What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

bluenorth

fungus gnat damage

fungus gnat damage

Finally figured out why at week 3-4 everything starts to go downhill. Major gnat problem, this is how the plants look when the root damage starts showing

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Fungus gnats lay eggs in moist areas. If the top of your medium is kept moist, it's perfect for gnats to spawn from. The solution? Keep the top dry.

Bottom feed 2" below the top of the medium so the surface stays dry.

Another solution is to top each pot with 1-2" of sand. It dries quickly and doesn't give gnats a way to go deep into the medium to find a moist spot. It can be a hassle to deal with the sand however, but I had great success doing this.

Keep a few trays of water on the ground in the grow area. They are attracted to yellow so if you can use yellow pots/trays, do so. Gnats will drown themselves trying to lay eggs in water.

Putting bleach in your reservoir or feed water may deter them but bleach breaks down quickly so you will have to add more every other day. Bleach in small amounts won't harm the plants but I don't know if it will harm gnats either.

When you begin fucking them up you will begin seeing them in other areas of your house. I kept a glass of water on my bedside overnight and woke up to see dead gnats in it.

Gnats themselves rarely cause damage but they do spread infections and I never gave a shit about this, but now I'm dealing with a possible virus infection and take this vector very seriously!

bushwakka

i have had a problem for the past couple of weeks with yellowing leaves, thought i'd overdosed with superthrive, however i do remember when starting this grow a little fly floating about, i thought it was salt buildup or nutrient so i leached twice(!!!!) and now looking at the pics i know i have gnats for the first time(plus all the little flys around my plants tonight give it away).halfway through flower and one is so stressed by them it is hermying, either them or the leachings(sobs!). At least i know it was not my total fault now,we dont get dunks over here so i am getting 'bug clear ultra' tomorrow, thanks for this thread and does anyone have any experience with this product?

F

feral

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you have plants, including houseplants in other parts of the house you must treat them as well. If you don't your giving any strays from the grow area a place to breed.

lilmiss

Bushwakka, and a few others that I've read so far, People root aphids in a winged form look, to us, just like fungus gnats. If usual remedies for fungus gnats are not working, ie Mosquito Dunks, Diatom earth, gonats et al, then you probably have Root Aphids, and should treat them accordingly. Don't kid yourself or delude yourself into thinking they are just gnats. Educate yourself and take care of them quickly because the damage they cause is devastating.

bushwakka

Bushwaca, and a few others that I've read so far, People root aphids in a winged form look, to us, just like fungus gnats. If usual remedies for fungus gnats are not working, ie Mosquito Dunks, Diatom earth, gonats et al, then you probably have Root Aphids, and should treat them accordingly. Don't kid yourself or delude yourself into thinking they are just gnats. Educate yourself and take care of them quickly because the damage they cause is devastating.
mine are devastated,the damage has been so quick,like overnight i had yellowing leaves and lots of them,really hoping the
BugClear Ultra will help(aahh!!!)

lilmiss

I don't know about that stuff, never heard of it, but what worked for me was something called Bayer Tree and Shrub, with Imidocloprid. I treated my veg spot with that and Triazicide (Spectracide, and both are available at Home Depot for cheap) a month ago, and I'm only now seeing the tiny white fast moving crawly babies, so I went ahead and treated again. In flower I did regular soil drenches and main stem sprays with Azatrol, to keep the population in control and its worked for the most part. Still aphids in flower but under control. Good Luck to ya, and vigilence and staying on top of them and you can beat em!

bushwakka

thanks lilmiss,i did loads of googling to find that stuff, in the uk we seem to have a lack of such things, and being 4 weeks into flower i'm trying not to stress them,.apparently they love wet soil so my leaching has really multiplied them! Have just germinated some trainwreck so need to clear the problem and prevent reoccurence.
I have had to put one in a cupboard under a separate light because the pistils have started browning and male flowers appearing, am hoping i've caught it before it spreads too much pollen. Have given it ripen to try and get something decent from it.

bushwakka

This thread is going way off topic.
because people are suggesting it could be something else?Feel free to point me in the right direction lola, if there is a thread for people who think they might have gnats but it could possibly be something else and you cant get dunks in your country thread?for example? I only ask as you seem to know where we should be? Or maybe you dont and just felt like posting something inane?anyhow please point me as to where we should alll be posting according to you and i'm sure icmag members will be eternally grateful!
I'm sure with your months membership you can show us all the error of our ways?

*Lola*

because people are suggesting it could be something else?Feel free to point me in the right direction lola, if there is a thread for people who think they might have gnats but it could possibly be something else and you cant get dunks in your country thread?for example? I only ask as you seem to know where we should be? Or maybe you dont and just felt like posting something inane?anyhow please point me as to where we should alll be posting according to you and i'm sure icmag members will be eternally grateful!
I'm sure with your months membership you can show us all the error of our ways?

Sorry to offend you. I started this thread, and was trying to keep it on topic of mosquito dunks.

bushwakka

no probs lola,just thought lilmiss had a point and other people may benefit from it like me but anyhow i will vanish from this thread as dunks cannot be bought in uk and it looks like mine might not be gnats. at least this thread helped me(at least lil miss did anyhow) so i'll leave you to your thread as it seems you you want it so bad. not sure how much you can add after 16 pages but i will sure keep checking in to see how much more you can add to it without anyone putting you off track.
Maybe you should add a note on your next thread that anyone with ideas different to yours are not welcome eh?

lilmiss

Sorry to offend you. I started this thread, and was trying to keep it on topic of mosquito dunks.

Hey Lola. The reason I suggest that there may be something else wrong besides the gnats, is because for about 6 months (may have been longer) I thought I had the Worst "fungus gnat" infestation ever. I too have used Mosquito Dunks in the past and they work like a charm-for the gnats. However, this time when I used the MD it didn't work. Everything I used for fungus gnats, that worked in the past wasn't working this time, and damage was getting out of hand. Finally, a member of another board opened my eyes to the possibility that they were root aphids in a winged form, not fungus gnats at all (although they often go hand in hand, one creates the perfect conditions for the other to move right in). People think they have the gnats, and come right here.

I don't mean to step on your thread at all, Mosquito Dunks work Great! And when I first found out about them, I too wanted to shout it from the rooftops. Great thread!!

PS: Bushwacca here you go, check this out buddy, it'll tell you all you need to know: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=159960

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
reading the 1st 3-4 pages of this thread it seems putting 1/4tsp MD in the soil is the way to go.
does putting them into the water supply do as good of a job?
I use a 32 gallon trash can for water and it would be a lot easier for me to spike the water supply with a dunk or two rather than treat every individual pot, theres lots of pots to treat. I figure peeps have tried it different ways by now and might have a revised opinion on putting MDs in the water.

the gnome

Veteran
:bump:

reading the 1st 3-4 pages of this thread it seems putting 1/4tsp MD in the soil is the way to go.
I use a 32 gallon trash can for water and it would be a lot easier for me to spike the water supply with a dunk or two rather than treat every individual pot, theres lots of pots to treat. I figure peeps have tried it different ways by now and might have a revised opinion on putting MDs in the water.

lilmiss

Actually that is the only way I administered the Mosquito Dunks. Ground em up with a coffee grinder and put the powder into the water or nute solution and it worked Great!

purple_man

Veteran
normally all products containing bacillus thurengenesis israelinis (spelling?), should work great, but will only attack the gnats larvae, not the adults. for example gnats off or similar products. beneficial nematodes work great as well, only harder to get by and can be only stored short term where bti products have a rather long shelflife (2-3 years).

*Lola*

dunks don't mind being dried out between waterings.

If you put dunks in water, it helps to put one inside of a ladies stocking. They are horribly messy in water and tend to clog up drip lines bad.