What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bug ID

Naindejardin

Does anyone have an idea what these are? I believe mite, but what kind and are they detrimental? Had to have come in the soil.

Attachments

• photo2036760.jpg
    photo2036760.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 20
  • photo2036772.jpg
    photo2036772.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 21

Growenhaft

they are predatory mites. probably a tribe of Amblyseius.
they are benign to plants. feed on spider mites and thrips.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think they are also called "worm bin mites". I got a some worms, and the soil I put them in is crawling with little red mites that move fast like those.

If you look at my 2nd grow diary, I think the tailed seeds were damaged by them, but I am not sure. They were in the soil. The plants that survived are OK now.

I am gonna get some different starting soil and use that in the dixie cups, then put a started seedling into the mite infested soil when up-potting, just to be sure.

Naindejardin

I could sprinkle some cinnamon, and some neem meal I guess wouldn’t hurt. Do you think that cinnamon would affect the soil microbes I use Tribus and MammothP (and dipped the roots in Great White)? If they’re actually beneficial mites then I’m not gonna mess with em.