This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my even easier solution.

Insects hate microbes (except when they have a symbiotic relationship with eachother). Therefore, anything that has rotted or is fermenting does the trick.

Non-aerated worm tea works a charm, as does anything that you fermented with sugar/molassis. Apply regularly until the problem has resolved itself.

Comment

Interesting. Care to expand on your experience? I've read a lot about non-aerated but rarely come across anyone that has tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by TanzanianMagic View Post
        Here is my even easier solution.

Insects hate microbes (except when they have a symbiotic relationship with eachother). Therefore, anything that has rotted or is fermenting does the trick.

Non-aerated worm tea works a charm, as does anything that you fermented with sugar/molassis. Apply regularly until the problem has resolved itself.
        I want to know more about this also because nothing really seemst eradicate them.

Comment

a microbe bath? that does sound very interesting, and makes a kind of sense
          i will repost one suggestion i've seen, or seemed good
          spraying doesn't cut it, tiny insects will find tiny hiding places, which means brief respite then reinfestation
          inverting your plants into a bucket, and a complete treatment is done, no place to hide
          i haven't tried it so read more before you try, and it would seem to be for smaller plants
          current grow: www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7872194

Comment

Originally posted by Clackamas Coot View Post
            Bud Bug

Just a note about 'Growing Edge' magazine - this publication is out of Corvallis, Oregon by Tom Alexander

Tom was the original editor/publisher of a magazine back in the late 1980's known as 'Sinsimelia Tips' which was published 4 times per year. It made 'High Times' the joke that they continued.

Tom had a store in Corvallis known as 'Full Moon Garden Center' which morphed into 'Full Moon Publishing' that is the name of the publisher for 'Growing Edge' magazine.

If it weren't for 'Black Thursday' and the brutal aftermath, his magazine would have eventually buried 'High Times' - no contest.

CC
            Thanks for the info. Glad to see Oregonians here. I am just down the street from you in Oregon City. Growing some Spicy White Devil in hydro. I am going big on the medium. Where do you shop for supplies? I am get mine from Advanced Indoor Grow just off the Gladstone exit. Steve is a good dude and the prices are the best I have found.

Comment

try a product called the guardian works wonders over night

Comment

SNS-217 with a littl Azadirachtin on the side

I'm a lifelong Oregonian, grown for many years but until I moved to Eugene 22 years ago, I'd never actually "seen" or noticed spider mites. The mites in this area are very healthy and have developed resistance to most benign things like pyrethins. Since landing here, I've never had an indoor or greenhouse crop that did not get mites. Strangely, when my plants are outside but not in a greenhouse they do not get mites. It's nice during the summer but obviously doesn't help at other times.

If I had to choose a single product, hands down it would be Sierra Natural Solutions SNS-217 (I actually use the concentrate, SNS-217c and add water).

SNS-217 does one thing that other "benign" insectisides don't, in addition to killing the bugs, IT KILLS THE EGGS.

I

Comment

SNS-217, ventilation, plus an adjustable direction spray bot

For some reason While I was typing my previous response it posted. It wasn't quite compete.

I wanted to mention that the wind obviously must have a lot to do with my outdoor crops not getting mites. Good ventilation may be the best weapon other than insectisides.

I'd also like to bring up some other things before I go back into SNS-217. Another active ingredient of some "benign" pesticides that works almost as well as SNS-217 is Azadirachtin (a derivative of neem). I've decided to stop using it even though it is cheaper than SNS-217. Azadirachtin is prohibited in the European Union and apparently toxic to aquatic life. Spinosad, I've not used because it kills bees. If you use it, keep it inside. I have not tried Floramite, however its active ingredient, Bifenazate, is also toxic to aquatic life. I have spent thousands of dollars on predatory insects of all types and it was a waste of thousands of dollars. In all cases, the predators have died and the mites thrived.

SNS-217 kills the live bugs with Rosemary Oil and it kills the eggs by coating them with the other ingredients (polyglyceryl oleate) and suffocating them. This is why it is so effective. A "poor man's SNS-217" would be a 2% rosemary oil + 98% water, but you'd lose out on the egg suffocation. Adding polyglyceryl oleate is somewhat expensive and excuses the price.

Overall SNS-217 is the hands-down winner.

Also, to save your back, you'll want to get a sprayer that has a directional tip. For example, I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Precipitator-3.../dp/B002OUCMWI

Comment

IPM integrated Pest Management.

Honestly.

Water. Is your #1 Spider Mite KILLER!!!

Just gotta know how to do it.

Mites hate moisture and cooler temps.

They love dry dusty hot conditions.

An easy preventative measure to mites is to spray down your garden, granted its not 50 400gallon pots on a mountain side lol.

But you will have to do it at a regular interval to keep the plants clean. Sometimes its not about eradicating the pests and just managing them.

I know we all don't want them but sometimes you can do better by just dealing with them naturally and simply than by making a huge fuss.

Out doors is so hard to keep clean especially in Sourthern California... too many lazy - thoughtless - unaware Landlords and property owners who Harbor pests on their properties in the trees and "gardens" letting them spread out infinitely...

Its an epidemic... people are completely oblivious to the fact that their property is wrecking the whole neighborhood...
                    Theres way too much incredible and awesome knowledge on ICMag, for anyone person to have the time to keep up with just a fraction of what this entire industry is doing. Politically, economically, medicinally, socially, recreationally changing the world, and eye salute you all, everyone of you, for helping make the world a better place, one grow at a time. Sat Nam

Comment

Originally posted by LyryC View Post
                      IPM integrated Pest Management.

Honestly.

Water. Is your #1 Spider Mite KILLER!!!

Just gotta know how to do it.

Mites hate moisture and cooler temps.

They love dry dusty hot conditions.

The mites here are kinda used to water even if they don't like it. It rains a ton in Oregon. Doubtful that water would even phaze the eggs. You'd really have to stay on top of them because mites will be back in a couple days. And keep in mind, mold devastates plants pretty much overnight here, even strains known be mold resistant. From my experience using predator mites, which require high humidity, spraying with only water can be a bad thing, especially inside or in a greenhouse.

To be fair SNS-217 is "mostly water", right? But the other components help kill eggs. I won't make claims as to it being "anti-fungal" in any regard but there is evidence that rosemary oil is. But, how good and at what concentration - dunno. And, the components that kill the eggs are "soap-like/surfactant-like" so they coat the leaves/eggs better. Again, no claim, but it probably helps vs. fungus.

Comment

What worked for me and it's not organic but killed them fuckers.

I bought 3 little bottles off of amazon I think.

Avid
                        Floramite
                        Forbid

I mix it to the instructions on the bottles.

First day I mixed all 3 Ingridents In the water bottle and applied all day.

Every 4 days I would spray a product rotating for 3 weeks.
                        Avid 4 days
                        Forbid 4 days
                        Floramite 4 days
                        All 3 4 days

This has kept them down for a long while.

The plants that are treated are then cloned and cloned and cloned.

Then treated with sns till flower. Then just let the girls ride

I would get it taken care of first then start the grow all over.

Don't want them chems in the flowers

Comment

HAH, I'll just go ahead and save myself hundreds of dollars and buy pure rosemary.

Polyglyceral oleate is an emulsifier. While many have insecticidal properties, I've yet to see a comparison between yucca or any other that justifies being assfucked in the wallet.

Don't be a mark, make your mark XD

Comment

And the 3 little bottles cost about 100.

If you buy it in the regular size you will spend a lot.

I keep my strains in beer cups of coco and at the time only had 3 girls.

Comment

Originally posted by marrdogg View Post
                              I want to know more about this also because nothing really seemst eradicate them.
                              Sorry for the delay, a lot happening this year.

I try to keep it as simple and natural as possible. Take a container (jar with a lid, bottle, bucket), and put the relevant organic matter (growtips for growth, flowers for flowering), put them in the container and crush them up a little. Add molassis or another sugar source (haven't tried fruits without molassis, however that would make sense), add water. If you make sure the vegetable matter stays below the water/brine, it won't stink.

You add a quarter teaspoon or less to a quart of water (I use filtered, with maerl added overnight to re-mineralize it), and pour it over your plants from top to bottom.

I think this is the best way to use molassis.

Comment

...had a situation with spider mites...used Captain Jack's DeadBug...BAMMM...no more spider mites...

Comment

Working...
                                X