What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, a little leaf trouble

rrrone

Hi everybody,

I've got my first few plants ever growing from seed, and the one that's the furthest along has developed these spots on it's first leaves,

They're growing in Coast of Maine's stonington blend, only being fed water, I can't find any pests, I'm really not sure what might have caused this,

does this look familiar to anyone?

Attachments

• photo2042416.jpg
    photo2042416.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 25

Cuddles

I´m not familiar with this grow medium, but I´m guessing it´s a nute problem . what kind of nutrients does it contain?

rrrone

It's a pre-made super-soil, I've got some other seedlings going in it that haven't shown any trouble yet, but they're all a few weeks behind, still on their first 2 leaves

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your leave bronzing is caused from watering issues. Allow the soil to dry between watering and only water when the top is dry. "Water Only Grows" need pure water without impurities for best results. 😎

rrrone

Thanks for taking a look! I think you're right, I went a little overboard on the water, I'll pay more attention to letting the soil dry out

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi everybody,

I've got my first few plants ever growing from seed, and the one that's the furthest along has developed these spots on it's first leaves,

They're growing in Coast of Maine's stonington blend, only being fed water, I can't find any pests, I'm really not sure what might have caused this,

does this look familiar to anyone?
From the manufacturer:

"Coast of Maine Organic Products Stonington Blend Grower’s Mix is a complex “super soil” designed for high performance container growing. It works well with tomatoes, and, where growing cannabis and medical marijuana is legal, growers have reported tremendous results. This soil incorporates mycorrhizal fungi, kelp, fish bone and alfalfa meal, as well as worm castings, peat, coir and lobster compost. When growing in 15 gallon containers, there is no need for additional nutrients. ... It is OMRI listed for use in organic gardens ... Target pH 6.3"

That seems to be a very low pH, including for organic growing. Also, I like to plant in supersoil that has a layer of lighter base mix on top of it. That way the roots can safely grow into the hotter soil.

You can also make fermented nutrients from plant parts, raw sugar (20% volume of each) and water. Put it away in a warm dark place for at least a week, and use in very small doses - this is to add and feed mycorrhizal fungi the soil.

Also, if the pH is 6.3, I would have added a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime.

rrrone

From the manufacturer:

That seems to be a very low pH, including for organic growing. Also, I like to plant in supersoil that has a layer of lighter base mix on top of it. That way the roots can safely grow into the hotter soil.

You can also make fermented nutrients from plant parts, raw sugar (20% volume of each) and water. Put it away in a warm dark place for at least a week, and use in very small doses - this is to add and feed mycorrhizal fungi the soil.

Also, if the pH is 6.3, I would have added a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime.

I'll definitely try planting into a layer of base mix on top on my next go round, that makes perfect sense to me

I'll keep an eye on my ph as well, once everything drys back out

I've been reading a bit about the fermented nutrients, and I definitely want to give it a try once I've got my watering cycles a little more under control

I really appreciate the advice everyone

Latest posts

Latest posts