Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, I'm on my way to get some right now!!

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    Richard Henry Lee

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

wow - I have a 50 gal drum/rez set up in my room. I have problems with FG off and on so I started using Mosquito dunks. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I have a whole dunk floating in my rez (which is overkill since you measure square feet of surface area) and the other day I lifted the plastic flap to the rez and there are FG's living in a plastic drum with MD's floating in there. I doubled the dunks and the FG's laughed at me.

I'm getting pissed now.
      Pure Organics

Definition of a "racist" or a "denier".
      A clear thinking conservative that is winning an argument with a liberal

Comment

Grape: I have heard several people say this and I am beginning to think your dunks were made in China or something and are FAKE dunks! (You can't trust them Chinese.. lol)

I wonder if there is also a shelf life on them?

What brand did you use? I am curious! No gnats here for me. I like doing research on this subject. thanks

Comment

Hi there guys! I’m new to “Tomato” Cough! Growing and this is my first post.
          I have had a bad time with Fungus Gnats too. I’m sure they came in the compost bought from a local garden centre and exploded into life in the veg room, weakening plants and making it hard to take cuttings.

Thanks LolaGal I like the Idea of the Mosquito dunks crushed and sprinkled over the soil and watered in. If only I had heard of these and Gnatrol a few months ago.

I did a fair bit of research on FG’s and hope this helps you guys.
          The adults live 7 to 10 days and lay their eggs on moist soil surface. Females lay up to 100 to 300 eggs in batches of 2 to 30 each in decaying organic matter. Eggs hatch in 4 to 6 days; larvae feed for 12 to 14 days. The pupa stage is about 5 to 6 days. 28/36 days from egg to dead.

Plant damage symptoms appear as unexpected wilting, low vigour, poor growth, leaves yellowing and defoliation.

They can be controlled by the Predatory mite, Hypoaspis miles. The H. miles, is a voracious predator of mites and insects that spend most part of their life cycle in the soil, including Gnat larvae and pupae of thrips. Once introduced, H. miles usually can reproduce and establish.

First, prevention should be your goal, and this is to avoid over watering, especially in high organic soils.

Adults are attracted to bright lights, mainly in the blue spectrum like PL’s and fluorescent,
          If you are having problem with FG’s in a hydro set up? Then I would suggest looking elsewhere for any infestation. House plants or mothers if in compost, hydro and compost grow in the same room, or even areas in the garden which might be a breeding ground.

Fungus Gnats need a damp soil/compost medium to lay their eggs. It’s the hot, humid and bright condition attracting the adults to a hydro only set up. Using Mosquito dunks in a hydro set up is ineffective at best for killing Gnat larvae.

I managed to wipe out my infestation by covering my pots with clingfilm which can be lifted for watering, but stop the females from getting to the soil to lay their eggs, and thus break’s the life cycle. I also microwave any new compost before using it. This seems to have worked for me, not seem a gnat for a few weeks now... fingers crossed.

If... or when I get them again I’ll give the Gnatrol or Mosquito dunks ago.
          Last edited by Nova2000; 02-16-2010, 19:05. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Nova2000 View Post
            Hi there guys! I’m new to “Tomato” Cough! Growing and this is my first post.
            I have had a bad time with Fungus Gnats too. I’m sure they came in the compost bought from a local garden centre and exploded into life in the veg room, weakening plants and making it hard to take cuttings.
            Thanks LolaGal I like the Idea of the Mosquito dunks crushed and sprinkled over the soil and watered in. If only I had heard of these and Gnatrol a few months ago.
            I did a fair bit of research on FG’s and hope this helps you guys.
            The adults live 7 to 10 days and lay their eggs on moist soil surface. Females lay up to 100 to 300 eggs in batches of 2 to 30 each in decaying organic matter. Eggs hatch in 4 to 6 days; larvae feed for 12 to 14 days. The pupa stage is about 5 to 6 days. 35 days from egg to dead.
            Plant damage symptoms appear as unexpected wilting, low vigour, poor growth, leaves yellowing and defoliation.
            They can be controlled by the Predatory mite, Hypoaspis miles. The H. miles, is a voracious predator of mites and insects that spend most part of their life cycle in the soil, including Gnat larvae and pupae of thrips. Once introduced, H. miles usually can reproduce and establish.
            First, prevention should be your goal, and this is to avoid over watering, especially in high organic soils.
            Adults are attracted to bright lights, mainly in the blue spectrum like PL’s and fluorescent,
            If you are having problem with FG’s in a hydro set up? Then I would suggest looking elsewhere for any infestation. House plants or mothers if in compost, hydro and compost grow in the same room, or even areas in the garden which might be a breeding ground. Fungus Gnats need a damp soil/compost medium to lay their eggs. It’s the hot, humid and bright condition attracting the adults to a hydro only set up. Using Mosquito dunks in a hydro set up is ineffective at best for killing Gnat lava.
            I managed to wipe out my infestation by covering my pots with clingfilm which can be lifted for watering, but stop the females from getting to the soil to lay their eggs, and thus break’s the life cycle. I also microwave any new compost before using it. This seems to have worked, not seem a gnat for a few weeks now... fingers crossed.
            If... or when I get them again I’ll give the Gnatrol or Mosquito dunks ago.

Good first post! Welcome to ICMag!

I am way to lazy to microwave my dirt, but good idea.

I just throw a little dunk on top of all new dirt, as a preventative measure, no gnats here! (or mosquitoes lol)

Comment

Originally posted by LolaGal View Post
              Grape: I have heard several people say this and I am beginning to think your dunks were made in China or something and are FAKE dunks! (You can't trust them Chinese.. lol)

I wonder if there is also a shelf life on them?

What brand did you use? I am curious! No gnats here for me. I like doing research on this subject. thanks
              This brand from Lowe's. Is it the right one?
              Thanks Lola

Pure Organics

Definition of a "racist" or a "denier".
              A clear thinking conservative that is winning an argument with a liberal

Comment

Yup, that is the same one I used! Thanks for posting. I was curious.

Comment

I crumbled some up on my soil plants, I only found one gnat ( which I promptly dispatched), so I'll be looking out for larva. I'll put down a little potato after I've watered once or twice.
                  I'll keep you posted on how they work!

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
                  Richard Henry Lee

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks LolaGal for the welcome
                    I Just nuke a small amount to top up, and for fresh cuttings now, so it's no longer hard work
                    Good first post! Welcome to ICMag!

I am way to lazy to microwave my dirt, but good idea.

I just throw a little dunk on top of all new dirt, as a preventative measure, no gnats here! (or mosquitoes lol)

Comment

IMO, putting out a piece of potato is just making good breeding ground? Are the larva supposed to suck on it? or what?

oh, I get it, the adults are gonna lay eggs on the tater? sounds messy and time consuming. I would not want to encourage molds to grow in my grow?? just my 2 cents.

I use Miracle Grow soil, and it has free fungus gnats in every bag!! But I left it in the trunk of the car and let it get really really cold. But that is all I am willing to do. I am just plain lazy.

That's why I like the dunks. EZ to use, low maintenance method. It will kill all the larva so eventually no more adults.

Comment

I have always used dunks for many many years now It works great I also use the bits the bits work faster but the dunks are stronger so it seems after about 4-6 days no more gnats simple to use and works awesome......ST

Comment

Awesome find Lola, whodathunk? Thanks, I can get rid of the buggers without so much effort!
                          "Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country."
                          - Thomas Jefferson
                          "Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."
                          - George Washington
                          "In vino veritas"
                          - Plato

Kodiak's Growing 'Weed' [cannabis] Thread <-- All growers should peruse.
                          Google Docs - Granny StormCrow's List.

Comment

Gardeners put a one inch chunk of potato on the compost to check for larvae. just like lifting a stone in your garden, if it's damp under the potato larvae will come to the surface. if you see no sign of life then you can say your soil is pretty clean.
                            IMO, putting out a piece of potato is just making good breeding ground? Are the larva supposed to suck on it? or what?

Comment

i add gnatrol wdg to my res/watering can whenever i introduce new media into my garden with the exception of hydroton and rockwool minicubes... coco/dirt/etc all get watered with it the first time they get watered to help kill any eggs along for the ride; i follow up the second and third waterings with gnatrol as well... this is enough to kill em

for seedlings i pasteurize my coco in a 5gal bucket with boiling water poured over a good amount tied up in a paint strainer bag left to sit for 90 minutes. this sterilizes the medium; nothing is alive inside it; i only do this with coco as there is no bioherd to worry about out of the bag... nothing worse than gnat larva crawling around a 20 dollar seedling
                              Opt1c's Seed Tek

My Current Grow
                              Fall '10 - Under Current 6XXL Hybrid Horizontal 2K and Vert 1.2K Insanity

Previous Grows:
                              Summer '08 - Soma Rockbud Outdoors

Spring '09 - Mr. Nice Black Widow 30 Site Bato Bucket Coco SOG
                              Fall '09 - Hydro Showdown: Under Current 6XL vs Bato Bucket - DCxGOO - 2,400Ws
                              Winter '09 - Soma Rockbud 2K Handwatered Coco Grow with CO2
                              Spring '10 - Soma Rockbud A+ in Bato Buckets 3x6 1200watts
                              Spring '10 - Reservoir ChemHazexSourD Under Current Grow

Comment

Thanks Ya'll!!! Glad to help. I just could not find any information on the subject when I was researching it.

This product was not intended for fungus gnats, but works great! It makes sense, since Gnatrol is the the same product, different form, and harder to use.

Just got a catalog from Planet Natural... hahaha they think I will give them more money for their dead useless predator mites.. no way.. hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X