This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humble1 View Post
    As far as the yucca goes IDK about yucca as an effective foliar wetting agent. Also, the two things you mentioned have food in them which is a no-no for foliar apps w/ pesticides. Use a drop/gallon Palmolive soap if you don't have anything else. I use wet betty or penetrator.
    The leaf dwellers dont seem to be too hard to get rid of, its the soil dwellers I am having promblems with. How come I cant just put the pyrethins in my regular nutrient mixture?
    sigpic
    "We're down with chillin, not killin... knaw what I'm sayyyn?"

Comment

you can put the pyrethrins in your nute mix, but unless you're doing ebb'n'flow with the flow equal to the height of your soil/medium line the aphids will just crawl up to the unaffected area and hang out there. Dunking your whole root mass is the only way for the pyrethrins to be completely effective. IDK why it's more effective without food in the mix; just what I noticed from trial and error.
      Originally posted by Classyathome
      Crips and Bloods ain't got nuthin' on Moses, Mohammed and Jesus.
      "Stealth Hamsters don't exist, do they?"

Comment

you can put the pyrethrins in your nute mix, but unless you're doing ebb'n'flow with the flow equal to the height of your soil/medium line the aphids will just crawl up to the unaffected area and hang out there. Dunking your whole root mass is the only way for the pyrethrins to be completely effective. IDK why it's more effective without food in the mix; just what I noticed from trial and error.
        Ok so the only thing that my shop had in stock was Monterey "Take Down" spray, which is .01% Pyrethrins, 1.0% Canola Oil, 98.99% Inert Ingredients.

EDIT: MONTEREY TAKE DOWN IS NOT EFFECTIVE AND NOT RECOMMENDED.

This stuff was not intented for use as a drench, but I'm going to use it anyway... Do you know what kind of concentration I should use? Or more appropriately, do you know the concentration of the BugBusterO that you were using and how many ml/gallon you used? Thank you for your input by the way, it is much appreciated.
        sigpic

Comment

You want Pyreth-It. If your store doesn't have it and won't order it (although it is carried by the major distributors) then you should order it online.

Comment

You want Pyreth-It. If your store doesn't have it and won't order it (although it is carried by the major distributors) then you should order it online.
            Unfortunately I cannot afford to wait for my shop to order it and I dont have a debit card to order stuff online.

So I am going to go ahead and try the Monterey .01% at a few different concentrations on just a few plants... I will be back in several days with a report.

EDIT: I REPORT THAT IT DOESNT WORK.
            sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by milehighmedical View Post
                At least I have some gnatrol sitting around, I didn't want to use it in fear of bothering the girls.
                gnatrol isn't for aphids. it's for gnats. it's specific strain of Bt.
                you're just spinning your wheels trying to use it on root aphids.

Comment

Any suggestions? Google doesn't show much for CA, NGW says no shipping to CA either.
                  sigpic
                  "I'm paranoid, If I'm trippin' it's my apology - high as fuck, I shoulda studied astronomy"

Originally posted by randude101
                  The weed business needs a unique type.

Comment

There are other generic pyrethrins to be had in high doses. Try sunshine gardens ebay store and rosemania online. you should be able to find something. if not, call around to a bunch of stores and find out who has some leftovers on the shelves. the stuff doesn't really go bad unless you cook it.
                    btw if you aren't afraid of real poison and don't need it in bloom atm, merit is the way to go imho. imidiclaprod is the active ingredient in that one, and yes it is systemic. if you don't want to buy a whole bottle you can pm me for a store in the bay area that will break you off just a little bit for the right price.

Comment

Comment

if you aren't afraid of real poison and don't need it in bloom atm, merit is the way to go imho. imidiclaprod is the active ingredient in that one, and yes it is systemic. if you don't want to buy a whole bottle you can pm me for a store in the bay area that will break you off just a little bit for the right price.
                        How long does the imid stay in the plant?
                        sigpic

Comment

Do either of these bugs bite humans?

Comment

gnatrol isn't for aphids. it's for gnats. it's specific strain of Bt.
                            you're just spinning your wheels trying to use it on root aphids.
                            Your statement conflicts with bergerbuddy's earlier in this thread. I hate when that happens. FWIW, my hydro shop guy pointed me toward a BT solution (not Gnatrol...can't look now since lights are out...will update if I remember) for my aphid issue. Is Gnatrol (BTI) no good for aphids but other BT organisms can be used for aphids or are all BT variants useless against aphids? We need to hash this out more.

A big bottle of Bayer Fruit and Vegetable pesticide solution containing .25% Imid cost me $14 at Home Depot. Pretty cheap.

ETA: No, neither bug will bite humans.
                            Ron Paul for President 2012! Join the Revolution!
                            http://www.ronpaul2012.com
                            ------------------
                            IGT's 2600w Perpetual Hydro Garden (8400w of CO2'ed trees underway but sorry cant post it up...opsec and all)

Comment

BTi is specifically for the order diptera: flies and such.
                              this does not include any of the superfamily Aphidoidea that encompasses both regular aphids and phylloxera (root aphids).
                              As far as I know there is no BT variant effective for aphids.

Comment

Using Gnatrol had NO effect on my root aphid problem, at least using the max recommended dosing didn't kill them.... The reading I did on gnatrol backs up what Humble1 is saying, it is a very specific bacteria which is why it is safe for us to use.

I will say that the Zero Tolerance treatment killed the bugs, but as a root drench it also killed my plants. As I stated earlier, I tried it as a foliar (like it is designed) but it didn't work so I emailed the company who makes it. They instructed me to use 1/2 reccomended dose as a root drench and my plants died.

I will be trying Azatrol next time I get these things (and I think I have spotted some of these since the weather warmed up) as a root drench and may try imidiclaprod if Azatrol isn't effective.
                                My 800W CMH 400W HPS Multi-Strain Perpetual Grow
                                http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111138

I get coughin fits when I take fat ass hits from my bong!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X