What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

midwestkid

Veteran
Thanks for the guidance Tang.

I think this train is already in motion. And I will continue trying to learn from this.

since you think this flower was a tad to wet (definitely a possibility) - next time I think I will error on the drier side with the bud.

i will post some pictures next week.

midwestkid

Veteran
On second thought...
after reading what you wrote I figured I should pull them out and dry them over night?
anyways, here they are. A thru E from left to right
20211006_204302.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
On second thought...
after reading what you wrote I figured I should pull them out and dry them over night?
anyways, here they are. A thru E from left to right

Now thata more like it much better colors still carry on the same regime I posted above though.
But with better lighting the real color is shown and more what I would have expected.
They should progress well from here.

Hi [FONT=&quot]Tangwena, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]longtime fan,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I followed your foot steps but I think i made it wrong :)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1- [/FONT]1- Dried 24 hrs (room humidity was extremely low) Trimmed all
[FONT=&quot]2- 2- [/FONT]Used plastic medicine tube (put baking sheet inside), filled and pressed with wood, 60gr each

[FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT]- Sealed them in vacuum bag and left them inside incubator with 40 °C (104 [FONT=&quot]?[/FONT]) 24 hrs.

[FONT=&quot]4- - [/FONT]No visible sweat, unsealed and wipe inside bag with paper towel.
[FONT=&quot]5- [/FONT]Re-vac and Left them in incubator 30 °C (86 [FONT=&quot]?[/FONT]) 10 days.

[FONT=&quot]6- - [/FONT]Unsealed 1 cob to check inside, it was smell spicy, still dark green and feel wet.

[FONT=&quot]7- [/FONT]Unsealed 1 pack full from cobs, other pack left with cob and let it dry 24 hrs
[FONT=&quot]8- - [/FONT]Felt like fermentation didn’t work and after 24 hrs dry, I vacuumed all in bag and left them in cool dark place.

I dried vacuum fermentation 10 yrs ago (without any knowledge about Malawi Cob style). No sweet smell like i remember.

Thank you for all knowledge you shared with us.
Appreciate if you can help.
(Apology for my primitive English)

Peace from Overseas!

Hey Hey Hey Mr. Tangwena it's me again.

Your Post #4362, Mr Bambo Mbudadenga says: "buds rolled up in banana bark into a cob, this needs to be very tight – the tighter the better." As you can see first picture, I used plastic medicine tube, pushed cannabis buds down with wood stick very thightly. And rolled in to a cob very tight. Is this good idea? Because mine stayed dark green very long time. Or maybe it was too think? This year I bought vacuum machine, tomorrow i will try it again :) Wish me luck.

Thank you for all good knowledge you guys share. CHEERS from overseas!

Peace!

Tangwena

Veteran
my apology Mr. Tangwena please ignore my message above. I found the answer. Big man dick size :) and if I can press it hard makes it better. :) Peace

Hi my friend good on you for giving it a try you dont need to press very tight to get it to sweat it will sweat even if its loose in a vacuum bag as long as it is moist enough.
The secret to getting a sweat is moisture content the buds need a certain amount of moisture in order to start the fermentation process.
If they are too dry they will still cure but may need up to 3 months sealed up and kept warm 36c or above.
It is best if they have no wrapper so you can see when they start to change color, once you see the yellow color coming they should smell nice and sweet and be ready for smoking.

Tangwena

Veteran
Took a little early Panama today, but hve left the rest to get proper amber. In 4 days time i'll be starting the first of this years cobs!

I would love to cure outdoor grown Panama it has the potential to be very very cruisy.
Everything I've grown outdoors is much more potent in the high department than the indoor.
Please post pics brother of the buds before, during and after the cure. Panama is an all time favorite of mine and can be overwhelmingly potent chewed or smoked after cob curing.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I found a small piece of Ethiopian cob a few weeks ago in bag in the bottom of a drawer. Must have been about 2+ years old. Had a smoke and it was great, really nice, changed a bit as old cobs do for the better. Anyway I went to bed and left it on the table. In the morning I got up and saw this thing on the floor that I thought was a dead cockroach, or insect (we get them big in the sub tropics). Promptly vacuumed it up and suddenly realised it was the cob! I must have knocked it off the table.
:shucks:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good evening to you all.

So, last friday the 15th, i decieded to take half of my outdoor Panama down. She was still putting up a few white pistalls and not yet showing any amber ;hoprfully it'l be more raccey and a little anxiety prevoking. The other half of the plant will continue (i hope) until she's showing all amber trichs.

It was hung up after trimming and yesterday morning (4 days), I took two thirds of it and Mrs del Monte and myself removed all the sticks whilst enjoying a coffee and a spliff in the autumn sunshine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000168.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	17970896
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000169.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	17970897
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000170.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	17970898

We ended up with 135g of buds. These were pressed tightly into baking paper tubes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000171.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	17970899
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000172.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	17970900
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000173.JPG Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	17970901
Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000174.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	17970902

Packed into vaccum bags and put in the dehydrator at 43c.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000175.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	17970903

This morning all the bags had blown up a little and a few drops of moisture were visible, so out of the bags they came (23hrs at 43c). Fuck! The smell's already amazzing. A hash only friend was visiting this morning and he was excited too! Mrs Del Monte came back from shopping a had a smell (she doesn't have a good sense of smell) and said "Wow!"

Click image for larger version  Name:	S6000177.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	17970904

They have darkend somewhat, But the smell!.

They were dried for a couple of hours in the dehydrator before being sealed up again and stuck on top of my amp, where they will stay for a few days before inspectinng agian.
My intention is to take them out of the fementation at differing times and hopefully get to experiment with different effects.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Beautiful brother love those buds, with you on the Panama smell. Next time you open the bags make sure you are sitting down brother its Gods own herb cobbed get ready for your wings ha ha.
The first time I tried Panama cobbed I had to pull over on the freeway my mind was flying to California as a Beach Boys song was on the radio WOW! that was one potent trip.
No kidding it gets very very strong your going to go crazy for it, it has it all taste, smell and what a smell and kick ass tripping high chewed.
The late picked will wipe you out I'm sure in the best kind of way Mick Jagger lips that stick together as you struggle to form words ha ha keep me posted brother.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Beautiful brother love those buds, with you on the Panama smell. Next time you open the bags make sure you are sitting down brother its Gods own herb cobbed get ready for your wings ha ha.
The first time I tried Panama cobbed I had to pull over on the freeway my mind was flying to California as a Beach Boys song was on the radio WOW! that was one potent trip.
No kidding it gets very very strong your going to go crazy for it, it has it all taste, smell and what a smell and kick ass tripping high chewed.
The late picked will wipe you out I'm sure in the best kind of way Mick Jagger lips that stick together as you struggle to form words ha ha keep me posted brother.

I'm even more excited after your description. I'm so glad to be retired and able to enjoy triping out on cobs and not really give a fuck about much. These last few weeks have difficult; we have many weed robbers in the area at this time of year and Mrs del Monte and I take it in turns to leave the house! No beach for us currently, despite lovely 28c day time temps. By the end of this month we should be safe as people don't expect plants to still be going in Nov and after.

BigBlack

Dearest most wonderful of all: TANGWENA.
You gave the best process of curing, fermenting and storing.
Hindu Kush indica reported on above with pics.
Initial report seemed like it was weak.
Back into seal bag since i made that post, maybe 2 weeks ago.
After following drying instructions and resealing.
this indica for pain relief and sleep helping sick people ...

OMG. it's fantastic. kind of hard to describe. like there aren't english words or any words that give the proper description.

This is good proof for indica medical users that you can do this great process and get good results.

And when you get used to the ease and simplicity and flexibility of curing/preserving like this,
you can realize it's not as hard or involved as it seems.

It's very elegant in approach; like a sublime and subtle elegance yet powerpacked with what you want.

Thank you again!

Tangwena

Veteran
in the sun. i don't think you can see the sparkles and colors very well. bad camera. but this is latest. it's so great.

Thank you for the kind words brother it is truly magical seeing the sparkle on cobs I know the feeling well.
As they age it just gets like a sugar frosting and the true magic comes out.
So pleased your finding the medicinal effects pleasing and of some benefit to people in need.Keep experimenting with your techniques it will blow your mind what you can produce.