What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I also find the whole plant experience of chewed cob preferable to extracts.
Always seems to lose something in the extraction process.

And swallowed cob in any dose over 0.1-0.2 usually does slay me for some portion of the day- in a good but maybe not so functional way, somewhat depending on the cob. Usually a very brief lay down- ten minutes or so and we're good to go, and as Tangwena has described, higher.
May have to try spitting a bit more rather than religiously chewing and swallowing.
Give it a go brother on some cob you are familiar with.
Double the dose but dont swallow the dust and get back to me with your thoughts ha ha.
With mine its like pure ecstacy over the top feelings of love and understanding of every living thing its unreal!
The golden Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian I'm using is a different animal this way even better than it was.
AND it was already pretty darn good ha ha.
Your wife may have to run pretty fast to get away from you ha ha its pure bliss.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A Nesco food dehydrator is what I am heating the cobs with. The parchment is preventing me from seeing the color, so how long at 35*c should they sweat at?

To have the THC-a converted takes time at temp.there is a curve I will have to find, but at 35*c I bet it is 12 hours or more.

Edit: to see the colors I cut the single cob in half and put the halves in smaller bags with no parchment. I think the dope is too dry, but we’ll see.

Last edited:

ProfessorLefty

A Nesco food dehydrator is what I am heating the cobs with. The parchment is preventing me from seeing the color, so how long at 35*c should they sweat at?

To have the THC-a converted takes time at temp.there is a curve I will have to find, but at 35*c I bet it is 12 hours or more.

Edit: to see the colors I cut the single cob in half and put the halves in smaller bags with no parchment. I think the dope is too dry, but we’ll see.
Not an expert, but I sweated mine for 24 hours at about 40C

Also recommend double-checking the temp with a laser thermometer—dial on my dehydrator said 40C but was actually closer to 50C, had to turn it all the way down to get to 40

ProfessorLefty

Not an expert, but I sweated mine for 24 hours at about 40C

Also recommend double-checking the temp with a laser thermometer—dial on my dehydrator said 40C but was actually closer to 50C, had to turn it all the way down o get to 40

Taima-da

Wont be too dry in all probability. The smell is the giveaway for me before colour, especially when starting drier - tells you things have started up, don't be afraid to open it up and have a whiff.
It's not about decarb either I think.
There is an analysis earlier in the thread.
And a day long sweat should be fine

Last edited:

CDNINCA

Status update: And a few pics too!
I had some time this afternoon so I decided to open up the cobs and let them breathe a little before re-sealing them. It's been two weeks since I did this last, wow have they evolved nicely! I think I'll open them each week from now on so I can keep a close eye on how they are changing.

The aromas are incredible, the colors are "improving", what an amazing experiment!

1. Skunkwater x Pamdemic - a friend in San Diego bread this one...
2. Stoopid Fruits - Humboldt Seed Co.
3. Malawi Gold - The Landrace Co.
4. Northern Lights #5 - Authentic Genetics Seed Co.

Cheers!

Attachments

• SunkPam.JPG
    SunkPam.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • StoopidFruits.JPG
    StoopidFruits.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
  • MalawiGold.JPG
    MalawiGold.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • NorthernLights#5.JPG
    NorthernLights#5.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 59

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
In the words of the infamous Stymie from the Little Rascals..... Well, I don't know where I'm goin'. But, I'm on my way. LOL

It was 76 grams wet. 2 days after chop it is about 40 grams. It is super fluffy so it feels pretty dry. I may be early but I went ahead any way.

I made 2, 20 grams cobs.

Rolling it in parchment didn't seem to work very well so I just squeezed it and rolled it in my hand as tight as I could get it and then put it in the bag before it had a chance to expand.

I bought a seed heat mat with a thermostat and it is in there now. The temps is showing 90F right now but still climbing. I hope it will reach the 104F target.

OK, it's waiting time. Wish me luck. :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Taima-da

Colour in the second photo says you could have dried at least an extra day. Next time you might try one where you feel, and the other two days later -for comparison.
Once colour change starts to happen I would start drying them cos it's gonna happen fast and go dark by the look... They'll still be good but you might get a radical change in the terp department.

@Tangwena twice the regular amount today and spat (pineapple banana bud by GMS), very different effect, brain is a pinball game -in a very pleasant way
-so far such an easy going happy day with huge banging smile
😃

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Colour in the second photo says you could have dried at least an extra day. Next time you might try one where you feel, and the other two days later -for comparison.
Once colour change starts to happen I would start drying them cos it's gonna happen fast and go dark by the look... They'll still be good but you might get a radical change in the terp department.

@Tangwena twice the regular amount today and spat (pineapple banana bud by GMS), very different effect, brain is a pinball game -in a very pleasant way
-so far such an easy going happy day with huge banging smile
😃
I'll be growing some Mulanje gifted to me from GMS next!
I cant wait to try it, glad you are enjoying it I was starting to think I was loosing my marbles ha ha.
Pinball is a very apt description ching ching clunk ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Go by the smell the looks will come as it ages if it smells good its ready to age.
Status update: And a few pics too!
I had some time this afternoon so I decided to open up the cobs and let them breathe a little before re-sealing them. It's been two weeks since I did this last, wow have they evolved nicely! I think I'll open them each week from now on so I can keep a close eye on how they are changing.

The aromas are incredible, the colors are "improving", what an amazing experiment!

1. Skunkwater x Pamdemic - a friend in San Diego bread this one...
2. Stoopid Fruits - Humboldt Seed Co.
3. Malawi Gold - The Landrace Co.
4. Northern Lights #5 - Authentic Genetics Seed Co.

Cheers!
l

Tangwena

Veteran

Didn't you use some already jar cured mixed with a bit of fresh?
If so that is why, its too dry to ferment have you got any close up pics?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is one of the parchment cobs after almost 30 hours at 36*c. The dry pieces from the ends say the material might have been too dry. The cob has formed a chunk, which is better than loose pieces.

2B9DAB8B-7860-4A82-8A03-52B959690564.jpeg

I rolled a joint with the loose stuff, and resealed that cob and put it back in the cooker. The smoke was smooth, and after a few hits I found myself tending the tents instead of smoking.

I’ll make more cobs, starting with wetter material. I think using a jar and hygrometer to get the moisture right might be a good pre-cob technique. I am still going to keep the best as flower, but there is a lot from a haze plant that will benefit from this compaction from loose useless shake into a cob. Especially after squeezing seeds out of buds, or scraping smalls off branches. Cleaning and trimming over parchment instead of my plastic table or rolling tray ( coated with hash) is something I just discovered too.

I like it Tangwena. Thanks!

Last edited:

CDNINCA

Go by the smell the looks will come as it ages if it smells good its ready to age.

l
Thanks @Tangwena , when it's ready how do you suggest I age it? Do I open the cobs let them completely dry (slowly) in order to stop the evolution? Then once they are dry - just keep them unwrapped and vacuum sealed in a glass jar for long-term storage?

Thanks once again for your guidance here, greatly appreciated!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Thanks @Tangwena , when it's ready how do you suggest I age it? Do I open the cobs let them completely dry (slowly) in order to stop the evolution? Then once they are dry - just keep them unwrapped and vacuum sealed in a glass jar for long-term storage?

Thanks once again for your guidance here, greatly appreciated!
Exactly that.

I tend to break a chunk off that I'm intending to use over the next few weeks and keep it in a little jar. The rest of the cob is resealed for further aging.

I have a drawer with many little jars and alternate between them. 😀

Today it's Golden Tiger 😍

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
How critical is the initial sweat temperature of 104F?

I left mine in the dome all night but the temperature never got over 98F. They are definitely sweating right now but temp is only about 95F. At least that's what the thermostat says.

I may seal a hygrometer/thermometer into my next bag so I can see temp and RH. Anyone ever do that?

Tonight I'll move onto step 2.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway

I left mine in the dome all night but the temperature never got over 98F. They are definitely sweating right now but temp is only about 95F. At least that's what the thermostat says.

I may seal a hygrometer/thermometer into my next bag so I can see temp and RH. Anyone ever do that?

The initial sweat temp is not critical at all. As long as it's going then it'll be fine.

Tangwena

Veteran

As brother Hombre said its not that critical some of my best results came from no initial sweat at all just slow curing/sweating in the low 30c range.
All temps work as long as they are warm (above 25c) they just work slower and sometimes that is better for evolving new terps and aromas.
Once you get those sweet fruity or floral type aromas you are on a winner.

JustGrowing420

One more cause I couldn't resist cobbing some Killer A5 Haze

Dried for 5 days at 55-60% rh and sweated for 20 hours at 40-43C. I also removed the bigger stalks and most of the leaves, which I did not do with the golden tiger cob.
This one did not sweat that much and I suspect it was the moisture from stems/leaves, they hold a lot.

Nice, I open it up and a fermented floral smell hits me, then I come on here to post and read the above :jump:
Once you get those sweet fruity or floral type aromas you are on a winner.

Before
full

full

full

full

full

and after the intial sweat, now drying a little.

full

full

full