've got it all over pavement now in the garage, wilting stunted a few of that plants that I then tossed. Seems like its all good now luckily. I hit everything with physan20 and all but 1 plant was recoverable, I just didn't want to baby the ones who really showed damage. I ended up taking clones off of one of the plants that I only had 1 copy of and it rooted and is growing fine now. Disaster averted

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thank you so much, for sharing your grow and helping us to learn about root rot or fungus. If I may recommend, not to use any clones from any outside grows ever. Also, I wouldn't use any clones from anything that came from this grow either. Only use seeded plants and clone your own best plants and never use anyone else's clones. Sorry for your loss. 😎