X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayTrinity
    replied
    Hi is this a fungus gnat? I used time release composted chicken manure and put on top.

The worm photo is a long wet gross worm, no black head but I might look again.
    Its 100F every day the soil was dry, I had to water just now so thats why its wet although its obviously way to damp over all.
    And yes I have flying bugs but hard to get them in my scope to photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GNATROL-WDG-...YA2-p9CvVO8htg

VIDEO OF MAGGOTS!
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2dqi...9#.V3SXbTV0SUk
    Last edited by JayTrinity; 06-30-2016, 03:54.

Leave a comment:

• Loc Dog
    replied
    Using dunks constantly, with every watering, I have very few flying gnats, but tons of them in the run-off. One reason I keep wanting to give up coir and go back to flood and drain hydroton.

Leave a comment:

• Muleskinner
    replied
    I believe Vectobac WDG is the same product as Gnatrol. yes, it's great stuff, without it I'd probably have to use nemotodes which cost a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• Old Fogey
    replied
    There is a product called Vectobac WDG that leaves all others for dead for ease of use and for cost.

It is granulated Bti that will store for 2 years and costs about $200 for 500 grams.

Some hydro stores sell it in smaller quantities packaged in their own labelled containers, usually $80 for 50 grams.

You use 1 gram per 2.5 gals of water and apply three treatments over three weeks at 7 day intervals.

I totally eradicated fungus gnat from my grow earlier in the year using this product. They've come back again and I'm just a few days away from the third and final drenching and I don't expect another infestation in this grow.

To put things in perspective: Gnatrol has around 3 grams of Bti in a bottle. That's around $1.20 worth if you buy in a 500 gram tub of vectobac wdg.

I highly recommend treating fungus gnats with granulated Bti.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• Muleskinner
    replied
    The dunks work fine to administer Bti but they have some ingredients that are not organic. Gnatrol will keep you 100% organic. It's a digestive parasite for bug larvae, it won't affect the health of the soil bacteria.

The Gnatrol powder loses its effectiveness over time, I find after 6-12 months in storage I need to use 50% more which sucks, it's expensive. The old liquid version used to store in the refrigerator and stay potent for a couple years.

Neem works great but if you soil drench with it the plants will suffer. D-earth or sand on the surface works good too but can be hard to maintain.

Leave a comment:

• Ganjaganjakush
    replied
    i grind the dunks up in a coffer grinder and top dress couple teaspoons per plant and works that way for me

Leave a comment:

• Bmac1
    replied
    I Think the problem with dunks is that they are often mis-used. Im pretty sure it takes a while for them to break down if you will and start to do what they do. Once they do get to work, I believe they are only effective for 4-5 weeks. I think adding the dunk crumble in stages may be a better approach.

Leave a comment:

• FireIn.TheSky
    replied
    I find that dunks dont work at all.

Leave a comment:

• Bmac1
    replied
    Im battling with these little fuckers again this round. I have sticky traps but it appears the hypoaspis miles have disappeared. I could get more but I am wondering if I should try gnatrol? I have read that SM90 wipes out the microherd too so I dont want to go that route though I do have a bottle. Does gnatrol wipe out beneficial bacteria as well?

Topping the pots with sand will be my last resort but I know that works, just looking to try something new if it works. The Hypo miles are about $35 CDN pesos delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Ocanna
    replied
    Originally posted by sns_stealth View Post
    you think thats evil?

View Image

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!...lol
    Cool post but it's a different wepon all together Mosquito dunks are BT bacteria not nematodes. incase someone were to be confused by your post being on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• Mikell
    replied
    People make choices based on possibly incorrect information.

Ego plays a part as well.

SM90 is good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Unclecrash
    replied
    curious why your inquiring to see if live or not. Im still 100% free of Gnats the sm90 finished them off . I have not used the bits for a month or so .

Leave a comment:

• Mikell
    replied
    Ook.

Let's try this again.

I am contacting any producers of Bti products to inquire if they sell a live product or viable spores.

If you use a product not listed below, post it and contact the producer. Or just post and I'll do it

Gnatrol (Valent) - emailed

BMC (Ecological Laboratories) - viable spores. Had to pull a few teeth for a straight forward answer.

Mosquito Bits/Dunks (Summit Chemical) - previous inquiry, no viable culture/spore.

Bti WDG (Golden Harvest Organics) - emailed

Leave a comment:

• Unclecrash
    replied
    Just stopping in to say I been using the moskito bits for a couple run's and I just keep sprinkling a bit on when it looks like it washes into the coco. And I have not seen a flier in a week or two. It has kept them little fungas knats to a flier or two tops. It seems to work the best when the humidity is arund 50% or so and the stuff starts growing like white webbing or fuzzy stuff.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    NEEM extract, kelp, silica. Nuff said

Leave a comment:

Working...
X