What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Trela881

I also had Malawi but I did not have time to prepare cobs because I was late to buy the vacuum sealant and it dried a bit. At the weekend I tried a small dose (0.15) I ate and it had a very nice spicy taste but without obvious effect (I was impatient). In smoking, although it had not dried very well, it was somewhat different, it had a nice heavy head but not for long. I will definitely give some ripening period, I will try again at Christmas. :)
I would definitely like to prepare some of the Malawi since the dried flower of a month I would say is one of the most uplifting and happy buds I have ever tasted. It is not stony at all, I harvested it only with 10-15 amber trichomes.

Tangwena

Veteran
There are other comps that first dried for a few days and then sweated and sealed and have wonderful sweet smells. I will keep them for about 3 weeks in cool sealed conditions. I believe with the tools of Ace GT, SMH and Thai x Panama can not go wrong. :D

Its that nice smell that is your guide once you find it you know you have done well.
Those strains grown well harvested at the right time and cob cured are some of the best pot on the planet you chose well my friend.
Once you have 50 posts up you should be able to post pictures I would love to see pics of the good smelling cobs ha ha.
I can get off from the pics on their own these days ha ha.
You are doing a great job from your reports.

Tangwena

Veteran
I also had Malawi but I did not have time to prepare cobs because I was late to buy the vacuum sealant and it dried a bit. At the weekend I tried a small dose (0.15) I ate and it had a very nice spicy taste but without obvious effect (I was impatient). In smoking, although it had not dried very well, it was somewhat different, it had a nice heavy head but not for long. I will definitely give some ripening period, I will try again at Christmas. :)
I would definitely like to prepare some of the Malawi since the dried flower of a month I would say is one of the most uplifting and happy buds I have ever tasted. It is not stony at all, I harvested it only with 10-15 amber trichomes.

You could try it even now vacuum seal the dried buds and leave them in a warm place like before, but dont open the bag for at least a month you might be able to get Malawi Gold effect its worth a try.

Tangwena

Veteran
Very similar to my own. GT, SMH, Zamaladelecia, New Caladonia and Panama. We're already enjoying some early Panama cob. Mrs DM took a little (0.19gms) today and has blitzed the house ad throughly ejoyed herself.

Oh yeah thats the effects I love wizzing around the house on cloud nine ha ha.
It sounds like the cure is progressing well, by Christmas your both going to be believing in elves ha ha

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Last year I vacced up some fairly dry bud, (it was already in the jar). No vissable sweat and no real colour change. I left it sealed up in a warm place for several months. I didn't have any real hopes for it, but after 6months it had worked! Awesome.
Half an hour ago I took .75g of Panama and can feel the euphoria coming! Awesome stuff!.

Trela881

Hello guys, I really appreciate your optimistic messages! Today I opened some sealed cobs and found that the super malawi haze has done a very good job with very nice smells and a beautiful golden hue. Now as for the other cobs that I sealed earlier than I should, I am a little disappointed with the appearance and the ugly smell of the golden tiger smelling like a dead animal ... I hope after drying and maturing it will have some desired effect.
So I will go again sealing some partially dried buds from Malawi and Thai x Panama for a long time in the hope that they can become even more magical .. :)
Thank you very much for your advice .. :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Last year I vacced up some fairly dry bud, (it was already in the jar). No vissable sweat and no real colour change. I left it sealed up in a warm place for several months. I didn't have any real hopes for it, but after 6months it had worked! Awesome.
Half an hour ago I took .75g of Panama and can feel the euphoria coming! Awesome stuff!.

Ha Ha I soon learned to respect the Panama the first hit I had of a 3 months aged cured cob I was high at first and thought yeah this is awesome I will take a drive on the freeway into town ha ha.
Big mistake no sooner had I left the the slip road onto the freeway than the REAL effects came on and fast ha ha.
The car radio was playing California dreaming by the Beach Boys and I could feel myself starting to leave the car and I knew where I was going CALIFORNIA ha ha.
I had to pull over until the wave finished then take the first exit back home driving with great difficulty until I got there ha ha.

Lucky I live opposite a nice beach because I spent the rest of the day tripping balls talking to all the creatures in the rock pools at low tide ha ha beautiful high.
Here are some pics I took that day with my phone camera one of the most beautiful days I have had walking on the exposed reef it seemed God was was showing me his creations ha ha.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0874 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	18004647
Click image for larger version  Name:	JHZB5140.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	18004648

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello guys, I really appreciate your optimistic messages! Today I opened some sealed cobs and found that the super malawi haze has done a very good job with very nice smells and a beautiful golden hue. Now as for the other cobs that I sealed earlier than I should, I am a little disappointed with the appearance and the ugly smell of the golden tiger smelling like a dead animal ... I hope after drying and maturing it will have some desired effect.
So I will go again sealing some partially dried buds from Malawi and Thai x Panama for a long time in the hope that they can become even more magical .. :)
Thank you very much for your advice .. :)

A steep learning curve for you my friend one of the most important parameters is moisture content better to try too dry and work backwards.
Its easy once you know the limits of moisture contents that work its quite a wide range but too moist always makes for a dark stinky mess thats not attractive.
It should still get you high because the resin will still be there unchanged to a large extent.

Check out this cob I made a few years ago with some Panama I revegged from a good plant. It was attacked by white fly so I had to take it a few weeks early.
I put the cob in my car parked in the hot sun for a week as I forgot it was there.
When I opened it it was a dark chocolate colour and not very pleasant smelling. I dried it out and a more pleasant smell returned.
After a week of being dry I tried half a gram not expecting much boy was I in for a surprise I got so high I got lost in my own house walking from the kitchen to the laundry ha ha.
I thought where the F---K am I ha ha.
It was potent trip I was seeing things moving in my peripheral vision and hearing strange sounds it was very potent. I still have some sealed up its about 7 years old now.

pan1.JPG
pan2.JPEG
pan3.JPG

Tangwena

Veteran
By way of comparison here is a slice off of a Purple Honduras x Panama cob from a couple of years ago after only 2 weeks cure at 30c after 6 hours at 40c sweating.
I dried the cobs after 2 weeks cure and started the aging as the test was euphoric and very terpy amazing smells like old Nepalese temple hash.
Nothing is set in stone you have to use yoyr nose and sense of smell to guide you to the best stages of every step of the way.

h3.jpg
h2.jpg
h1.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

Looks like a dog turd! I have one similar that I made the other week with some 24hr dried New Caledonia, 6hrs sweat at 40c, dry and then 5 days at 30c. When I took it out after the 5 days at 30, the smell wasn't particularly nice but the ferment smell was present also. Now it's bee drying for several days the unpleasant smell is fading and it is developing a sweet smell, but very different from the cobs I made using less "harsh" conditions. Looking forward to seeing the difference. So many variables to play with! Wish I'd started this adventure years ago; Well, that's not strictly true. Many many years ago, when I was but a young chap, I came across a article in a book somewhere that talked about fermented weed. This was in the days before the internet and information on such things in the UK was scarce. I made a small cob using a toilet roll tube, heat and time, no vacuum. It worked well and I decided to use about 9 oz of some outdoor weed I had grown. Unfortunately that went moldy and that was the end of those experiments. The article didn't mention eating as far as I recall, but the small one I made smoked really nice, but nothing like the ones that I'm making now using proper strong, ripe weed, grown under the intense Spanish sunshine.

Trela881

A steep learning curve for you my friend one of the most important parameters is moisture content better to try too dry and work backwards.
Its easy once you know the limits of moisture contents that work its quite a wide range but too moist always makes for a dark stinky mess thats not attractive.
It should still get you high because the resin will still be there unchanged to a large extent.

Check out this cob I made a few years ago with some Panama I revegged from a good plant. It was attacked by white fly so I had to take it a few weeks early.
I put the cob in my car parked in the hot sun for a week as I forgot it was there.
When I opened it it was a dark chocolate colour and not very pleasant smelling. I dried it out and a more pleasant smell returned.
After a week of being dry I tried half a gram not expecting much boy was I in for a surprise I got so high I got lost in my own house walking from the kitchen to the laundry ha ha.
I thought where the F---K am I ha ha.
It was potent trip I was seeing things moving in my peripheral vision and hearing strange sounds it was very potent. I still have some sealed up its about 7 years old now.

Incredible! I also have exactly the same cob in size and appearance with a sour smell, mixed with THAI X PAN, GT and SMH. Yesterday I discovered that my herbs can still sweat to some degree today (I like to keep them to keep them a little juicy). My problem is that I do not have other corn peels, I only have the ones that are open but they do not have pleasant smells so I did not think they were the most suitable.

Trela881

By way of comparison here is a slice off of a Purple Honduras x Panama cob from a couple of years ago after only 2 weeks cure at 30c after 6 hours at 40c sweating.
I dried the cobs after 2 weeks cure and started the aging as the test was euphoric and very terpy amazing smells like old Nepalese temple hash.
Nothing is set in stone you have to use yoyr nose and sense of smell to guide you to the best stages of every step of the way.

My good cobs are in these shades. :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Looks like a dog turd! I have one similar that I made the other week with some 24hr dried New Caledonia, 6hrs sweat at 40c, dry and then 5 days at 30c. When I took it out after the 5 days at 30, the smell wasn't particularly nice but the ferment smell was present also. Now it's bee drying for several days the unpleasant smell is fading and it is developing a sweet smell, but very different from the cobs I made using less "harsh" conditions. Looking forward to seeing the difference. So many variables to play with! Wish I'd started this adventure years ago; Well, that's not strictly true. Many many years ago, when I was but a young chap, I came across a article in a book somewhere that talked about fermented weed. This was in the days before the internet and information on such things in the UK was scarce. I made a small cob using a toilet roll tube, heat and time, no vacuum. It worked well and I decided to use about 9 oz of some outdoor weed I had grown. Unfortunately that went moldy and that was the end of those experiments. The article didn't mention eating as far as I recall, but the small one I made smoked really nice, but nothing like the ones that I'm making now using proper strong, ripe weed, grown under the intense Spanish sunshine.

Yes that is what I thought on opening it ha ha.
Also you are right on the strength and quality of the weed you use to make them it wont make weak weed strong only improve its smoking.
Using the best strongest weed is the ONLY way to get high and if its sun grown in a GOOD climate just makes it even better.
The high from my outdoor grown weed compared to my indoor grown weed of the same clone is like two different plants.
I get more resin coverage indoor but the outdoor wins hands down for the quality of the high.

I met African gentlemen in Malawi and Zimbabwe who used to eat the cured buds rather than smoke them but I was a weed smoker then so disregarded their advise at the time.
I wish I had been more open minded but as a youth I was very head strong in my beliefs.
I used to share acid with my African friends together we had a ball looking for the strongest cobs we could find using the acid trips as a reference.
If the smoke didn't change your day it was crap and disregarded.

Tangwena

Veteran
My good cobs are in these shades. :)

Then your on a winner my friend, also try stopping the ferment a week before they get amalgamated like that so they remain looser its another great cure.
Dont worry about the maize wrappers either you can get great results using a compacted brick or cob straight in the vac bag.
The maize wrapper or banana bark are just the traditional wrappers and of course add a subtle flavor of their own.

Once they have finished fermentation drying and aging are the next critical steps in getting them home.
Correct timing of the drying and correct length of aging vary by the type of buds and type of finish you want only experience will tell you that.
Hence the need to open sniff and try the cobs regularly until your happy with the result.
Once your into this method of curing its a lifelong part all you need is more strong buds to play with ha ha.

Trela881

Okay so at the moment there are many different cobs where each one is checked and I cut small samples in the middle to look at each case differently.
There is so much I have done and I continue to prepare that I will lose control. I think this year was a big challenge to tame these tropical plants outdoors but I think it was worth the effort and risk to get that quality. :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking great brother from the radical colour change in the pic next time I would suggest halving the sweat time also drying it 90% now as it does not need any further curing.
Its just a suggestion please feel free to do as you wish, but it looks done to me if it also smells great it is def done you COULD go straight to the aging process from here still storing in a warm place of course.
GT is a trip cured this way Alice in wonderland here we come ha ha. Nice work my friend.

0x942

Looking great brother from the radical colour change in the pic next time I would suggest halving the sweat time also drying it 90% now as it does not need any further curing.
Its just a suggestion please feel free to do as you wish, but it looks done to me if it also smells great it is def done you COULD go straight to the aging process from here still storing in a warm place of course.
GT is a trip cured this way Alice in wonderland here we come ha ha. Nice work my friend.

Wow! really ? Nice, i'll follow your suggestion and dry them today ! It's true that the smell is indeed really good already and it came faster than the previous COBs i've made.
I wonder why the process could have been quicker this time, magic !

Alice in wonderland is a place i would like to go soon, lot of hopes in this GT cobs :smokey::joint:

alice-cat.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Wow! really ? Nice, i'll follow your suggestion and dry them today ! It's true that the smell is indeed really good already and it came faster than the previous COBs i've made.
I wonder why the process could have been quicker this time, magic !

Alice in wonderland is a place i would like to go soon, lot of hopes in this GT cobs :smokey::joint:

Thats why I keep saying there is no cast iron recipe that works for every type of bud.
Even plants of the same strain can present differently once you start the process, it cant be done on auto it needs human controls.
A master curer is like a master wine maker even more so.
If your good at this your work will be like works of art one off's. Each harvest even of the same strain is different each time and unique.
Older cured cobs are collectables and rare if they are well made and cured well, each crop produces gems unique in every way.
There are too many variables in the process beginning of course with the farmer and the seasons.

alice-cat.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	alice-cat.jpg Views:	9 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	18007111

Scottay

Hey friends, neighbors and Growmies/Gromettes. I just have a question about dosing when eating/chewing. What would you consider a light dose and what dose would make you talk to the universe??? Happy growing folks!!! 😎✌️

Latest posts

Latest posts