What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Dunks never had any effect. Multiple sticky traps brought my numbers down.

Then somehow you did it wrong. The dunks, crumbled on the soil surface as the op said, and one floating in the water you use to water your plants, WORKS GREAT. And since there will always be some still flying (as it only kills the larvae), a sticky-trap or two IN ADDITION TO THE DUNK TREATMENT is a good plan for a faster kill rate.

All houseplants must get the same treatment too !

Da_AntMan_303

I had a terrible thrip problem in my soil grow and just keep a dunk in my watering tank and thrips are Done, black gnats are gone too! :)

IDK.. I made the switch from Hydro back to soil & I have never had such a hard time w/ pests.. mostly these fuckers!
Is it safe to say it's easier to rid them from hydro units than soil?
I'm considering goin back ,after 10 yrs ,I thought I'd give the dirt a try Stupid me :(

ghostly

IDK.. I made the switch from Hydro back to soil & I have never had such a hard time w/ pests.. mostly these fuckers!
Is it safe to say it's easier to rid them from hydro units than soil?
I'm considering goin back ,after 10 yrs ,I thought I'd give the dirt a try Stupid me :(

Ditto!!!

vapedg13

Veteran
3% hydrogen peroxide (h202) deluted 4 to 1 kills the larva....yellow stickies/tape catch the adults.....just sayin :)

Cameltom

ok i have been fighting these little basters for weeks, there just getting worst, 2inches of sand on the top yellow sticky traps, 2 inches of sand , gognats (basically cedar oil with additives) and finally last but not least Duncks... dunks are my first choise, there off season here so it took me a bit to find them but i did...l its been around 3 weeks, it seems there went from the top of the soil to the bottom of the hole in the pots, after i put sand on them.... im about to start all over, this is a real debby downer.... im going to create small tourchering devices for the flys soon

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry Lola, but dunks don't work. They only slow down the infestation. The time wasted messing around with dunks just prolongs the problem and reduces yield. Same thing with Gnatrol. You end up with a resistant gnat thats even harder to eradicate. What worked best for me was to spray the rootball directly with pyrethium (FoxFarm's Bug Be Gone). The plant pulls it up thru the roots for a systemic effect.

Death to the f'ing gnat hord!!

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I got the diamaceous earth at home depot. A little goes along way.
I have also used is on top of the soil. You just got to watch it packin down the soil.

Last edited:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gnats

Gnats

The Dunks work great! They don't kill off the adults though! In about 3-4 weeks though, you won't see any more adults. It takes time to eradicate them.

The Dunks break the breeding cycle by killing off the grubs in the roots.

Adults can be zapped with a little pyrethrin spray in the air. Also yellow sticky fly paper is good to catch adults.

But ONLY using dunks, my grow was fungus gnat free in 3-4 weeks. AND it has stayed FREE of gnats for a year, by adding a little dunk to new soil as it is brought in.

DIE FUNGUS GNATS DIE! :biglaugh:

Yellow sticky fly papers are so cheap and so effective. You should have a couple hanging in your growroom at all times! That way you can see what's coming in to your growroom and respond accordingly. Great thread LolaGal.
Stay safe :tiphat:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Sorry Lola, but dunks don't work. They only slow down the infestation. The time wasted messing around with dunks just prolongs the problem and reduces yield. Same thing with Gnatrol. You end up with a resistant gnat thats even harder to eradicate. What worked best for me was to spray the rootball directly with pyrethium (FoxFarm's Bug Be Gone). The plant pulls it up thru the roots for a systemic effect.

Death to the f'ing gnat hord!!

Let me clear up something--you are 100% correct that there have been reported incidents of critters developing a resistance to the active ingredient in Gnatrol, Mosquito Dunks/Bits--bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI). But if we understand WHEN to use BTI, your rate of success in battling fungus gnats and your pocket book will both improve.

First--here is the Fungus Gnat lifecycle...

fungus_life_cycle.jpg

The Mode of Action for BTI is "mid-gut membrane disruptor" (no chems) and is most effective against the young first instar larvae, which at the 4 o'clock position in the above pic. The bacteria must be ingested by the larva, after which a toxic protein crystal is released into the insect's gut. Larvae stop feeding and die.

Fungus gnats life cycle is 20-28 days and as you can see, BTI is effective only 2-3 of those days. Huge draw back of Gnatrol is its short effective life of 48 hours, whereas Mosquito Bits/Dunks are constantly releasing BTI as moisture dissolves the carrier--which can take days/weeks.

Strategic use of BTI is the key to success...as there are only a few days of the gnats life when it will work!

Hope this helps.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fungus Gnats

Fungus Gnats

Hi Folks,
Just my pennies worth. In the UK we pay £20 for small bottle of Gnat Off from Ebay, more from your hydro shop. It contains Bacillus Thuringiensis, the same active bacteria as Thuricide. Only Thuricide is £6.58 for an 8oz bottle - no brainer!

Bonide Thuricide (BT) 8oz
Bonide's Thuricide is a liquid formulation of bacteria, Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt), which is specific to leaf eating caterpillars. Controls loopers, cabbageworms, tomato hornworms, leaf rollers, gypsy moths and many others. The insects stop feeding and die within 2-3 days of ingestion. There is no residue problem, and being exempt from tolerance requirements, this product may be applied at recommended amounts up to the day of harvest. Will not harm beneficial insects. One 8 oz. bottle treats over 5,000 sq. ft.
Directions for use:
Mix 1-4 tsp. per gallon of water and apply at first sign of infestation.
Repeat at weekly intervals as needed to maintain control.
May be applied by hose or pressurized sprayers.
Apply thoroughly to upper and lower leaf surfaces, but not to the point of excessive run-off.

Stay safe :tiphat:

Tyga

Veteran
Whats the usage rate on the dunks? Sprinkle ontop of the medium and then water or mix in with the watering?

Dunks

Dunks

Take one Mosquito dunk break in half put in bowl and crush into powder. Just put powder on top of soil (my mother plants) water in. Never seen a white fly or gnat for all the years I been using them unless one sneaks in from outside and even then they won't colonize.You can put a dunk into your hydro rez too.:tiphat: