What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm even more excited after your description. I'm so glad to be retired and able to enjoy triping out on cobs and not really give a fuck about much. These last few weeks have difficult; we have many weed robbers in the area at this time of year and Mrs del Monte and I take it in turns to leave the house! No beach for us currently, despite lovely 28c day time temps. By the end of this month we should be safe as people don't expect plants to still be going in Nov and after.

Amen to that brother when people tell me they dont know what to do with themselves in retirement. I just say "get a hobby". I am never stuck wondering what do next just which cob I will sample today the rest is in the hands of nirvana ha ha.
The plants you have grown this year will give you so much bliss you will think you are living forever in never never land, isn't life beautiful?
Every day its a new trip into the garden of Eden, its a beautiful world we live in and your right in the middle of a beautiful part of it, mountains, beaches and beautiful friends what more can you ask.

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's some cool curing by a very good friend and fellow cobbelero some THH x Z99 a cross made by a couple of members here.
What the green fresh buds looked like and the sticky sweet result of the cob magic he weaves.

gm12.jpg
gm22.jpg
gm23.jpg

Punsnroses420

Hello, newbie here - I’m going to take my time and read the thread (I might cheat and take a look at pg 212 first...) but I’m unbelievably excited to find this thread. Recreating a Malawi cob and Thai stick are dreams of mine and it’s amazing to find people so focused an sativa style plants and their development. I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I’ve been trying to figure out the curing quality that brings the extreme effects out of the original late 60s early 70s version of a Thai stick. I felt like I was hit by lightning when I saw someone’s report on their cob-making and realized that if cured in much the same way as a cob, it could totally be possible to bring out the Thai or Vietnamese potency via that fermentation process. Could I ask if someone might have some idea of me being on the right track? And if so, has anyone tried making a stick and cob out of the same plant and been able to compare the experience? A Malawi stick or Thai cob sounds incredibly fun and interesting to test

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello, newbie here - I’m going to take my time and read the thread (I might cheat and take a look at pg 212 first...) but I’m unbelievably excited to find this thread. Recreating a Malawi cob and Thai stick are dreams of mine and it’s amazing to find people so focused an sativa style plants and their development. I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I’ve been trying to figure out the curing quality that brings the extreme effects out of the original late 60s early 70s version of a Thai stick. I felt like I was hit by lightning when I saw someone’s report on their cob-making and realized that if cured in much the same way as a cob, it could totally be possible to bring out the Thai or Vietnamese potency via that fermentation process. Could I ask if someone might have some idea of me being on the right track? And if so, has anyone tried making a stick and cob out of the same plant and been able to compare the experience? A Malawi stick or Thai cob sounds incredibly fun and interesting to test

Hi there good on you for giving it a go.
First up you need good pot grown and harvested well. The Thai buds in the Thai sticks were very strong to begin with as were the buds used in the traditional Malawi cobs or at least in the good ones.
The process itself will not make weak pot strong. But will turn strong pot into mellow easy smoking pot with a more mature and longer lasting effect if done properly.
I'm not trying to put you off just making sure you understand the limitations the quality of the pot used has on the end product.
If you have a strong plant that you like the high of thats a good place to start as if you cure it properly you will find you will like it even more.

Here are some pics of some cobs I sealed up in July.
Pics were taken after drying and they are now resealed to age.
The smells range from sweet honey lime and pine in the lighter cobs to menthol lime in the darker cobs.
They were all Mulanje or Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian plants and the colors are from varying lengths of sweating.

img_2214-web.jpg
img_2213 (2)-web.jpg
img_2237 (2)-web.jpg
img_2237-web.jpg
img_2240-web.jpg

Mallitlahuani

Hi there good on you for giving it a go.
First up you need good pot grown and harvested well. The Thai buds in the Thai sticks were very strong to begin with as were the buds used in the traditional Malawi cobs or at least in the good ones.
The process itself will not make weak pot strong. But will turn strong pot into mellow easy smoking pot with a more mature and longer lasting effect if done properly.
I'm not trying to put you off just making sure you understand the limitations the quality of the pot used has on the end product.
If you have a strong plant that you like the high of thats a good place to start as if you cure it properly you will find you will like it even more.

Here are some pics of some cobs I sealed up in July.
Pics were taken after drying and they are now resealed to age.
The smells range from sweet honey lime and pine in the lighter cobs to menthol lime in the darker cobs.
They were all Mulanje or Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian plants and the colors are from varying lengths of sweating.

where do you get seeds for the Mulanje? I got MalawixEthiopia going right now but I can’t help but feel like that Mulanje adds something special

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
On Saturday just gone, Mrs Del Mote and myself harvested our little Zamaldelecia, it was 50% amber, so could have gone a little longer, but no worries.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000195.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	17974650

After 2 days of hanging I took most of it today and we completly removed any stalk.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000195.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	17974650

We ended up with 143g of nicely cleaned up bud. this was divided into 4 roughly equal cobs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0820.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	17974652

I also took 4 prime quality colas and stuck them in a bag to try a slightly different cure.

These guys will all go into the dehydrator at 10pm this evening and this will allow me to take 2 out tomorrow at 10am (12hr sweat) and the other 2 out at 10pm tomorrow evening, giving me 2 lots with different sweat times. My intention the is to give one from each batch a different ferment time but the same time length as its sister from the other batch.

Also today i decieded to take out of the ferment one of my 3 Panama cobs; It'd been fermenting for 5 days and smells really sweet and fruity. I sat for quite some time just sniffing it deeply!
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0820.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	17974652

It's a shame that the light conditions are not quite as bright as when i took the photos of them 5 days ago. This cob will dry on top of my Amplifier overnight (hopefully long enough) before getting sealed up again for the cure. The other 2 cobs from this batch will get taken out of the ferment at differing times.

Last Autumn, I introduced some young grower friends to Sativas and the idea of cobbing, and together we made them 2 nice Panama Haze cobs. They had to go out of the country for a year and left me the cobs to ferment etc. Last week they came back and i gave them their now 11month old cobs. This weekend they took their first trip.We have 2 very happy youig friends! They could't believe the difference. They also very kidly left me a nice chunk that Mrs DM and myself shall be trying tomorrow. Happy daze!

Last edited:

Punsnroses420

Perfect, thanks Tangwena! I have some Malawi Gold and Lao Gold I’d love to open pollinate and pheno hunt through in a few months when I’ve built more space for the project, but there’s a strain called Golden Tiger that’s been whispering to me before I even knew how cool of a genetic background it really has. The work and research you guys put into this is incredible and really has me excited to try cobbing myself

Tangwena

Veteran
On Saturday just gone, Mrs Del Mote and myself harvested our little Zamaldelecia, it was 50% amber, so could have gone a little longer, but no worries.

After 2 days of hanging I took most of it today and we completly removed any stalk.

We ended up with 143g of nicely cleaned up bud. this was divided into 4 roughly equal cobs.

I also took 4 prime quality colas and stuck them in a bag to try a slightly different cure.

These guys will all go into the dehydrator at 10pm this evening and this will allow me to take 2 out tomorrow at 10am (12hr sweat) and the other 2 out at 10pm tomorrow evening, giving me 2 lots with different sweat times. My intention the is to give one from each batch a different ferment time but the same time length as its sister from the other batch.

Also today i decieded to take out of the ferment one of my 3 Panama cobs; It'd been fermenting for 5 days and smells really sweet and fruity. I sat for quite some time just sniffing it deeply!

It's a shame that the light conditions are not quite as bright as when i took the photos of them 5 days ago. This cob will dry on top of my Amplifier overnight (hopefully long enough) before getting sealed up again for the cure. The other 2 cobs from this batch will get taken out of the ferment at differing times.

Last Autumn, I introduced some young grower friends to Sativas and the idea of cobbing, and together we made them 2 nice Panama Haze cobs. They had to go out of the country for a year and left me the cobs to ferment etc. Last week they came back and i gave them their now 11month old cobs. This weekend they took their first trip.We have 2 very happy youig friends! They could't believe the difference. They also very kidly left me a nice chunk that Mrs DM and myself shall be trying tomorrow. Happy daze!

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed explanation of your plans brother.
Its detail like this that helps others myself included to further our understanding of the potential of this cure bless you my friend.
Your documentation is gold to me and the work you do is priceless.
That Panama cob is going to be exceptional as will all your other cobs I am sure. I feel blessed to be amongst such cool people on this forum.
Keep the information coming it will act as a reference in the future of that I am sure.

Tangwena

Veteran
Perfect, thanks Tangwena! I have some Malawi Gold and Lao Gold I’d love to open pollinate and pheno hunt through in a few months when I’ve built more space for the project, but there’s a strain called Golden Tiger that’s been whispering to me before I even knew how cool of a genetic background it really has. The work and research you guys put into this is incredible and really has me excited to try cobbing myself

That sounds like a beautiful cross, if you get some Golden Tiger as well you will be able to mix and match.
You will be playing with some of the most powerful genetics on the planet you cant go wrong.

Tangwena

Veteran
July 2020 harvest.
Some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian aged cob cured buds and a cob of the same gear.
The looser canary buds are perfect for smoking smooth, long and slow.
They have a very tasty menthol/sandalwood aroma and another very special smell unique to well cured cobs in Malawi.
This is like ready rubbed pipe tobacco in its looks and feel and would make the smoothest tripping pin size joints I'm sure.
2 or 3 draggs and your off and running, insane in the brain what more could a pot head ask for ha ha.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_2256-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	17976644
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_2248-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	17976645
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_2246-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	17976646

Tangwena

Veteran
man that mulanje looks amazing, is the color so red because of the resin becoming red or is it the pestioles? its hard to tell

Its both and how its cured sometimes I get neon red resin along with the gold it makes me want to harvest the red drops and just put them on my tongue to dissolve my mind ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
An update on the Zamaldelica cobs that i made 9 days ago (i think?). They've now had 8 days fermenting at around 30c or so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000196.JPG Views:	8 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	17980711
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000197.JPG Views:	8 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	17980712
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000198.JPG Views:	8 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	17980713

The only difference between them is that the one on the left(and last photo also) had a 14 sweat and the one on the right( second photo) had a 24hr sweat. They're twin sisters will stay in fermetation for a bit longer yet. ?Tangwena, How long would you go, 3 weeks perhaps?, just to get a pronounced difference.

The smell of the two cobs is simalar but there are subtle difference. The 4 of us who smelt them this morning were all drooling.

So these guys will dry for some time before being sealed up to cure. Tangwena, am i correct in thinking to open them durring the month cure and smell when they're done, or just go the month and leave them to it? TBH the smell now is more than good and it's hard to believe that it could improve.

Many thanks.

Edit. Please ignore the fact that on the first picture, the writing on the right hand bag says 24hr sweat at 35c, it did in fact sweat at 43c, as did all the others. The 24hr bit is correct though.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Tomorrow we will be cobbing up the second half of our outdoor Panama plant (2 days hanging up drying). I would say that the second half of the plant (taken 16 days after the first) is about 30% amber and will produce a much more potent hit. I'll be posting pictures as we go, as well as trying a few varriables with the cobs i make. I'm tempted to let a small amout of the weed dry to jar curring stage before cobbing it and letting it "cook" for a lot longer: What do you think?

Mallitlahuani

Tomorrow we will be cobbing up the second half of our outdoor Panama plant (2 days hanging up drying). I would say that the second half of the plant (taken 16 days after the first) is about 30% amber and will produce a much more potent hit. I'll be posting pictures as we go, as well as trying a few varriables with the cobs i make. I'm tempted to let a small amout of the weed dry to jar curring stage before cobbing it and letting it "cook" for a lot longer: What do you think?

the first cob i made was with some weed that i had dried too much so i left it in a jar while i read about cobs and how to make them, when i did make the cob with this weed, which was not much, i used a fresh corn husk still green and moist. The juices from the fresh corn husk got into the bud and humidified it but completely changed the smell and gave it a very strong briny overtone, after drying and aging the high was fantastic though. im not saying you should use fresh corn husks but jarring and then cobbing the weed does work if it still retains obove 70 percent or so humidity. mine was 76% to 78% humidity when i cobbed it, when i first put it in the jar it was reading 67.5% for a long time so i was worried and tried sweating it in the jar without a vacum as i didn't have the machine at the time, doing this brought the humidity up

Latest posts

Latest posts