What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
An update on the Zamaldelica cobs that i made 9 days ago (i think?). They've now had 8 days fermenting at around 30c or so.

The only difference between them is that the one on the left(and last photo also) had a 14 sweat and the one on the right( second photo) had a 24hr sweat. They're twin sisters will stay in fermetation for a bit longer yet. ?Tangwena, How long would you go, 3 weeks perhaps?, just to get a pronounced difference.

The smell of the two cobs is simalar but there are subtle difference. The 4 of us who smelt them this morning were all drooling.

So these guys will dry for some time before being sealed up to cure. Tangwena, am i correct in thinking to open them durring the month cure and smell when they're done, or just go the month and leave them to it? TBH the smell now is more than good and it's hard to believe that it could improve.

Many thanks.

Edit. Please ignore the fact that on the first picture, the writing on the right hand bag says 24hr sweat at 35c, it did in fact sweat at 43c, as did all the others. The 24hr bit is correct though.

Very nice work brother your really gifted at this game.
The Zamaldelica is an amazing smell cobbed and those look like they are are perfect for this stage of the cure.
Experimenting with times ect is where its at as everyone of us has a different taste so go for it you cant go wrong from here.
3 to 4 weeks is the optimal time vacuum sealed to finish the cure IMO. Opening to check it during this time and even further drying if needed is how you get where you want to go.
I have Zamaldelica cobs that are 3 years old sealed up and although the smell gets less as you dry them smell doesn't get you high on its own its the changes that occur over this period that cement the effects.
Like I said everyone is different if the aroma is your priority or a combination of aroma and effect is what your after the only way you will find out is opening and sampling the cob at regular intervals.
Just keep good notes on how each was done dont rely on your memory ha ha.
Your going to find all the plants you have grown will have excellent very different highs cobbed. Zamaldelica is a very powerful trippy high great for running amuck and letting your mind roam free ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Thanks for the insights.
Unfortunately I don't have anything to measure the humidity. I've never had aything to measure humidity and TBH don't really get what all the fuss is about. I've managed for over 35 yrs without one and always gone what i think/feel. I really appreciate the insights regarding the percentages and am sure it makes for a sure fire way of doing things, but for me, i shall stick with "how it feel/seems/is", also i don't like spending money on stuff if i can help it. I have many many harvests under my belt but continue to learn about our favorite herb every day; even more so since i discovered this thread.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tomorrow we will be cobbing up the second half of our outdoor Panama plant (2 days hanging up drying). I would say that the second half of the plant (taken 16 days after the first) is about 30% amber and will produce a much more potent hit. I'll be posting pictures as we go, as well as trying a few varriables with the cobs i make. I'm tempted to let a small amout of the weed dry to jar curring stage before cobbing it and letting it "cook" for a lot longer: What do you think?

Sounds like a great plan you will quickly find out how you prefer your weed cured and yours will be a unique method. This is where you can excel at your craft its not easy to copy someones technique there is too much feeling and timing involved its not a strict formula you have to use your experience and senses of touch and smell.
From what I see you have it in spades.
Drying the buds more is also good it just takes the changes longer to occur, but can result in some amazingly terpy golden cures.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Thanks Brother for reassurring me of what i guess i already know, just use my intutiton.
Yesterday, we all ate a little Panama cob that had finshed fermentation and been put into the cure a few days earlier, just as an experiement. It was ok but had no real power. Today we all ate the same dose of some Panama haze cob that was a year old and were all triping. Interestingly the cob we ate today was made from some sub standard weed ( 4 hrs a day direct sunlight and chopped early; not my grow.), but the fresh cob we ate yesterday was made from prime quality bud. TBH, I didn't expect much from the fresh cob and expect it to be far superior to the one made from the sub standard weed once it's curred for some time. we ate it more as an experiement, rather than to get high (although that was also that was part of the plan, if i'm honest). Our daughter is here for another 5 day's; I wonder what other fiendish ways I can find to get her completly wasted

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Brother for reassurring me of what i guess i already know, just use my intutiton.
Yesterday, we all ate a little Panama cob that had finshed fermentation and been put into the cure a few days earlier, just as an experiement. It was ok but had no real power. Today we all ate the same dose of some Panama haze cob that was a year old and were all triping. Interestingly the cob we ate today was made from some sub standard weed ( 4 hrs a day direct sunlight and chopped early; not my grow.), but the fresh cob we ate yesterday was made from prime quality bud. TBH, I didn't expect much from the fresh cob and expect it to be far superior to the one made from the sub standard weed once it's curred for some time. we ate it more as an experiement, rather than to get high (although that was also that was part of the plan, if i'm honest). Our daughter is here for another 5 day's; I wonder what other fiendish ways I can find to get her completly wasted

Yes a mistake I made many moons ago with some GT after a few weeks cure it was heavy stoned and uninteresting I gave most of it away ha ha.
6 months aging and BAM! I'm down the rabbit hole talking to Alice and her rabbit ha ha.
I have never made that mistake again ha ha.

Its ok to smoke it now but for chewing give it a least 6 to 9 months you wont believe what happens.
Panama is at least as strong as GT chewed once its aged, but of course a trippy magic carpet ride instead of a Disneyland adventure ha ha.
From the look of your cobs they will be dynamite just be patient.
I know its hard especially when they smell so darned good.
Stinky cobs are nice for the olfactory senses but stink doesn't get you high, its those little crystals of brown sugar you get from aging that trip you out ha ha.
AND Getting high is always part of your plan unless I'm sorely mistaken ha ha.
Dont worry time will turn those cobs into gold brother I have no doubt.

skillz

Hi - I would like to give this a go but am still unclear with exact process:

1. Wrap weed in corn husk - vacuum seal
2. 'Ferment' in yogurt machine for 12 hours

here is where i'm unclear
3. remove cob and dry to 80% - - does this mean remove the corn husk or simply remove the cob from the vacuum bag?

I have some nice haze that has just gone into jars for curing .. still a bit moist.. I'm hoping this is still suitable

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi - I would like to give this a go but am still unclear with exact process:

1. Wrap weed in corn husk - vacuum seal
2. 'Ferment' in yogurt machine for 12 hours

here is where i'm unclear
3. remove cob and dry to 80% - - does this mean remove the corn husk or simply remove the cob from the vacuum bag?

I have some nice haze that has just gone into jars for curing .. still a bit moist.. I'm hoping this is still suitable

Best to not use the corn husk for the first few goes, as it makes it easier to pick the color changes.
You really dont need the husk or any other wrapper its just traditional. I dont think it adds anything specific to the cure.
The vacuum bags do the same job as the corn husk.
With haze type buds try sweating for 6 hrs at 40c and then keep the cobs in the bag unopened for 4 or 5 days at 30c you should start to see the colors change around day 3 or 4.
Then remove and touch dry weekly for a month resealing after each drying should get you a nice cure but use your nose and eyes as every cure is different dont over ferment try to keep the sweet smells.

skillz

thank you Tangwena - your passion for this process and support to everyone who comes to you for guidance is really touching! I am trying to locate our family yogurt machine - I'm afraid I won't get it in time for these buds ... It seems this is mainly used for sativa / trip weed - is it still worth doing with indica / stoney weed? has anyone experimented with mixing indica / sativa in the same cob? I like to smoke my weed 'mixed' sometimes... seems like the possibilities are endless!

Also - how is the cob traditionally consumed? and how are most of you guys using it? I've read about people chewing and smoking it.... but how are you smoking it? Joint? Pipe/bong? it seems like it wouldn't burn/roll well in a joint but I haven't ever experienced it... and what about eating it? is the fermentation process decarboxylating the herb? it seems like some people are not getting the effects when eating/chewing

thanks again Tangwena!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
It'll crumble ito a spliff or vape without problem and is a very smooth and tasty smoke. Because of the compression, it it's easy to put a lot in without releasing it; Until you smoke it. If you really want to experience it's full effects then you eat it. If your a fairly light wieght then .1g will be sufficient to get you flying for many hours, ie less than most put in a splff! Make no mistake, this stuff is extrordinary! As a 47yr smoker and a grower for over 30, most of this years harvest is going into cobs.

Tangwena

Veteran
It'll crumble ito a spliff or vape without problem and is a very smooth and tasty smoke. Because of the compression, it it's easy to put a lot in without releasing it; Until you smoke it. If you really want to experience it's full effects then you eat it. If your a fairly light wieght then .1g will be sufficient to get you flying for many hours, ie less than most put in a splff! Make no mistake, this stuff is extrordinary! As a 47yr smoker and a grower for over 30, most of this years harvest is going into cobs.

I can see you are fully converted my friend thats great, your cobs look amazing as do your plants.
Your growing skills are carrying over to your curing skills very easily.

I am blown away by your pics of both plants and cures. I just wish we were close I know we would have a lot of fun ha ha.
If I ever get to Spain again I will def look you up, the last time I was there was 10 years ago and I loved it.
I can see why you live there its a great climate with beautiful people and scenery.

The last few months I have been on mood altering pills after a very bad reaction to the first covid shot it really screwed with my brain.
I have ditched the pills as of 2 days ago and am back on the cobs. I really didn't think I would ever get high again as the pills stopped me getting high.
Now I'm happy and tripped out all day again and guess what?
Life is beautiful once again thank God for the herb it makes me feel alive, those pills I was on made life so boring ha ha.
Keep up the good work brother I'm loving your posts the plants and cobs make me very envious ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
interesting -- so it's eaten as well in malawi?

I think I may be one of these people that is immune to edibles.. I don't think I've ever felt anything... haven't tried any of the american edibles though... ( https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05...h-eating-marijuana-scientists-arent-sure-why/ )

If you dont get a kick from the pot you have change the pot my friend.
The right pot grown properly and cured properly will get anyone high if its not working its because something is wrong with it.
Re Malawi most people smoke it cob cured, its mainly the medicine men and witches that eat it or use it in cooking.
Because it lasts all day and the right plant in the correct amount will have you believing in anything and seeing and feeling things you cant see straight ha ha.
Nobody is immune to edibles you may have a high tolerance or most likely just the wrong weed.
What strains do you use any pics? A picture paints a thousand words my friend.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Old Hippie style. Were we live, we have a lot of old and not so old hippies; Even a few Rainbow tribe live in these part's. I have slight leaning that way myself, if I'm honest.

This mornig Mrs Del Monte took 0.08g of 1yr old Panama haze cob and has had a lovely happy productive day. I'm looking forward to taking Medicine man doses once this years harvest have all curred.

Im really sorry to hear about your mis adventure with the poison shot and i'm glad to hear that you've been able to ditch the nasty mood altering pills and are once again able to enjoy the phenominal high's that only eating cobs can produce; though Acid, Shrooms and Ayahuasca are good also, lol.

Tangwena

Veteran
Old Hippie style. Were we live, we have a lot of old and not so old hippies; Even a few Rainbow tribe live in these part's. I have slight leaning that way myself, if I'm honest.

This mornig Mrs Del Monte took 0.08g of 1yr old Panama haze cob and has had a lovely happy productive day. I'm looking forward to taking Medicine man doses once this years harvest have all curred.

Im really sorry to hear about your mis adventure with the poison shot and i'm glad to hear that you've been able to ditch the nasty mood altering pills and are once again able to enjoy the phenominal high's that only eating cobs can produce; though Acid, Shrooms and Ayahuasca are good also, lol.

With you on the acid I haven't tried the others though never even got tempted ha ha.
Love the LSD though many many good trips on the golden gate drug ha ha.
Thank you for the kind thoughts I am getting better by the day now I'm back on the one and only drug for me ha ha.

I have some seeds gifted by Mad Mac a few years ago Aces Panama x THHaze I'm def giving them a run soon. I also have Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger crossed to THHaze but its the Panama cross that has my interest the highs should work well together.

The only upside to the pills is my system is really cleaned out of cannabis now. My mind is free to delve deeply into the highs from the cobs.
Some of the mind wondering trips while surfing the waves that come on from a good dose are the things of dreams so pure and sweet.
There is nothing sweeter in a high than just closing my eyes and letting go. When I return after a few minutes surfing the wave I'm so freeking high its unbelievable I live for that rush ha ha.

Those fine plants you grew this year and the well aged cobs will give you a cellar full of fantasy trips brother all those strains you have will be something very special. I dont think there is better weed on the planet def on the internet planet ha ha.
Next year you will have the key to the universe use it wisely, now you are a member of the brotherhood of the cob your job is to turn on other deserving people.
Its not for everyone but for those who appreciate its gift its a golden gift.

Tangwena

Veteran
SUMMARY
Making Black Cavendish
Steam some bud until it is black.
Press it into a cake.
Slice the press cake.
Rub-out the flake.
Dry then store.

Hi my friend I had to google it but cavendish curing is very similar in some but not all aspects of the cure.
Tobacco has been cured for years just like cannabis, its just that as cannabis was illegal and so very hush hush in the past the art was ignored and forgotten by most people.
There are at least 6 different cures for cannabis that I am familiar with and I am sure many more I am not.
Its a crazy hazy world of curing and one its easy to get addicted to.
We are lucky on this forum to have so many who love this art and are generous with time posting their own unique cures i love seeing all the wonderful pics.
There is something very trippy about the cured buds chewed. I know I cant exist without my daily visit to Alice in Wonderland, lifes too straight without it.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Well, today Mrs DM and myself decieded to try out a little of the Panama cob that i made about 5 weeks ago, so still very fresh. Mrs DM took 0.11g and I took 0.75g. We then decieded that we should leave our mountain retreat and drive down to the coast to get supplies. We could both feel the young cob working before we left. Just as we were about to leave i heard a voice in my head say "Don't forget to take your phone in case you break down". I don't often take my phone with me, I don't like the fact that they ring!(I grow up i a time when not everyone had a landline!), but my wife always has her's with her although her's is still an English number, whereas mine is Spanish and has all our Spanish numbers in .
So we're about half way down from the moutains to the coast, when i deciede to get some fuel. I always get fuel from this garage if i go that way. Well, today for some strange reason the lady attendant put diesel in my petrol jeep! By now we're both coming up strongly despite the cob being fresh. I'd gotten about 100m for the garage when the mistake revealed itself. Good job I've got my phone!.
I called my recovery service and we sat at the side of the road wacthing the mountains sway and saying how beautiful the countryside was. I then thought "it won't be long before the poice make an appearance and no sooner I'd thought it, there they were. Niether mine, nor my wifes Spanish is particullay good and niether did we have our Hi Viz vests with us. I'm almost tripping but able to pull out some Spanish and after checking that we were ok, they wished us Hasta Luego. Cool.
So we sit a bit longer and i think to myself " five cars will pass from the left and then the pickup guy will be here. Five cars passed by from the left and just after the last car passed, the pick up man appeared on the other side of the road. Despite my poor Spanish the driver and i were laughing and joking with each other, especially as we drove through our town/village, as eveyone recognises our car, I'm hiding behind my jacket and the driver is waiving at the locals!. We got to my mechanic, who just happens to be my best mate (handy!), had a lovely chat with him and his wife, a bite to eat and a couple of spliffs on top.
All in all, a lovely adventure!, Still got to go and get the shopping tomorrow though!

What am i trying to say here? i'm not sure.

Even the young cob is good.
Despite it being strong, i was able to pull myself together, as was Mrs DM, when we had to.
Always listen to your instincts. I think that the cob effect does take one closer to our hgher selves/senses (in my case i'm finding the more i meditate, practice tai chi and yoga, the more i get premonitions.
Your perspective of your situation effects how it effects you. ie, we could have been pissed off, but the cob helped us to have a adventure and meet a relly nice pick up guy and see our friends unexpectidly.

as you can tell by the above, i'm still nicely high from the cob. The cob doesn't have the same potency as well maturred but the early test bodes really well.

Tangwena

Veteran
Brother when those cobs are aged you will be able to read their minds. I kid you not your so tuned in to everything you pick up on facial expressions and small changes in body language that tell you more than words ever could.
And their eyes are like windows to their souls. So many times I have made women blush while looking into their eyes, you will see my friend use the power wisely ha ha.
What you are experiencing is just the beginning its why I cant live without that feeling of bliss and love for nature.
Keep testing all the cobs regularly say once a month, you will love the changes as the highs deepen and expand.
You will be new people this time next year. As I tell my friends, better people the people you would rather be, your lucky my friend life will get so much more interesting from here on.