What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your tips and secrets

Z

Ziggaro

Man you guys should have stopped by the mag a long time ago. Feels like the boveda packs have been around for years now.
My secret is be careful who's secrets you trust to employ for yourself. You will find that advice isn't always given from a standpoint of knowledge, and sometimes might even have downright malicious intent.
Scientific knowledge is your best friend. Learn some basic biology.

nabzter

Well said hence why I did some research in threads and other forums. Also looked at the science behind how they work. Is there any negatives to the bovado packs I should be aware of ?

rangergord

Understand that temperature and humidity are key to keeping the essential oils and terpenes that interact with the cannabinoids producing the perfect high that everyone searches for. Low humidity and high temps will evaporate all the dankness of your herb away into the air and gone forever. Whatever methods you use make sure you measure your environment with a hygrometer. Trial and error results in error:)

1. They won't re-start a cure that's stopped from low humidity.
2. They aren't edible.
if your flowers are too dry after a cure, it will rehydrate to the correct rh for optimum smoking and preservation but Jellyfish is rght, they can't cure flowers that have been over dried. They basically replace burping, freshen up dry bud that's been cured, stores your flowers at perfection for long periods of time, and reduces shake in containers leaving more on your actual nugs.

You certainly don't need them for great bud, but they make a few steps in the process very very easy. And yeah, don't eat them.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Growing 20 to 40 plants of different genotype ratios. Your harvest times will vary accordingly. I harvest 4 days after last watering. I trim all fan leaves and portion of sugar leaves while plant is rooted. I leave all buds on main stalk and hang for two weeks in darker area with good ventilation. I cut buds off of main stalks when they almost snap clean when bent 90 degrees. I leave little leaflets on buds to protect buds during cure and handling. IMO, mason jars qrt. and 1/2gal. work best. ( when doing a seed run I cure seeds in buds before removal.) Keeping all like hybrids together not compacted in jars. 2/3 full I open jars at 6pm. and leave open until 10pm. every night for two months. Then they can stay sealed after that for ages. I do try to keep jars and hanging plants in a dark area to keep chlorophyll production after cutting to a minimum. I don't sale or have a dispensary so I don't mind the extra time and labor. After the first cycle of doing this your weed quality will be tastier than anything else in town. Providing DJ Short doesn't live in your town. lol
Don't chase names you heard in a song or movie. Mandala seeds (Mandala1 or Ganesh)
DNA Genetics ( Island or LA Confidential) are outstanding and easy for beginners. Any DJ Short or Ace Seeds genetics are top shelf once you know what your doing. Quality is their goal you won't be disappointed either. PEACE

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I developed my own way of drying that fits my grow and gives me the best smell and taste. It probably wouldn't be feasible for anything more than a small # of plants. I run a perpetual and only harvest 1 or 2 plants per week. My rh is usually 40-50% in my house. First thing after chop is I remove all the fan leaves, then hang the branches for 3 days. No air movement over the buds as I want the sugar leaves to fold down over the buds and lock in the smell. After 3 days I cut the buds off the branches. They still feel moist to the touch. Next they go into 16X22X8" clear plastic totes from wally world. I fill a 3" layer of ice melt salts(6 different salts in the brand I use) and place a screen over the salts. Close the lid and they sit in the box for 24 hours- no air movement. After about 24 they will feel dry on the outside with moisture inside. Now I trim off the sugar leaves and then bag the buds in 1 gal bags. I leave them in the bags overnite and this draws the moisture from inside the bud to the outside. Back into the totes with new dry salt. 6-8 hours on salt. Back into bags overnite and the last dry the next day is 1-2 hours. If you leave buds in salts too long at any stage yer fucked. Salts can remove every last bit of h2o. I'm using the same 50# of salt I bought 2 years ago, when the surface of the salt feels moist I dry it in the oven or laying out in the sun. When my finished buds go into a sealed bag or jars they are ready for cure with no burping. It's tricky and there is a learning curve but it gives me better smelling bud than any other way I've tried. I'm pretty sure it is the no air movement over the bud that does it. Whatever, this just how I like to dry my buds. Works for me.:tiphat:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Thanks for sharing man a very interesting and unique method.

He's got a good method, I've seen what he can do and its on point. I asked him directly.. cause it looked really good. Its very different from the typical dry it and toss it in with some boveda packs, but its more thoughtful than that.

He's got a good point about air movement, I slow my drying process down with bags, but I still get some crispy edges, it takes about 7-10 days before it can even hit a jar.

Boveda humidity packs arent bad, I just need bigger packs or something that I can reuse.

mojoman

just a heads up on Boveda paks...when they dry up, don't toss 'em...get a rack to fit a tray and elevate the tray 1-2" from them bottom...add water to just below the rack...put spent Boveda's on rack, apply lid, wait a week or 2 and they are good for next time....hth

mojo

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
5 year bump on this old thread....

Never, ever rub your eyes with your fingers when you're trimming..

I've known this for a very, very long time..
But due to having a pretty good buzz while trimming yesterday, I was reminded why....

thedudefresco

But due to having a pretty good buzz while trimming yesterday, I was reminded why....

lol I dont think I have done this what happens? Burn?

eye get stuck? lmao

Veggia farmer

HAHA! Thanks for laugh! Im always caution about rubbing my eyes after I play with the dogs or cat. One day I was like WTF!?! is happening to my eyes?! I have NOT played with the animals...

Sometime later, ahhhh, THA WEED!

I also get some allergic reaction to dry trimming. Not sure if it just small dry particles in my lungs or what...?

Veggia farmer

lol I dont think I have done this what happens? Burn?

eye get stuck? lmao

Somethings you just gotta experience mate!

Naaahh..!

It burns, are you allergic to something? something like that is ichy and sticky, I remember, it sucks, but for some reason its hard to remember exactly what. LOL!

thedudefresco

Trade Secret: cure some nug untrimmed and trim it before showin it off for better sczents.

2.) Dry fresh Nuggies out for about 12-14 days till, when jarred, they register at about 52-53 humidity after sitting closed in the jar for a few hrs, then just jar em and never worry about burp em. Moistture will rise slowly and then normalize.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
2.) Dry fresh Nuggies out for about 12-14 days till, when jarred, they register at about 52-53 humidity after sitting closed in the jar for a few hrs, then just jar em and never worry about burp em. Moistture will rise slowly and then normalize.

Sure, this can be done. The only thing I'd suggest is to leave ample stem mass on the flowers. They need to draw moisture from somewhere. If we're talking about large colas with substantial stems inside, then no need for additional stem mass. If they're small flowers scattered on a long stem, fold the entire thing into the container. I think folks are getting the idea. Good luck.

Simon