What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I don't understand this leaves symptoms

GanjaPassion

Hello friends! Could you help me to identify my plant problems?
My plants shows leaves symptoms I can't associate with the cause. The top bigger leaves look as shown in photo. The symptoms is spreading from top to lower leaves. Am I overfeeding my plant? I'm using 20-20-20 NPK with 50/50 light-mix/all mix substrate from biobizz.
It will be dead in a shot time if I don't understand how to fix the situation.
Please help me.
Thank you!

St. Phatty

Am I overfeeding my plant?

Probably. Everybody does it.

It's easier to over-nute than to under-nute.

PROBABLY what will work is to flush with pH neutral water.

As far as added nutes - what kind of soil ?

Some soil has so much nutes it's like adding chocolate sprinkles to a shake that already has chocolate sprinkles.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Maybe get some different soil and up-pot into it, losing whatever you can from the rootball without damage. Bigger pots, more microbes, less light, lotsa water. I have had to pull my first run through couple times that way. Also, don't let the soil get dry. I don't know how to over water a bag that sits on a drain spider.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello friends! Could you help me to identify my plant problems?
My plants shows leaves symptoms I can't associate with the cause. The top bigger leaves look as shown in photo. The symptoms is spreading from top to lower leaves. Am I overfeeding my plant? I'm using 20-20-20 NPK with 50/50 light-mix/all mix substrate from biobizz.
It will be dead in a shot time if I don't understand how to fix the situation.
Please help me.
Thank you!

That's magnesium deficiency/lockout. I would have added a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime to the light mix and all mix. Then feed with a light (0.4 EC flowering solution and 0.1 EC epsom salt) blooming formula (P) to stimulate root growth, so the roots can grow into the all-mix and feed the plant.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Just by looking, I agree with TMagic. Soil has become acidified, nutrients are now locked out. Can you elaborate on the mixing strength of your nutrients? Are you checking ph of your nute solution? Also describe your water/feed cycle.

PolyChucker

You can get a small squirt bottle of CalMag on fleabay. Only one tiny squirt into a gallon jug of water - about 1/4tsp. I used to wait for plants to show deficiency before adding it but now I add a tiny bit to every gallon. In the tiny amount you add per gallon it’s very cheap and a small bottle will last you a long time.
Plant might improve rather quickly - in a couple days if that was the issue. For me the yellow veins is always fixed by calmag.
Adding a lot of NPK means other things will run out like cal/mag. Seems like there’s not too much N or the leaves would be dark so the fert rate is ok just needs balancing with other minerals.

Mattbho

Repot it into fresh soil and save the 20 20 20 for the lawn or garden . U could use it for veg but at like 1/10th of what u used . Less is definitely better when your starting

GanjaPassion

Probably. Everybody does it.

It's easier to over-nute than to under-nute.

PROBABLY what will work is to flush with pH neutral water.

As far as added nutes - what kind of soil ?

Some soil has so much nutes it's like adding chocolate sprinkles to a shake that already has chocolate sprinkles.

Thank you for your answer :)
My substrate is 40% light mix by biobizz 40% all mix by biobizz and 20% expanded clay (at the bottom of the pot)

GanjaPassion

Maybe get some different soil and up-pot into it, losing whatever you can from the rootball without damage. Bigger pots, more microbes, less light, lotsa water. I have had to pull my first run through couple times that way. Also, don't let the soil get dry. I don't know how to over water a bag that sits on a drain spider.

The pots are 45lt pots so they are not small (I think? :dunno:), i use the finger tip rule to give my plant water. it takes 3-4 days to the dirt to dry up.
Sorry for my bad english it's not my first language.

GanjaPassion

That's magnesium deficiency/lockout. I would have added a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime to the light mix and all mix. Then feed with a light (0.4 EC flowering solution and 0.1 EC epsom salt) blooming formula (P) to stimulate root growth, so the roots can grow into the all-mix and feed the plant.

Does the blooming formula increase the root growth more than the vegetative fertilizer formula?

GanjaPassion

Just by looking, I agree with TMagic. Soil has become acidified, nutrients are now locked out. Can you elaborate on the mixing strength of your nutrients? Are you checking ph of your nute solution? Also describe your water/feed cycle.

If the soild has become acidified and nutrients are now locked out can i give sodium bicarbonate solution to raise soil ph? What do you mean with "mixing strength of your nutrients?" No i am not checking the ph of my solution. I give water 1 time a week and 1 time a week the nutrient solution.

GanjaPassion

You can get a small squirt bottle of CalMag on fleabay. Only one tiny squirt into a gallon jug of water - about 1/4tsp. I used to wait for plants to show deficiency before adding it but now I add a tiny bit to every gallon. In the tiny amount you add per gallon it’s very cheap and a small bottle will last you a long time.
Plant might improve rather quickly - in a couple days if that was the issue. For me the yellow veins is always fixed by calmag.
Adding a lot of NPK means other things will run out like cal/mag. Seems like there’s not too much N or the leaves would be dark so the fert rate is ok just needs balancing with other minerals.

In my country i can get the Cal Mag by biobizz is it ok?

GanjaPassion

Repot it into fresh soil and save the 20 20 20 for the lawn or garden . U could use it for veg but at like 1/10th of what u used . Less is definitely better when your starting

Thank you for your answer
I will try washing the sustrate first if the situation get worst i will repot.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
"Finger test" on top watering will get you in trouble. If you can water from the bottom somehow, that works a lot better for me in soil. As for nutes, if your soil is good you should be able to do without. My biggest lesson learned in my first grows was to supply enough water. In early veg that is 1/2 a gallon / day for 7 gallon pots. In flower the usage is up to a gallon a day for those same size pots. Dry soil with dead microbes will make the leafs indicate a deficiency, but the deficiency may be of the ions of that element, and it takes water to make ions.

I use rootwise microbe complete, and add their enzyme booster. Every time I top water in some nutes from a tea, I re-innoculate.

I have blumat water sensors. The bottom wicking SIP bed makes them read 32 or so in the middle of the pot, which is pretty moist. The plants and roots love it. I am in fabric bags on a SIP bed.

Cal-mag is a mystery to me when under LEDs in the veg growth stage. The plant leaves indicate deficiency, the plant seems to like the cal-mag, then I put them outside and the plants stops all leaf discoloration, in the same soil with just water. I can't explain it, but the plants thrive when I get a month of root development, then put them under the sun. After a few weeks of that, they are much bigger, and they come inside to flower.

Last edited:

Mattbho

Op please don't follow bad advice more nuitrients is only going to make the problem worse . U really have to get that 20 parts nitrogen outta the soil 1 way or another. I don't think flushing is a good idea because u will have to run 500l threw the pot then it will be overwatered .

If u can't replant it minus the fertilizer then u must run about 5 -10x the volume threw the soil.

If u must flush , a great tip I've learned is when your done flushing put the smart pots on a thick ass folded towels it will suck the excess water from the pot and leave it in the towel. Do it until the pot isn't excessively heavy

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Does the blooming formula increase the root growth more than the vegetative fertilizer formula?
Absolutely. It is the higher phosphorus (P) in the bloom and the lower nitrogen (N) which makes it milder, that stimulates root growth, even more than root stimulators. And you don't need a lot of it (0.4 EC), if the roots are growing into fertilized soil.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Hey bro, sorry you're getting conflicting advice. Anytime that happens, Trust the people who post pix of Healthy, Finished plants. Ignore everything else.

"Mixing strength" means how much fertilizer per gallon. For purpose of discussion, just what measure per gallon? Most of us measure with an EC meter. A cheap one is fine. Measuring the ph of your nutrient solution is important.

Contrary to popular belief, soil does not buffer everything. If you use ro, filtered, spring, or distilled water the ph change from just a little bit of nutes can be drastic. I'm talking from Neutral 7 to an Acidic 4 with just half a teaspoon. Check your ph and EC values even for soil grows. Letting it go unchecked lands you in a spot you do not want to be.

Also your watering schedule should probably be Feed, Water, Water, Feed, Water, Water....

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I quite like the low pH from excess feeding idea. Many charts look at downward curling as copper or more likely potassium deficiency. People think of it as N toxicity, which is likely the underlying cause as N makes copper and potassium unavailable. So with feeds high in N we see the dark green leaves, while difficulty with Cu and K can cause curling. We also speak of excessive leaf tissue growth causing a downward curl. All this looks like high N or generally toxicity where N is playing a big role. I also see what looks like some P signs to me. I'm looking at what others would be calling Mg, thinking P as towards the end you get a blacked out leaf. Either way, low pH isn't good for these. Nor is high EC.

A 10L pot needs 20L to flush it. Best done with a good watering first, then a little soak, then the rest of the flush. Recently a post was made about foliar application of Mg being great for pushing N out. This seems like of of them times that could be of great use. Bit of a foliar Mg application, then the flash a couple of hours later. Make it work for you.

You really need an ec and ph meter to check the state of things. The pair come from Ali-land for $10

Edit: you can look at my pics. They are all dead. Very dead. I have come in a third lower on two consecutive crops. I'm killing it man.

St. Phatty

If the soild has become acidified and nutrients are now locked out can i give sodium bicarbonate solution to raise soil ph? What do you mean with "mixing strength of your nutrients?" No i am not checking the ph of my solution. I give water 1 time a week and 1 time a week the nutrient solution.

Might be better to give potassium carbonate, similar to Wood Ash.

Sodium for plants ... not sure about that.

GanjaPassion

I'm trying all your suggestions guys, but the situation doesn't seem to get better. I will keep flushing the substrate. Meanwhile I will start another girl because, if this one survive, that will be productive :smokeit:

Latest posts

Latest posts