What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which trim tray is the way to go?

bs0

I see there are a few different options, trim tray, trim bin, etc. All look terribly overpriced for what they are ($50 for $1 of materials) but I don't know of a better option. Ya'll bite the bullet and pick these up or do you make something yourself to serve the purpose?

RawNature

iv been using stainless steel chafers had some laying around. was thinking about a trim bin but then figured id just get something like bubble bags in the future instead.

Beaucephus

i use big tupperware tray... i don’t see the sense in most trim trays with screens. ..thats gotta be the most abrasive thing you could lay your trich covered bud on.

TdotGonG

Get an old glass pane from a table top or old window. Best thing imho. Was at the grow shop the other day and dude spent 60$ on one of those trays, felt bad for buddy cause you could tell he bought it cause of hype. Not to mention resting you're wrists on a pivot/pressue point like that will fuck you're tendons and knerves up, Take it from a guy who just had carpal surgery. use a surface you can rest you forearm on comfortably. You wont be trimmin if you're digits are pooched.

bs0

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into these. My old standard was always a folding table with a trash bag on top but that isn't perfect and I don't have the help I used to (damn pandemic) so I want to be able to find different sitting positions... Sitting in any one posture for hours and hours for days on end is hard on the old body.

I used to sift keef with dry ice onto a mirror before, that really worked well so that's good thinking. I'm interested in the paint trays and will do some looking. If you dry trim any decent sized amount having some way to catch keef is super worthwhile. It's also another way to pay back your helpers - keep your trim keef in addition to other reimbursement.

BallsackSal

I was pondering the same decision the other day. I caved and got the trim bin. Its nice and comfy and I can sit in my recliner and trim with the TV on. I also feel like a real sucker for paying $52 for essentially a $4 bus tub with a screen. I must say I do like it.

mack 10

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into these. My old standard was always a folding table with a trash bag on top but that isn't perfect and I don't have the help I used to (damn pandemic) so I want to be able to find different sitting positions... Sitting in any one posture for hours and hours for days on end is hard on the old body.

I used to sift keef with dry ice onto a mirror before, that really worked well so that's good thinking. I'm interested in the paint trays and will do some looking. If you dry trim any decent sized amount having some way to catch keef is super worthwhile. It's also another way to pay back your helpers - keep your trim keef in addition to other reimbursement.

plus 1,
as said its a bit of a rip but...
i used to trim over some big screens but you would always have to stand/sit in a funny position.
always ending up with a bad back etc.
the Trim Tray is a much better option. much more ergonomical,
Easy to move around, standing or sitting.
just get a comfy chair and get to work.
now you can get replacement screens, either 150u or 200u.
and they do collect resin quiet nicely.

so either make one if you cant afford it
or just bite the bullet and snag one.
it will last years.
and no im not trying to sell you one. lol.

think i even paid £60 for mine cause i wanted the static brush
which is actually not the best.
finding a stiff bristled brush is not so easy, these days.

PDX Dopesmoker

I put a piece of printer paper on the table and trim so all the material lands on it. Its a durable system, I've used the same pair of scissors for years and a piece of paper lasts about 18 months or so of regular use.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I used to get all OCD on manual trimming. Now I just drop it in a blow trimmer and bob's your uncle. I've yet to have anyone ask if it was trimmed by hand. If they did, I'd tell them to fuck off.

I have better things to do with my time. Seriously

Your ladies need a good trim? Try the Sunflower Trimmer https://youtu.be/N5CqENNTmYs

sunflower_trimmer.jpg

bs0

I used to get all OCD on manual trimming. Now I just drop it in a blow trimmer and bob's your uncle. I've yet to have anyone ask if it was trimmed by hand. If they did, I'd tell them to fuck off.

I have better things to do with my time. Seriously

What do you use? I have a couple different "trimmer machines" and their output can vary significantly. Sometimes just fine, others total crap. I've been eyeing that CenturionPro tabletop though...

LouDog420

12" x 12" piece of tile, eight pieces of scrap wood to create two levels of framing, one mesh screen that attaches to the bottom of one level of frame (this sits on top), some epoxy or adhesive cement to bond the tile to the other level of the wooden frame (this is the bottom), and some velcro to connect your tile/frame with the mesh/frame... You have yourself a removable screen and trim tray at whatever mesh size you want. Great for trimming and sorting/shucking seeds, and certainly less than $50... Ends up with some nice sift after a trim session.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
What do you use? I have a couple different "trimmer machines" and their output can vary significantly. Sometimes just fine, others total crap. I've been eyeing that CenturionPro tabletop though...

iPower Leaf Bowl Trimmer
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007GGQYXS/

16 inch. With the 19 inch, the blades are too long and will bend under their own weight over time, so the part of the blade at the edge of the bowl will be further than at the center of the bowl. But I think that would happen with any 19".

Also, There are spacers under the blades so if you remove them, your blade can get much closer to the "grill".

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Dry Trimmer.
I made this bad boy a couple years ago. Still haven't used it.

Attachments

• photo1829571.jpg
    photo1829571.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 59

bs0

That looks like a good way to lose customers.

Ya, as I mentioned earlier I have a few trimming machines. Bowl trimmers are real hit or miss, and when they miss they destroy the material. You gotta clean the heck out of them frequently so things don't get gummed up and you get tired arm. My trimpro rotor is a bit better, but still not good enough for people's tastes these days. You can only put very specific varieties into the trimmers, and of those you need to have specific sized roundish buds. Watch the "demo" videos and all buds are approx 1.5-2.5" perfect spheres. Anything irregular like sour diesel, OG or sativa dominant plants just get hammered by any automatic trimmer. Got a nice pretty GSC? Kick it around in the trim machine for a while and it loses its luster. Then you have to still go thru and pluck out all the crow feet.

You can use these machines for crappy bud or stuff going into concentrates/prerolls or personals. Sometimes you will have whole plant where the mids are just right and dump it into the machine... But usually not. Obviously to each their own and results may vary but I've moved away from the ones I have. If anyone has one they have great luck with it's always good to hear - maybe the tech is better now than it was 6ish years ago when I first tried. That centurion pro tabletop keeps tempting me ...

I picked up one of the trim trays (TrimBin), I'm a big fan. I like the different sitting options it gives me - sit on chair, stand at counter, sit on floor, whatever.

Latest posts

Latest posts