What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Ghostin

A late update:

I made homemade compost over the winter and about 4-5 months in I stopped turning it. By spring, it was absolutely infested with fungus gnats. I stupidly decided to spread it across my plot and, well, I had outdoor fungus gnats in my garden, lol. I purchased 30million nematodes from amazon, and threw each sponge piece into a 5 gallon bucket, mixed it up and spread it around. It took about 1-2 weeks but they disappeared and are now all gone. They were more expensive but damn, they work better than MDs. Maybe try that if you're experiencing medium-heavy infestations.

Peace!

stucrew

Gnat Nix

Gnat Nix

I use Gnat Nix. I grow in smart pots and put a good 2 inch layer of Gnat Nix on the top of my coco and rarely will I ever see a gnat. It works the best if you get it on as soon as you put your plants in the pots. Before I found out about this I had the little devils for 2 grows. I got so fed up I took some Raid for flying insects and sprayed in my rooms to kill the little bastards then started putting the gnat nix on and haven't had a problem with the since. More than 2 years gnat free.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
hey guys..

Having a huge gnat problem. I think its just me being lazy...but these suckers are everywhere. I need to erase these fuckers from my life. I grow in rockwool...ebb and flood. I hand water for the first few weeks...and I think thats not helping anything.

Ive tried BTI..and sticky traps. Ive noticed a slowdown..but things get out of control. I dont know how to get rid of them in total..so they keep slowly coming back. The temps are in check. Humidity is in check.

Anyone have a long term solution for these things.

Whats up with Gnatrol? I cant find it in small quantities. Anyone have a link where I can buy this shit. Is it even legal..cause I cant find small doses on eBay...you can only get like a tub of the shit.

Thanks

TpM

120Octane

hey guys..

Having a huge gnat problem. I think its just me being lazy...but these suckers are everywhere. I need to erase these fuckers from my life. I grow in rockwool...ebb and flood. I hand water for the first few weeks...and I think thats not helping anything.

Ive tried BTI..and sticky traps. Ive noticed a slowdown..but things get out of control. I dont know how to get rid of them in total..so they keep slowly coming back. The temps are in check. Humidity is in check.

Whats up with Gnatrol? I cant find it in small quantities. Anyone have a link where I can buy this shit. Is it even legal..cause I cant find small doses on eBay...you can only get like a tub of the shit.

Thanks

TpM

Look up coir mushroom casing.....Cook your coir in a oven if its manageable amount of gallons, if you have bags to do boil the coir in a 55 gal drum for 4 hours......You will have to start your biology over again benificials, fungus and bacteria's.....Great IPM solution for your medium when you tear down after having pest issues.

If you try the oven method...wet the coir until its saturated then squeeze it with your hand until it stops runing out...set the oven 160°F let it cook 6 hours then turn the oven off let it cool down slowly....DO NOT open the door and force it to cool down fast......A cookie sheet mounded and wrapped in aluminim foil is 10 gallons if pile it high....

Chemdawggy Dawg

The main reason for the gnats is over watering, which causes root rot and brings the flies. I bet if you guys watered less you wouldn't have to do much of anything.

clearheaded

ya if you let it dry out thats ur best bet for prevention and to maintain.

always have sticky traps.

1 3rd or 1/4 3% peroxide and water water top 2 inches or so for 2 days then use the dunks (peroxide kills the bacteria that are in dunks) . can spray perxide solution aswell. doesnt hurt the roots of course will knock down bennies in the top 2 inches, but will quickly recover.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dunks contain an inert crystal derived from Bti, not the living organism or spore.

stucrew

hey guys..

Thanks

TpM

I had Gnats when I used rockwool and flood & drain tables too. I endured until I harvested then I went in with a can of raid. The other thing I have head is the sticky flags or sticky hang squares. I use an inch of Gnat Nix on top of my coco in my pots now and don't have a problem. If you are still in veg I would a can of raid and spray your rock wool and just spray the raid in the air well. It won't hurt the plants and there really wouldn't be that much to be concerned with any leftover toxicity after flower. But if you are in Flower a few weeks then just spray the raid down low on your gnats.

stucrew

The main reason for the gnats is over watering, which causes root rot and brings the flies. I bet if you guys watered less you wouldn't have to do much of anything.

When you grow in rockwool you have to water alot because it doesn't retain much moisture. Same with coco coir.

stucrew

hey guys..

Thanks

TpM

I don't know how big of chunks of Rock wool you are using for your plant but you can put your chunks of rockwool in a smart pot and pour Gnat Nix in around the the rock wool and roots to cover your rock wool to an inch over it. The smart pots are great in a flood&drain table. The gnat nix cuts the little larva up as they hatch and start crawling around. Once you get rid of the gnats and hatching larva then as long as you aren't making it easy to get them back in your room you shouldn't have much of a problem. You can also, use a bait of apple cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap in a few mason jars half full. set around the room to lure the gnats (they are basically fruit flies). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPQ1wxHUD38

stucrew

You may rather make a spray with neem like this guy is using instead of the raid if you are concerned about the raid. With cup traps like in the previous video sitting around in your room and some sticky traps hanging around and then spray the neem water as an inoculent on your rock wool cubes and spray any gnats you see flying or sitting around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IE6srbGSoQ

stucrew

What a compelling argument for Gnatrol.

:tiphat::dance013::tiphat::dance013: Thankfully I now grow in Titan Ebb&Grow systems and use GnatNix on the top of my coco so i don't have to mess with the little bastards any more. When I grew with rockwool cubes I only got rid of the gnats by using Raid. :biggrin:

biobizz

mosquito dunks and mosquito bits are shit. what a joke. i bought it from different vendors from ebay. i hang a dunk in a sock in the reservoir. i sprinkeled the bits on top if the coco. my sticky traps still full of this fuckers after +6 weeks. just cost me lots of time + money + more money for shipping.

stucrew

mosquito dunks and mosquito bits are shit. what a joke. i bought it from different vendors from ebay. i hang a dunk in a sock in the reservoir. i sprinkeled the bits on top if the coco. my sticky traps still full of this fuckers after +6 weeks. just cost me lots of time + money + more money for shipping.

I agree. I tried the mosquito dunks too. Gnat Nix does work. Until the adults die out you will have some flying around but the larvae in your planters will die as they crawl up through the GnatNix. Be sure to put atleast 1 inch layer on top of your soil or coco coir. Also, realize that if the gnats/fruit flies can easily get into your grow rooms from outside then you will keep seeing them.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The concentration is weak. You have to use a ridiculous amount.

Gnatrol wins again.