What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spice Brothers - A11 (F2)

A.N.Other

Spice Brothers - A11 (F2)

this thread is about the A11 F2s available from Spice Brothers. These guys don't seem to have a particularly good reputation on this site but coverage on other sites has been fairly positive and since these beans were pretty cheap so I thought why not? It's always nice to see if the (anti) hype is true. I have been collecting a few A11 F2s from a variety of sources in order to hopefully find some special plants to keep the line alive and well in seed form for archiving. The Spice Bros examples are the first seed type I have have been playing with, this grow i only popped 5 and had 3 grow but i have run a previous pack (8 of 10 germ) and so observations are from both and smoke report os from the selected pheno.

breeder description:

SpiceBrothers said:
Apollo 11 is a awesome indoor hybrid that is Sativa dominant it has a high calyx/leaf ratio & finishes flowering in 7 weeks or less. Expect some variation among individuals. When selecting a keeper I would aim for the more short heavily branched plants with great amounts off dense, resinous bud sites Apollo 11 and Ice Princess are similarly frosty and potent with different highs & flavours. Apollo 11 can be considered "smart weed", very cerebral and thought provoking, a happy high and a citrus flavour.

Specifications: ~Flowering time should be around 45-50 days

during veg all plants were fairly consistant. veg growth is quick and vigorous and veg growth pattern is definately mildly hybidised Sativa but is very controllable. leaves start a little wide but quickly become sativa thin with pronounced jagged edges. the main stem and secondary growth are very very trainable and this secondary growth comes on strong and plentiful and produce hardy and pretty quick rooting clones.

in flower i have found them a little picky in terms of soil structure and they definately seem to prefer a heavily aerated mix watered little and often rather than a heavy mix watered hard and infrequently. with a heavy mix heavily handled (clumsy me!) they can quickly start to yellow off with a bad root ball causing poor nutrient uptake. the femme that was in this position still went on and performed well regardless.

generally across the population i have found two main phenotypes show themselves in flowering. both are fairly consistant in flower structure (one slightly airier than the other) and flowering time, the main difference is in the level of stretch and the amount of useable seconday growth.

there are a few flavours represented across this line, all very sweet and all citric/fruity or soft grape based. the pheno i have kept (for now) is reported on below:

Appearance: this is great looking weed, a little airy in places but covered in well defined trichomes. the bud is pale, almost grey green in colour and due to the calyx to leaf ratio you can give it a great trim with very little effort. there were better looking, tighter phenotypes but these lacked the clout of the aroma on this one.

Aroma: the aroma of the A11 when a jar is opened is a pretty subtle but deep sour citrus smell, this smell is actually surprisingly deep after a good cure but not overpowering strong for sure. flavour and aroma is a fairly important aspect for me so i kept this type as along with the okay flower structure it had by far the best smell on the plant and in the jar. when the buds are broken up there is an apple peel aroma, sweet initially but with a heavy sour undertone. it's a very pleasant (but perhaps a little subtle for some) aroma and i catch myself breaking up a little too much just to smell some more (and smoke some more!!)

Taste: in a joint the taste is very nice, a twist of tropical! the sour apple tones are still there but there is a slight tang of a sweeter, fresher, slightly sharper flavour which a couple of people have likened to grapefruit. whatever it is i like it. it's a kind of fresh summer weed that even on a damp day can transport you somewhere exotic and sunny, even if it is in your mind!

High: the high is very definately and up there in the clouds sativa but relaxing rather than racey, very social, very little direct body load beyond the relaxation. the buzz is a very happy weed, probably good for mild anti-anxiety use. it would also be great for artists and musicians as my perception, both visual and aural seemed enhanced, the sky bluer, the clouds fluffier, the birds singing more sweetly, this is a great summer time outdoor party weed.

Medicinal Uses: My partner is a diagnosed MS sufferer and believes this strains works well (for her) to relax muscles and relieve mild spasms. we also both believe this has anti anxiety properties though neither of us can verify this as neither of us (or our social circle) suffer from a condition of this sort

I apologise for the crappy dry pics, i will endeavour to get some better ones during the day.

hope y'all high. :wave:

S

sow the seeds

I really enjoy your reports A.N.Other. I too really like the A11...very good daytime mj that won't have you spacing out or couchlocked. Your right on with the outdoor party weed...whenever I smoked it I loved being outside riding my bike around with friends.

I ordered some spice bros c99 f2's last year and had a 0/7 germ ratio (along with 3 seeds crushed in the mail) so I don't think I'd get anything from spice brothers again...but its good to hear you had a good experience with em.

G

excellent smoke report bro nice to see someone looking for the pos of a breeder rather then trying to bash them
keep it growing green!!!

G

fet & dman parted ways years ago, so low germ rates would be no surprise as i'm sure whatever stock is left anywhere has been sittin there for a while...never tried any of fet's creations like the a11 f2's (did the bg f1's tho, thankU MrSoul!), but damn near everything from dman has always been very impressive...orange spice anyone? :joint:

nice job on the apollo :)

Last edited:

dyren

Hey ANO, I've been waiting for a nice detailed report on these exact beans for awhile now. I picked up a pack from the doc (chronic) and I'm beginning like week 7 of veg now. I've ended up with 3 females out of 5 apollo seeds of which only 4 made it out of the ground. (3/4 females is great!) And I also have 3 AngelDust (GrowDoc) girls at the same stage (out of 6 germed).

I appreciate you taking the time to write out all your experience with the A11's and I am looking forward, more than ever, to seeing what phenos turn up in the 3 ladies that I've got going now.

I'll definitely post a report when they finish!

(not trying to take over your thread, let me know if you want me to remove/resize any of these.
13118DSCF0389s.jpg

the four Apollo 11 f2's at a little over 2 weeks

13118DSCF0392s.jpg

apollo's on the bottom and the left middle and top left.

13118DSCF0410s.JPG

they got mad bushy (and thirsty)

13118DSCF0417s.jpg

recently got them all into 3 gallon grow bags, they love it

13118DSCF0420s.jpg

sooo healthy!

Thanks again for the write up and pics!

Take care,
dyren

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
uberPheno said:
fet & dman parted ways years ago, so low germ rates would be no surprise as i'm sure whatever stock is left anywhere has been sittin there for a while...never tried any of fet's creations like the a11 f2's (did the bg f1's tho, thankU MrSoul!), but damn near everything from dman has always been very impressive...orange spice anyone? :joint:

nice job on the apollo :)

Strange????? They are quite active on another seed selling site.. FET anyways... pumping out current stock too..

Peace
BB

-BG-

Good report :yes: and I have to agree everything you said...my Apollo11 I choose to keep is just like yours...

-BG-

G

fet=what is spice bros now...dman has nothing to do with them anymore...i dunno maybe fet's still working some of the lines, i know he did most of the bros' f2's and the nh/303...dman did more of the endless sky/silver spice/orange spice/black spice/sunshine daydream/dew/rw13 kinda stuff...the bullshit that went on forever between rez n fet was enough to drive me away from both, but imo dman's crosses trump those two anyways

Last edited:

Goyakla

Ive tried their Matanuska T/A.11- bought from Heavens Satirway.(may it rest in peace)
That is some kind of strain. Great High, easy, and do well outside.
But at the moment they are sold out and have been for several month/ if not years. :joint:
Planing for making f2 soon.Maybe Ill give some to G. for freebees if any interrest.
Peace :wave:

G

awesome report man, i love your style! ive been wanting to try some a11 for quite some time! :yummy:

thanks for including growth information, thats extremely useful. :D

masterlow37

Veteran
A11

A11

High&Lonesome said:
awesome report man, i love your style! ive been wanting to try some a11 for quite some time! :yummy:

thanks for including growth information, thats extremely useful. :D
Ditto !

A.N.Other

thanks sow the seeds, i'm glad you like your A11, a sunny day, some apollo and some good folk makes for a wonderful way to spend time. i had ok germ rates with them on two packs, if i try anymore i'll keep an eye out for it.

cheers walkabout, i like to try and look to the good and will often give people the benefit of the doubt in this industry, everyone seems to have a scam story about everyone!

hi uberpheno, do you know if dman is still working and if so is his stuff available retail stylee? thanks for stopping by man, i agree about these little ructions putting folk off, i try to look past it and i guess that's why i try to do a lot of research before purchasing but always take it with a pinch of sal.

ola dyren. no problem man, show away, i love those pics they illustrate what i mean by the leave thinning after early veg. thanks for sharing bros. here's a veg shot, just as they were fillped to 12/12 of one of mine:

hi bergerbuddy thanks for the info.

hola BG, i hope you like your A11, thanks for the good vibes bros. A11 powered! hehe.

thanks H&L, high praise indeed coming from you bros, thanks a lot, i read your reports when i was researching the kind of accepted style here! yours make feel like i smoked the weed you talked about, i hope to get near that!! i thought some summarised grow info may be useful, that is usually quite important in someones buying decisions.

hehe, thanks to you too master low!

peace and vibes icmag :wave:

Last edited:
G

hehe yeah rez has grown on me a little since then...easy to jump to conclusions when all you see is the bs on the boards without knowing the full story between those who are feuding, oh well it's in the past :)

pretty sure dman's done as far as seeds go, as he's legal now and most of his efforts go into taking care of his family and his patients...kind of a bummer, but commendable on his part

once again kudos on the a11, yet to find anyone who doesn't like her...princess cafe girl and genius were quite a golden find eh? nice job & enjoy!!! :)

Last edited:

A.N.Other

hola uberpheno, hehe, too true man, too true! i've not run any of rez's gear as it's not available anywhere offline. if i was to come out of recluse for a rez strain what would you recommend? regarding dman, yes, family first. thanks for the vibes and you're right, that sensi smile bag was a special one!

hey yellow moon, looks great, very similar to mine at about the same time in flower, keep us updated as they really do change quick! i am toking on an A11 joint now and you have plenty to look forward to!

i had the camera out today but not before the sun went down so i still haven't got any more dry pics to add but i will get this done soon! :wave:

14246A11_-_50_days_flower_0.jpg

Last edited:

A.N.Other

took a few more dry shots but we still haven't had any good light so these are pretty mediocre. the weed on the other hand is great, it's saturday morning i have a stinking hangover and have just finished an a11 wake and bake, and i feel 5x more human. and awake enough to get my arse out of bed and go cook my girl breakfast in bed.

a11, breakfast of champs, hehe:

G

hola uberpheno, hehe, too true man, too true! i've not run any of rez's gear as it's not available anywhere offline. if i was to come out of recluse for a rez strain what would you recommend? regarding dman, yes, family first. thanks for the vibes and you're right, that sensi smile bag was a special one!
only gear from rez i've run is the sourD bx1.5 but those are a thing of the past (my 2 packs of strawberryD got seized), though i got a girl from the 1.5's that i absolutely love that is basically sourD smoke on a plant that yields substantially heavier...i dunno none of his gear is bad by any means, but of the hybrids he offers i'd be inclined to try something with kali mist, dtc99, or killer queen...actually i'm not a huge fan of the ecsd even though i've had the cut a few years cuz i have friends that love it, just have lotsa others i prefer...and most of the kush line i already have cuts of, no need to water them down, or rather "hybridize" them with hk cuz no one's in a position to say it's really gonna water them down yet i guess...actually i found a few dads from suge's ogbx1, but one has shown himself better than the others in the first testings, that i think is gonna spread his love dust onto my moms like rez is doin with the hk, and it's gonna be quite grand me thinks ;) gonna hit my black blowfish, ecsd, aeric77 calio, chocolate trip, black spice, a couple kushes, and my PDQ cut first and see how things go...meanwhile working on finding a male cbII to start my bx'ing of the cherry slyder cut and a male dirty harry to start bx'ing the pukeberry cut

these pics from u guys got me to order a pack of joey weed's a11 f2's yesterday heheh sheesh

Last edited:

A.N.Other

wow man sounds like you are super busy! good luck with all the projects uberPheno, sounds like you have one hell of a stock of cali-clone genetics! SOME of that is this side of the Atlantic but much of it remains something i will only smoke on any trips to the US so it;s always nice to see these things documented online. the web has been a revelation for me, people who are as passionate about this as me, wicked. i love it here!

and wow, given what is in your garden saying you are inspired to go fire up some a11 is super cool, thanks for the vibes bros. when you turn those girls out let us all know, i'm interested as JWs a11 is going to fit into next autumn/winters schedule somewhere.

thanks for the rez info, i would perhaps take the kali you mention as kali mist is one of my favourite smokes, when it was changed and more indica was added i was gutted as i hadn't bought any seeds. I stillwant to get her in my garden but she is lower on the list now. i hear western winds is the better bet now. i'd like to try any cindy/apollo rereleases rez does, and hopefully at seed bo rather than bay so i can get them offline.

have a good (rest of the) weekend.

Heh, A.N.,

I don't think you need to apologize for your pics - ha, ha. Those buds are gorgeous man! mouthwatering.

Thanks for another wonderful report. You're having an impact on my next seed purchase. thanks!

big bang

thanks for the write up. i am doing joey weed's A11, will be interesting to see how it compares to your experience. i've heard nothing but good things about A11 so i'm sure I won't be dissapointed.