No announcement yet.

Trichome "Myth"? What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also agree with Jock. Back in the 60's I had no clue about trichs or amber or any of this. I went by the look and taste of the plant. At the time I was growing a landrace Columbian that was 16 weeks in flower. I only got in 2 crops a year. That was ages before commercial seeds (at least for me) and decent hybrids were few and far between. I remember forcing the extra nice plants to hermie so we could have "Feminized" seeds. LMAO

Anyway, back on the topic of trics, here is a good example. This Bruce Banner still has mostly cloudy, some clear and zero amber. IMO, this plant is ready. Perhaps past. Like mentioned, calyx's are swollen, bracs and leaves are fading, it just LOOKS ready. LMAO

I could be wrong. I'm a rookie and don't know shit about pot. Still I've been doing it 50 years and you can't walk down a dusty road without getting a little dirt on your shoes.

Also, because the timing will be right for the other plants in this tent, I'll be taking these Banner toward the end of this week.

I am open to comments. The location of the plants in the tent made it impossible to get a pic of the entire plant but just these bud shots paint a clear picture.

Like I said, I'm all ears.

Attached Files
    The American Psychiatric Association's standard reference for psychiatry defines over 450 different mental disorders. I suffer from most of them.
    Please be understanding if I act a tiny bit unusual at times. Thank you.

Comment

it is really easy to tell an immature trichome vs a degrading one and when it's in between just by looking at the plant, I only ever used a loupe on my first plant when all I knew better was the stuff I read on the internet and hadn't actually grown any plants yet

they sort of swell up when they get milky and are filling up with a higher concentration of oils, the area of frost will look fuller and brighter, if an area looks silver it's immature

fresh trichomes are still maturing when some start to degrade, some buds are still filling in when some trichomes start to degrade, if a trichome looks darker and like it has shrunk compared to the others it is starting to degrade, but if one harvests at the first sign of this it will hurt yield and overall potency which is what I feel noob loupe growers are somewhat conditioned to do

when I start noticing that is when I start thinking about beginning flush, maybe with one last carbs/sugars feed, plants are 110% more of a pain in the ass to handle and move around this late in the game, patience is key

harvesting at the advertised flower time and at the first sign of amber is the easy way out, if you want champion buds you have to take them the distance

overall I feel that pistil maturation is a more important thing to pay attention to, if there are fresh long white hairs it means that calyxes are capable of swelling in those areas bringing fresh trichomes, but you have to be a lot more on point with that method, like if the last of the pistils are receding you can't just start flushing then, they have to be ready to be chopped within the next 3 days or bud rot and selfing seed start to become potential issues

Comment

Originally posted by Ringodoggie View Post
        I also agree with Jock. Back in the 60's I had no clue about trichs or amber or any of this. I went by the look and taste of the plant. At the time I was growing a landrace Columbian that was 16 weeks in flower. I only got in 2 crops a year. That was ages before commercial seeds (at least for me) and decent hybrids were few and far between. I remember forcing the extra nice plants to hermie so we could have "Feminized" seeds. LMAO

Anyway, back on the topic of trics, here is a good example. This Bruce Banner still has mostly cloudy, some clear and zero amber. IMO, this plant is ready. Perhaps past. Like mentioned, calyx's are swollen, bracs and leaves are fading, it just LOOKS ready. LMAO

I could be wrong. I'm a rookie and don't know shit about pot. Still I've been doing it 50 years and you can't walk down a dusty road without getting a little dirt on your shoes.

Also, because the timing will be right for the other plants in this tent, I'll be taking these Banner toward the end of this week.

I am open to comments. The location of the plants in the tent made it impossible to get a pic of the entire plant but just these bud shots paint a clear picture.

Like I said, I'm all ears.

Now THAT is ripe
        Ganja gu brah

JB's Sativa Hacking Hub

Comment

I believe nitrogen levels are worth noting, at least as far as new pistils and growth late in flower are concerned.

As for amber % and individuality, I've run across *many* growers who harvest with a lot of amber. I've also noticed they have a much higher tolerance to CBN (or terpene/cannabnoid combo making the narcotic/blackout effect), and/or they're using significant amounts of caffeine or other stimulants.

I do my best to avoid late harvested cannabis when I have work to do.
          Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis (A Healthier Approach to Hydroponic Cannabis)
          DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds
          DIY Super Inexpensive HEPA Filtration
          6-Second Pain Relief for Arthritic and Joint Pain
          8-Minute CBD Test
          Cool and Dry Flowering Discussion Thread

Comment

OK.... myth or fact: When the trics turn amber, that is an indication that the THC converting to CBN.

Is that true?

The American Psychiatric Association's standard reference for psychiatry defines over 450 different mental disorders. I suffer from most of them.
            Please be understanding if I act a tiny bit unusual at times. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X