This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone who has posted!

Please note that I have made MAJOR revisions to the initial post on this thread as of 3/6/10, including addition of a lot of new information.

I have put a lot of effort into compiling all of this info to help the community, and I ask if you could please return me the favor of your help:

I need you to post all the info you can on either root aphids, phantom magnesium deficiency, or both. All the circumstances of your grow (including region if you will), what medium you do, whether you do any sprays also. Many people are also having these problems but they do not seem to be directly tied to root aphid population levels - in fact, some people with bad infestations do not experience them at all! We need to get to the bottom of this collectively! Please help!

Additionally, we have the goal of identifying and discriminating each of the types of aphids (that we may understand what is unique about each)

Please contribute to the thread if you have ANY information that is useful for these purposes and please tell us as much info as you can.

For general discussion, problems, questions etc (to get group support about your aphid problem) please visit:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70503

(As this was the original root-aphid forum with the most momentum)

Please use this thread to post information about your phantom mag def issues, photos of aphids, phantom mag def symptoms with aphids, and to share as much information as you can about your grow circumstances if you have either of these issues.

Thanks!
    -WB

Comment

OKay, I have seen stuff fly around when i open my clone trays or move a plant container.
      I have also seen something crawling in my soil before.
      I havent been able to capture or identify what it is.
      I have serious leaf death, yellowing when it shouldnt be and what looks like cal mag Def.
      My yields have dropped signifcantly by more then 1/4 over all.

I have some Gnatrol, but its a small container, hope its enough.

I was going to buy some hotshots and yellow sticky traps.
      and start applying my Gnatrol. ( maybe sulphur burner too i have one, or is that an overkill?)

Now i just need to order pyreth-it ??

Is this the stuff i need to buy, Pyreth-It Formula 2 - Pt. - broad spectrum insecticide

http://www.amazon.com/Pyreth-Formula...7971043&sr=8-2

Will this be enough or is this all the wrong stuff ?

EDIT:::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::

Okay after reading through the pages a bit more i see people saying to use Bayer Complete Insect Killer , found at local hardware stores.

Here is my plan, Soak with Bayer Complete Insect Killer , sticky traps everywhere, Hot shots on every table.
      Then just repeat the bayer treatments weekly.

Question
      Will running sulfur burner every other day 2 hours create any cross contamination with the bayer and maybe cause a reaction?
      My best friend is a calculator named what if !

May the gods piss on your plants.
      May the worms shit in your roots.
      May your yield be so heavy,
      it splits both your boots.
      May the high fucking toast you
      and the buzz leave you calm.
      May the smoke be so smooth,
      you can hit twice as long.

*DISCLAIMER: My intent is to appear to be a part of the counter culture represented by this website, and everything I present is fabricated and/or embellished. I am, in reality, not actually a part of, or in any way involved in, said counter culture.

Comment

@Centrum #153

The 1/4 loss of yeid is EXACTLY what I experienced for the first 6 months before I discovered that these were Root Aphids and not Fungus Gnats. I can't tell from your profile what type of system you use. I EB/FLOW with only hydroton and nothing else. No coco, no NADA.

So when I Eb/Flow the bastards would wash out onto my white Botanicare 4x4s. If you see small dark aphid looking bastards slowly crawling around you have what I had. You will begin seeing floating colonies that ultimately go swirling down your drain.

As Spleebale so thoroughly described, there are different types here.

Mine were Aphid shaped and look like they had almost drowned as they slowly crawled around the table after flooding. These looked just like a typical pear shaped Aphid you would see on a rose bush with two dramatic differences... they are dark brown and about three times the size of your typical rosebush Aphid.

They are delicate with feeble looking thin legs, and, with a scope, you can see what look like two twin exhaust pipes coming out the top of their backsides.

If you have these bastards DON"T FUQQ AROUND!

Go straight to IMID! I wasted about 8 mos of my life in a hell that I don't wish on my enemies! You only apply it once since it is a systemic, and is spreads into all new growth. I don't apply Imid after 5-6 weeks before harvest. It's been used in the Tobacco Industry and in all agriculture since the 60's

As I said on a previous post, I truly believe that ALL OTHER PESTICIDES, WE TYPICALLY USE, ONLY MAKES THEM COME BACK STRONGER!

I used Imid one time and have never seen another living thing, other then my innocuous little springtail friends.

You also can have Fungus Gnats as well because they are also opportunistic and take advantage of the carnage that has become your root zone.

Imid destoyed everything. The fungus Gnats have a 28 day life cycle and I saw them flying around for about 4 days then they fuqqin went to HELL ! WHERE APHIDS AND GNATS BELONG!!! (how do I really feel, huh...)
        Last edited by SickBoyZap; 03-07-2010, 15:38. Reason: spelling
        "Like gravity, KHARMA IS SO BASIC we often don't even notice it." - Sakyong Mipham

ALL CANNABIS GROWN IS FOR MEDICINAL USE ONLY!

CA S.B. 420 & CA Prop 215 Compliant .

Comment

is it just called Imid ?

is this it
          Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control Concentrate ??

Looking for something at lowes or home depot.

*DISCLAIMER: My intent is to appear to be a part of the counter culture represented by this website, and everything I present is fabricated and/or embellished. I am, in reality, not actually a part of, or in any way involved in, said counter culture.

Comment

Originally posted by from original post
            ###Questions to any who really know:

-Does H2O2 degrade Hygrozyme?
            -Does hygrozyme kill/interfere with any major beneficials?
            Answer to both is NO.
            Ron Paul for President 2012! Join the Revolution!
            http://www.ronpaul2012.com
            ------------------
            IGT's 2600w Perpetual Hydro Garden (8400w of CO2'ed trees underway but sorry cant post it up...opsec and all)

Comment

Originally posted by Centrum View Post
              is it just called Imid ?

is this it
              Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control Concentrate ??

Looking for something at lowes or home depot.

I prefer this or the "citrus" variety, as they don't last as long in the plant as the "Tree & Shrub" variety.
              Last edited by RetroGrow; 03-07-2010, 20:36. Reason: Addition

Comment

Centrum -> Dont waste ur money on the bombs/strips/etc/etc - if you use the bayer with imid, you dont need anything else - the estra stuff wont help just waste money and put more toxins in ur room... may take up 2 a week to kill em all, but trust in the imid... it WORKS!
                "Any country which is willing to give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and shall lose both."
                -Ben Franklin

Comment

Milehigh - as long as its well mixed before u ass the ph down, there wont be any reaction - and yes its safe to use ph down with the treatment - wont interfere.
                  "Any country which is willing to give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and shall lose both."
                  -Ben Franklin

Comment

Kk thx for this info, very valuable!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat J View Post
                      Centrum -> Dont waste ur money on the bombs/strips/etc/etc - if you use the bayer with imid, you dont need anything else - the estra stuff wont help just waste money and put more toxins in ur room... may take up 2 a week to kill em all, but trust in the imid... it WORKS!
                      We just spent like two weeks figuring that out, lol (except I would add: predatory nematodes, neem oil, fungi, kill-on-contact pesticides, Spinosad, pyrethrins to the "dont waste your time" list).
                      sigpic
                      "We're down with chillin, not killin... knaw what I'm sayyyn?"

Comment

Hehehe man, your failures with those was a big part of why i siad not 2 fuck with em... appreciate that I could learn from your attempts, or i woulda wasted a lot more money.

I wasted money on sticky traps and pyrethrin and neem oil... woulda wasted a lot more too

^.^
                        -Ben Franklin

Comment

To all those using Bayer "Fruit and Citrus" because you think it's safer:
                          AS best I can tell there is nothing safer about it; just less imid. The amount of imid you use, length of time it is exposed to the root zone, and how late you use it are the factors determining how much imid will be around in the plant tissues at harvest.

Bayer "Fruit and Citrus" is just over 6X more dilute than "Tree and Shrub." If you are worried about the chemicals, I would use "Tree and Shrub" before "Insect, Mite and Disease Control" which has less imid and 2 other chems which do not seem to have great information available about them (where imid is WELL documented and widely used).

On the other hand, I am curious about the ability of the "Insect, Mite and Disease Control" product to control root-zone pathogens during an infestation. I speculate that the anti-fungal probably kills most beneficial fungi and possibly other beneficials, but it may be worth it during the "kill and clean" phase, especially when there is heavy infestation.

Comment

There are 3 types of Bayer, of differing strengths. Tree & Shrub is the strongest, Advanced is half the strength of that, and the Citrus is half the strength of the advanced. Stronger lasts longer, so if you don't want the chems in your bud, use the weaker strength, as all of them give 100% kill. "Tree & Shrub" is for trees, and lasts 12 months, according to label. "Advanced" lasts for 3 months according to label. I would definitely go with "Advanced", or "Citrus", as they don't stay in the plant as long. "Advanced", and "Citrus" are also cheaper, so I would go with those for that reason, as there is more in a bottle than I will use in my lifetime.
                            Of course, any of these can be diluted so that the strength is equal.
                            Great thread, Spleebale. Saved my mother plants!
                            Note: there are numerous other products with this chemical in it besides Bayer, including Ortho, which is also carried by Home Depot.

Comment

The only reason i feel it is safer is because such a small amount of the imid is needed to cure the infestation and there is a lot of data about it- I'm with you about not using the "insect control" one which has Beta-Cyfluthrin and something else. The imid is effective, thoroughly tested, if you buy lettuce in a supermarket, you have already consumed more imid per salad than you will end up with in your plant if treated correctly.
                              -Ben Franklin

Comment

Fuck man I just figured out I had these after posting about "fungus gnats laying eggs in my buds"!!! FoCo turned me onto the truth... although I'm not sure I like it. As someone else said, I was way happier when I thought these were fungus gnats!!

I have noticed they tend to like certain strains. My Mr. Nice plant has been showing a yellowish-color that's had me stumped after not responding to nitrogen. It's gotta be these fuckers.

Well, I'm 24 days into flower and earliest harvest will come in 36 days for the early-finishers. So, it looks like imid is out of the question... I was thinking of Spectracide... it's really the only option at this point. I'm hoping to just keep their population down and limit damage... although I may go with something less toxic like the botanigard.

Fuck man.. these sound like the worst absolute pest you can get!! Spider mites were a piece of cake to eliminate compared to what I'm hearing about these bugs. I'm really bummed. I just hope to harvest something... without fuckin' gnats stuck in the buds.
                                And I'm as honest as a Denver man can be.....
                                :shooty::shooty::shooty:

Comment

Working...
                                X