What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Pragma

Just a heads up for the guys in EU. Amazon uk finally has a dealer that sends dunks across EU for quite cheap shipping.
Previously all the dealers would just ship to uk and not outside... Atleast when I tried.
Cheers

MicroGro

I just got some neem oil to try to treat fungus gnats. Would Mosiquito Dunks be a better option? Any preference for one over the other?

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Its ok to put dunks on the top soil all the way up through flower right? I'm on week 8 right now(gonna harvest in about 1-2weeks) and wasnt sure if it would hurt anything. Dont think it would from what I've read, but thought I should ask.

prismai

Dunks have not been working for me at all. Over 3 months of these little annoying fucks. I've killed spider mites and aphids. Can't get rid of gnats.

I will try gnatrol in addition to dunks.

They are the same except dunks have like 10-20x more concentration.

gnatrol: http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/...08_t/GreenHouseInsecticides_files/gnatrol.pdf

mosquito dunks:
http://www.gptx.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=7620

Both use bacillus thuringiensis israelensis.

prismai

Gnatrol contains the same bacteria as dunks, just more concentrated, thus preferable.

picture.php

Sarcclash

Hi Lola, if you're still watching this thread, thanks for the post!

I fought FG's for over two years in my houseplants and tried gnatrol, azatrol, DE, skeeter dunks, thuricide, neem oil, sand/gravel caps, pyrethrums and NOTHING worked.
The yellow sticky traps always held dozens of the 'lil fukkerz.

Then I saw this vid by a LDS prepper who claimed 2 tsp. of Dawn Ultra dishwash liquid in 32 oz sprayer filled with water could take out 2" stink bugs on contact.
This recipe actually worked for me and I have been FG free for 5 months.
I sprayed the whole plant until it drips heavily and drench the top of the medium just as heavily.
I'll spray it with plain water after a few minutes to wash it off.
I used this method along with a 2 hour soak w/Dawn to completely submerge the pot of outdoor plants that I want to bring indoors.
This has worked so well for me that I have to share.
This eliminates not only FG's but mites, aphids, etc. BUT it takes out beneficials too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6m9xzhphLs&index=53&list=PL2cLVMJiux-kPNMq9fciRWHCfHqUQSaqG

Unclecrash

Will the dunks work on those tiny pesky Gnats? I don't think they are
the fungus Gnats, but I could be wrong. The one's I see are small where I think the fungus Gnat is about 1/4inch or a bit smaller. Also does it hurt to smash them up and sprinkle in my nute mix? Will the ph down kill them?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dunks/Bits are not live bacteria or viable spores. It's fine in the reservoir unless you drip feed, then use a stocking or such.

They work quite well on a large number of flies, post up a picture in the Infirmary if you need a positive ID.

Bmac1

Veteran
I had a battle with gnats a while back and I had used the dunks, crumbled up and spread on top of each pot. About half a dunk in each 2gal pot. IT was about 40 days in when I got the gnats. Someone had told me that the dunks are only good for about 30 days and need to be reapplied.

I ended up using beneficial insects which knocked them down well but they came back. Then I used sticky traps and put a layer of sand on top of each pot and they were not seen again.

Unclecrash

Dunks/Bits are not live bacteria or viable spores. It's fine in the reservoir unless you drip feed, then use a stocking or such.

They work quite well on a large number of flies, post up a picture in the Infirmary if you need a positive ID.

Honestly , my old camera phone will not take a clear enough pic. They are tiny about a couple millmitres top's and when they land they are kind of quick, and fly in a small circular pattern. I will run some dunks and see how it goe's till I can figure out how to get a pic. It seems Im in between cycle's. I know they seem to like Basil. I messed up and brought the basil in with out dunking it first. I brought the basil in to help with mites and use in cooking ,but I messed up. Thanks UC

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hah, found the same with basil. Basil, meet compost pile. It does sound like FG.

FYI, Dunks take about 2-3 weeks to take hold. Sticky traps, pyrethrin bombs, etc, will deal with the fliers. Bmac's suggestions are on point as well.

Unclecrash

That could explain why my Tahoe just started to loose its foot hold. And it started leaning a bit. I had seen them working it for a bit. I had started using the dunks about a week or so ago. So I took it out nd repotted in new CoCo and washed the crap out of the roots. And started treating it again. Wondering do you have any links or pic's of the actual size of the FG. I do a lot of fly fishing and these are tiny I would say if I were to ty one up it would be on a 24 to 28 size hook. Small little bugger's. Never mind on the pics I just found some and that's them for sure.

Last edited:

Unclecrash

Hi Lola, if you're still watching this thread, thanks for the post!

I fought FG's for over two years in my houseplants and tried gnatrol, azatrol, DE, skeeter dunks, thuricide, neem oil, sand/gravel caps, pyrethrums and NOTHING worked.
The yellow sticky traps always held dozens of the 'lil fukkerz.

Then I saw this vid by a LDS prepper who claimed 2 tsp. of Dawn Ultra dishwash liquid in 32 oz sprayer filled with water could take out 2" stink bugs on contact.
This recipe actually worked for me and I have been FG free for 5 months.
I sprayed the whole plant until it drips heavily and drench the top of the medium just as heavily.
I'll spray it with plain water after a few minutes to wash it off.
I used this method along with a 2 hour soak w/Dawn to completely submerge the pot of outdoor plants that I want to bring indoors.
This has worked so well for me that I have to share.
This eliminates not only FG's but mites, aphids, etc. BUT it takes out beneficials too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6m9xzhphLs&index=53&list=PL2cLVMJiux-kPNMq9fciRWHCfHqUQSaqG

Giving this a try on mite's as we speak!!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reposting from another thread before it gets buried, hopefully useful to others. I might add ITU/c to see what the bang for buck comparison is. Corrected a few ITU concentrations.

Aquabac 200g - 200 ITU/mg
Aquabac 400g - 400 ITU/mg
Aquabac Aqueous Suspension - 1,200 ITU/mg
Aquabac DF 3000 - 7000 ITU/mg
Gnatrol - 600 ITU/mg (Old liquid formulation)
Gnatrol WDG - 3000 ITU/mg
Mosquito Dunks - 7000 ITU/mg
Mosquito Bits - 200 ITU/mg
Vectobac Aqueous Suspension - 1200 ITU/mg
Vectobac WG/WDG - 3000 ITU/mg
Vectobac Granules - 200 ITU/mg
MicrobeLift BMC - 1200 ITU/mg

Unclecrash

Well the ultra dawn smacks them down pretty good. I see shucks and dead mites stuck to the bottom of the plants most eggs have shriveled up. I saw a knat flying and sprayed it knocked him dead instantaniously. Ha ha take that. I might lighten up the dose as I noticed after a day or two leafs burning on edges. Well not sure if they are burming or if itis another problem. They dont yellow they just turn a weird shade of green and get brittle on the area that changes color. I did find mites today but hardly moving. could be I needed to follow up on a second spray or third to get any eggs I missed . But what I dont understand is they seem to like the top of the leaf as well as the bottom. Im still also running the dunks will have to look and see how long it has been. Probably a stupid thing but have not eradicated the basil as I want to see if I can wipe the Knats out with it there . If not then its getting pitched . Im Italian and I likes me some basil in my pasta. And its my Nephews

L

larry badiner

today i found fungus gnats all over my blueberry x og kush plant, there was about 50-60 on leaves and 10-15 on the buds and on stems, which leads me to say if your growing good weed making sure fungus gnats aren't in your grow should be a high priority.. you have no idea how fucking annoying it is to pick tiny bugs out of your plants

Latest posts

Latest posts