What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Want to Know if Your Flowering Environment is Off?

Rondon

Have you had your 20% RH product tested side by side against your 30%? IMO factors such as nutrition and lighting play a much larger role in cannabinoid production than a 10% decrease in humidity.

Huh??? Relative Humidity...Temperature and co2 is EVERYTHING IN A GROW ROOM. Besides the cultivar being grown and canopy training/management. Nutrients dont mean a hell of alot compared to the above. Low temps...low humidity in middle to late flowering gets it done...everytime. Damn a vapor pressure chart. Maybe in veg and early flower but yoh want to decrease temps amd humidity bigtime as flowering photoperiod progresses. I know what iam talking about.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You ever drop through the Las Vegas area, lemme know. ;) I'd love to sample some of what you have going there. :)

olekingkole

How to keep the bottom of a large fabric pot dry so roots don't rot? Pour 2" of vermiculite in a large water heater tray and place the pot on that. The vermiculite will buffer the moisture level in the bottom of the fabric pot. No more root rot.
25% humidity may be fine for coco, rockwool or DWC, but not for growth media that require a definite wet/dry cycle, such as soil or a coco/peat/perlite mix. During the dry cycle, it gets harder to pull water out of the medium and transpiration needs to slow down. That means you want higher humidity, at least 50%.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

25% humidity may be fine for coco, rockwool or DWC, but not for growth media that require a definite wet/dry cycle, such as soil or a coco/peat/perlite mix. During the dry cycle, it gets harder to pull water out of the medium and transpiration needs to slow down. That means you want higher humidity, at least 50%.
Excuse me? Are you using airpots or something else which is contributing to 'unhealthy' evaporation rates of your medium?

You certainly don't want transpiration to slow down, unless you're somehow predicting the lowered ec you need to feed for it? Cannabis is much too easily overfed, especially with fluctuations in the transpiration rate. I would suggest changing the methods you're using for soil or soiless runs, I personally haven't noticed any problems with those mediums.

Though I prefer hydro, I've run all types of grows in the same conditions.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hello,

I've come across one way to show a visible representation to the grower, when their flowering environment is out of whack and causing stress.

Simply give your plants 48hrs of darkness before harvest.

When your environment is beautiful, you'll see no change in your plants. When your environment is stressful, you'll see a visible change in the health of the plants. (A sigh of relief!)

Though not recommended in mid-flower, you can definitely use this trick at that time. It will *slightly* decrease flowering time. Perhaps so little it doesn't matter. I've only done it before harvest.

Douglas

G `day CD

Relevance of the temps not being effected by the heat of your lights and the transpiration of the plants under lights for 2 days is not correlative to the ebb and flow of environment when in actual flower regime .

No cigar .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

D

Dioni

My best indoor grows are in the winter and I can run with no ac in my environment @ 80 - 82 f and 25 to 30 rh. my finished product is well above average of the same strains I see others grow in different conditions.
After reading D C 's view on this I will be running a dehumidifier at a lower setting this summer. I always suspected keeping my humidity lower was a quality enhancer.

olekingkole

D.C- Lowering the humidity is fine for hydo because the growth medium never dries out. If you keep the EC constant the water potential energy at root uptake remains at nearly zero.So there's nothing to pull water out of the plant's water column. When you lower the humidity, transpiration increases without any threat of wilting.
It's different with soil and soiless mixes. As these dry, the potential energy quickly becomes very negative. Then if you lower the humidity, the water column is pulled apart and the plant wilts.
You do it your way, I'll do it mine-with airpots. I'm sure there's room in the world for both of us.

MTNMEN

95% of the folks here go out of their way to try to make growing cannabis like trying to find precursors for lsd. Its a shitoad easyier than a lot would have you believe. Oh and talk about anal retentive Nick picking? god forbid someone grow a great plant without an " online pot kings" methods. lmao typical languishing society that'd rather plug in an internet connection than read a book and work on agricultural farms!

Douglas.Curtis

The truth is, 95% of the planet has a ridiculously low sense of taste and smell. Without being able to truly appreciate what cannabis is capable of, lots of mediocre cannabis is 'great weed.' Scoff all you like. :)

madalasatori

Veteran
One thing I have found is that by dimming the lights down gradually in the last week to 50% improves quality slightly

Douglas.Curtis

One thing I have found is that by dimming the lights down gradually in the last week to 50% improves quality slightly
I too am a fan of reducing intensity the last 7-10 days. Dimmable LEDs allow this now, but without changing spectrum (like a dimmed HID) or having to mess with the lamp height.

:)

Drewsif

The truth is, 95% of the planet has a ridiculously low sense of taste and smell. Without being able to truly appreciate what cannabis is capable of, lots of mediocre cannabis is 'great weed.' Scoff all you like. :)

Sad thing is how many people are growing Dunning Kruger OG. Anyone growing hydro claiming to be focused on quality. People who think frosty strains favor the best in blind tests. Terpene toms spewing that ecig nonsense. You're right.. I bet they don't even vaporize or make hash, smoking tar pretending to care about flavor.

As focused as I am on flavor and effect (you know, sugars, acids, lactones, things that actually matter), my bud is about a 5 out of 10 compared to what's out there. The crazy weed I aspire to grow, i imagine those growers think they're growing mids (most are for the fact they don't grasp drying and curing and fall for the backwards terpene/refrigerator nonsense.. )

If I have a dead animal in my yard, how do i make it smellier?

"lower the temperature" - Dunning Krueger growers.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
5 years on, and still no huge shift in general consensus. Lower RH leading to more bag appeal is being seen though. I myself was asked if something new was on the market after my grow and somebody else's both seemed more dusted. They were speaking of a grow some time ago, but it timed in around January when RH would be lower. It was my 'go to' thought. Most are still running 40-50% though. You really need a dry air supply to begin with, to reach them levels without a big air-handling bill. Another resin producer seems to be calcium, while molybdenum and 'awkwardly' silicon are in the frame.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had a hunch...
The results of silicon treatments for plant's is hampered by the fact so much is in the air. Often as silicon dioxide. In the states, Colorado has the highest number of lung complaints regarding silicon levels. This is where Curtis lives. Silicon was recently touted as a major component in the sticky icky. Thus, it could be living in Colorado playing quite a part in the buds presentation. Though as a state, I have not heard it screaming out that theirs is better. So can't be a huge part of the puzzle. Just enough to make to go and look.

There is so much, that of 2500 workers digging a tunnel, 2250 developed lung problems. Over 750 actually died. That was following the discovery of a different silicon bond that made it useful in steel production. So useful, they made the tunnel bigger, and the slag then paid for the tunnel. The more typical use of silicon in the region is fake stone.

Douglas.Curtis

Colorado has the most polluted 'natural contaminate' air I've ever experienced. The silicon is a surprise though, definitely not something I was aware of. I filter my air with high micron filters, so likely not due to silicon in the air. I also use r/o filtered water, so it's not coming in that way either. I too am seeing more and more people talking about the dry runs being the better quality. I had hoped it would happen sooner, but it's only been 10 years of pushing it and the community changes slowly most times. lol

Yes, living in a dry climate makes it significantly easier to hit the low RH I like. I lived in super dry areas for years, so without a budget to increase RH I didn't. These days I have higher RH and the runs are not as frosty as I'd like. Eventually I'll be back where I want to be, up in some dry area of the rockies and loving it. :) A/C needed only a month and a half out of the year, the rest of the year is dry as a bone.

I'm seeing better quality dispensary flowers these days in Colorado, though still heavily polluted with pesticides and whatnot. Progress is good...

Sunshineinabag

Here

20210513_110403.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks!

I was aware today's cereal grains are much more difficult to digest, but I had no idea they'd removed cobalt from the mix. Have you supplemented cobalt in your soil mix and noticed a measurable difference in the cannabis?