What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
This report on the Malawi Cob is a result of 30 years of “full blown research” by a Cannabis fanatic and friend of the Dagga Couple in Malawi called Mr Bambo Mbudadenga who wrote this very insightful piece for us:

Bambo Mbudadenga has known the Dagga Couple for many years and met with Jules and Myrtle in Malawi when they went tripping Africa in 2016. When Mbudadenga heard that Myrtle was in Malawi he immediately made a plan to meet with her on the shores of Lake Malawi to personally convey his condolences to Myrtle and the crew for the murder of Jules and discuss the issues with Cannabis (or Chamba as it is known in Malawi) in Africa.

Tracing the origins

One of the things they discussed was the Malawi Cob which is an old method of Cannabis packaging/storing/curing and transport that has been used by the inhabitants of this part of Africa for centuries or since there was ganja and bananas in that part of Africa, as banana bark is what they use to wrap the buds…( not sure which plant got to Africa first.)
The legendary Franco Loja came across fermented black Cannabis on the strain hunters Malawi Expedition, many years later he contacted Bambo Mbudadenga and asked him to try and find it again. Mbudadenga traveled the length and breadth of Malawi but failed to find the fermented weed or a genuine traditionally cured Cob. He discovered that the fame of the Malawi Gold Cobs had led to its demise, the huge demand for “Malawi Gold” has resulted in a market where any quality can easily be sold. The separation of males, strains and curing methods are no longer required and are all but forgotten. Whatever has a weed leaf in it can be sold, buyers from all over the region queue up before the buds have even matured.

Tourists looking for gold

The general quality of the weed is now like majat, full of seed and cobbed without curing, for sale to tourists looking for Malawi Gold. However during Mbudadenga’s search he accumulated a wealth of information on traditional curing methods, as he was forced to find the few remaining OGs of a bygone era who managed to survive the HIV pandemic that wiped out most of the OGs – as they had the extra bucks and the extra girlfriends way back when there was no cure.
All his findings and consultations were noted down and placed in a report for Franco, but before the report was ready to be sent Franco died of Malaria contracted in the Congo.
Bambo Mbudadenga in dedication, remembrance and gratitude to Jules and Franco chose to give Myrtle the unpublished report and additional research on the Malawi Cob and other traditional curing methods. He also sent someone in SA to the Hotbox show to deliver some Cobs to go with the report! Apparently they are not the real thing as they have not been cured in the traditional method, but they are the best he could organize at short notice.

Traditional practice

Back in the day when there were no plastic bags or tin roofs, dealing with the harvest, drying and keeping it mold free was a huge problem. So the tribes tried many different ways using naturally occurring and common materials in the tropical environment to ensure their bud was stored well and remained good to smoke.
In their quest for the perfect cure they discovered curing methods which would actually enhance the product, these discoveries were carefully developed over the ages and the result was the cob and specific curing methods using goats.
The ingenuity is mind blowing, the tribes really tried everything to ensure they were happily stoned and could continue smoking cured Chamba, beneficial to their health for as long as they pleased.
Mbudadenga reports that most of the OGs that provided the knowledge still smoked heavily and were as fit as mountain goats. The secret lies in the curing – they claim that they never smoke uncured/unfermented bud as it will make you cough and give you breathing problems. The traditional cob curing method ensures a smooth sweet smoke.
A microscopic inspection and smoke test of the fermented Cannabis shows that the trichomes have all melted and all the chlorophyll and acids have converted to sugars.

Malawi-1.jpg

Malawi-2.jpg

The procedure

The herb used to be grown till fully mature and dripping with resin. The fully ripe plants would be cut at the stem and either hung in a shed with a thatch roof, or if there was no shed, piled on a mat next to the field with a piece of cloth over the top when the sun is at its hottest. In some areas where plants were left to continue regrowing every year and became trees, only the buds would be pulled off the branches. The bud was then left till resin fell on the ground and the ground became sticky. These perennial forests were chopped down in the 1990’s by the authorities under international pressure.
To ensure a smooth smoke, the buds after harvest are left out at night to collect the dew – they should be covered in dew at least twice for the best result. The fully matured seedless Kalanjuichi/Sensimilia (kalanjuichi – honeyfilled) buds (Mchila wa Nkhosa – the tails of sheep) are then chosen and packed in carefully selected and cut to size sections of banana bark.
The buds are arranged evenly in a line in the center of the banana bark sheet and given a light sprinkling of untreated water if they are too dry, with a shake of a wetted hand. The banana bark is then carefully squeezed and wrapped around the bud, then it’s unrolled and inspected and added to until the cobber is satisfied the amount of bud is even along the full length.
Fresh wet bark from hardwood trees is used to tie the buds rolled up in banana bark into a cob, this needs to be very tight – the tighter the better. One end of the bark is tied to a tree or the center post of the hut and full strength and body weight is used to wrap it as tight as possible. Some use a pestle to pound the buds down into the cob whilst packing in as much as possible and continuing to wrap tightly.
The size of the cobs should not be bigger than a big man’s penis or they will be packed too loose. They should also not be too small or there is not enough oil and bud for it to “cook” nicely. Medium is the best!
Once there are a few hundred cobs wrapped, they are placed in the sun for a day or 2 and turned so the binding bark begins to dry and tighten even more, the banana bark wrapping also starts to dry out. The cobs are then placed under the goat’s house on a double floor – the floors are bamboo or wood slats. The goats above piss and shit and this fills up the gaps between the cobs on the floor below.
The temperature in the goat shit rises and stays around 80°C and higher. The banana bark is not fully sealed, so it allows moisture to filter through by osmosis. The banana bark gives off ripening chemicals as it ferments and the binding bark continues to tighten.
The cobs would be removed after at least 40days, but most would leave them till the next harvest when the space is required for reloading with freshly wrapped cobs. Only fully fermented and cured weed from the harvest before last is ready for consumption and smoked.
The best cobs would turn to a sticky solid mass called “pula”. Now a name forgotten for weed and instead used for finger hash or charras. Nowadays, goats are no longer kept in sheds as there are no livestock predators anymore so the traditional way is difficult to find.

More original curing methods

Another method was to bury the cobs in the waste husk left over when brewing local maize beer. This would also ferment and it would not only give the herb a special flavour, but also a golden colour. The longer it was left, the darker the color and the harder and more resinous the final product.
Sometimes the buds would be smoke-cured for a couple of days or hours with hardwood smoke similar to the process for dark fired tobacco. This would help to prevent any unwanted fungus or bacteria from spoiling the fermentation once packed in the cob. After curing, the cobs would sometimes also be smoke-cured before storage and to ensure they were insect and rot resistant.
In dry areas where there were no banana trees, tribes sometimes use the leaves that cover the maize cob and make smaller cobs. These are inferior but do sometimes turn the bud a reddish Colour. Other methods include tightly compressing and packing the buds in the cleaned out hollow sections of certain reeds, perhaps ones containing DMT were favoured. The reeds would be plugged and be left to ferment in a suitable place where the temperature remains stable and preferably warm.
Clay pots of a specific design were also used for curing, they were packed tightly with fresh bud and sealed for months before being smashed open to reveal a solid pot shaped cured stash. The best cobs are traditionally stored after curing in the thatch of the roof of the hut and are to be enjoyed with friends. It was always so hard, one needed a knife or a hacksaw and tough fingers to crush it so it could be smoked. The colors and stickiness would vary from the famous Gold to the super potent black, the red, the purple and the green and brown. Each one was known to have certain qualities and were used for specific reasons. One made you feel happily drunk and the other was known for its knockout action. The tarry sticky black one was famous for being so strong the joint would never be finished in one sitting, even in a group of heavy smokers. The resin would soak the joint after a few pulls and lips would be black. The gold one made you so high that it made Malawi famous!

S

Sertaiz

wow. this looks like a magazine article whats the occasion?
clay pot shaped herb chunks.... too cool. so many ways to skin the cat.....

rod58

I think that it's easy to find a yoghurt making or a vacuum device ... but it seems to be tough to find corn husk, maize or banana leaves to be ordered online, especially organic.

If someone finds an online retailer, please share the URL : they will sell tons of organic corn husks to stoners :jump:

hey there medbelgUsr , i grow shitloads of organic corn .
i like your idea of value adding my corn husks but somehow i think customs wouldn't appreciate it being sent around the world .. but ...
i generally freeze a heap fresh picked very well .

MedBelgUsr

Well rod58, why would the customs have a problem with that ? especially if you send a dry product ? :biggrin:

I dont know how many husks you need to make a decent sized cob but I bet that if you sell them by 20, you will have buyers ...

The size of the husks are pretty standards so it would be easy for you to evaluate how much you could charge for the shipping to meet ends and make some benefits.

Have fun ! :jump:

Tangwena

Veteran
Guys, what about using bee wax paper as a wrapping and replacement for corn husk ?

It's organic and healthy ... and anyone has tried it already ?

https://www.beeswrap.com/
As you can see in the article at least in some of the curing methods the ability of the wrapper to breath is important.
but not in all the methods so thats why I say you dont need it just seal in a vac bag thats good enough believe me I do it a lot and get great results.

Tangwena

Veteran
wow. this looks like a magazine article whats the occasion?
clay pot shaped herb chunks.... too cool. so many ways to skin the cat.....
With a little experience we can look beyond the enclosures and focus on what they produce and what effect they have on the cure all the knowledge is right there.
So yes very exciting and part of a great quest for those of us up to a challenge like searching for the holy grail of curing.

S

Sertaiz

!!! Rod, if you have the want to try, i would join etsy and market your product as food grade organic corn husk, for tamales and such. make it expensive enough that you are happy to send and package. maybe a 20 count, and a hundred count bulk. i am happy to try various barks now, still thinking of the "loaves" you described buying, Tang

Tangwena

Veteran
!!! Rod, if you have the want to try, i would join etsy and market your product as food grade organic corn husk, for tamales and such. make it expensive enough that you are happy to send and package. maybe a 20 count, and a hundred count bulk. i am happy to try various barks now, still thinking of the "loaves" you described buying, Tang
Yes paper bark springs to mind been used in Australia since the original inhabitants first arrived.
Its the golden yellow cures I liked the most its all to do with temps, moisture content and time.
The article is incomplete in that it makes no mention of the different strains grown in the different areas where the different colored cures originated but interesting non the less.

nivek

cob wraps

cob wraps

Guys, what about using bee wax paper as a wrapping and replacement for corn husk ?

It's organic and healthy ... and anyone has tried it already ?

https://www.beeswrap.com/

heya friend,,

i use my used volcano vaporizer bags instead of the corn husks for wrappin my cobs. have been for years now,, have been following tangs thread for a while now

any oven grade food bag is usable, and probably plenty other things too

maybe parchment paper before the wax, but my opinion only

picture.php
picture.php

karma sent friend

S

Sertaiz

woooha nivek, coming out of the woodwork with the works. those cobs look delicious. what is this Mack??? what are the indicas like cobbed????

nivek

woooha nivek, coming out of the woodwork with the works. those cobs look delicious. what is this Mack??? what are the indicas like cobbed????

heya friend,,

the 'mack' is a mama thai/thai stick cross,, first two and last two of all that is 'mack'

i have lost that exact strain now darn it,, was a gooden,, but plenty o sativa left to play with

i have shared a lot of cob with family lately, from my summer outdoor grow,, and you asked about indicas,, well

folks lovin my blueberry cob,, me included

S

Sertaiz

i gotta try... thanks for the push. i always wish indicas were trippier and less couchlocky.

i like the naming.

Tangwena

Veteran
heya friend,,

i use my used volcano vaporizer bags instead of the corn husks for wrappin my cobs. have been for years now,, have been following tangs thread for a while now

any oven grade food bag is usable, and probably plenty other things too

maybe parchment paper before the wax, but my opinion only

View Image View Image

karma sent friend
killing it brother nice looking stash you have there. Welcome to the IC thread good to get another cobbers perspective on the wrapping looks like its perfect from here.

funkyhorse

Very interesting article Tangwena, I decided to make an experiment after reading it
It is impossible to find food vaccuum bags, but banana bark is no problem at all, fresh from the garden and gliphosate free, this year there are a few babies, the plant is happy here

picture.php

So I made a banana cob with the TRSC repro of Malawi Gold and I put it in the greenhouse where it will have temperatures ranging from 20-40C for the summer and will receive some morning dew as well. It will stay until after Carnival.

picture.php

Tomorrow I am trying a cob in the yoghurt maker with the nylon bag of my Arizer Q Extreme which should be of same quality as the Volcano one. Thank you Nivek for the tip, I like this nylon, is much easier to work with than the milk bag which is the only food grade bag available here

Tangwena

Veteran
Very interesting article Tangwena, I decided to make an experiment after reading it
It is impossible to find food vaccuum bags, but banana bark is no problem at all, fresh from the garden and gliphosate free, this year there are a few babies, the plant is happy here

View Image

So I made a banana cob with the TRSC repro of Malawi Gold and I put it in the greenhouse where it will have temperatures ranging from 20-40C for the summer and will receive some morning dew as well. It will stay until after Carnival.

View Image

Tomorrow I am trying a cob in the yoghurt maker with the nylon bag of my Arizer Q Extreme which should be of same quality as the Volcano one. Thank you Nivek for the tip, I like this nylon, is much easier to work with than the milk bag which is the only food grade bag available here
Nice one my friend thats 100% traditional just dont forget to make the cobs as thick as a big mans penis.
dont look at me its in the article ha ha.
Makes sense though the fatter the cob the more action in the fermenting department.

funkyhorse

This is the only window of the year when I get temperatures that allow to make it naturally
It is the first time I put in the best I have at the moment, it is very sticky,it makes charas. Its an own cross Nl5xH x Chocolate Thai
picture.php

I hope it makes a good fermentation process
25 grams makes just for a thick little banana like this tree gives
picture.php

lets see after 40 days in the greenhouse what happens
picture.php
picture.php