Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time lurker and first time grower here.
    I have learned SO much from this community, and there is SO much to learn that I have been stuffing my brain with it AS I need it.
    I am coming into my last 3 weeks of flower and it's time to start learning about the harvest/curing part of this journey.
    What a great post to add to my mental repertoire.
    Thanks so much for the post... awesome
    FW
    CUSTOM Fridge grow box

Custom Fridge Part Deux

Nug Machine Round 3

Comment

I know this topic has been discussed before... I know there are people on both sides of the argument. The people that say to harvest before lights come on say that as soon as the lights come on thr plant moves all those starches (etc) from the roots into the plant.
      But here's my question -

How could the plant Instantly move all that stuff from the roots into the plant? I mean, I could see that it would start the process once lights are on. But how could it do it instantly when hit with the first morning light? I wasn't aware a plant had the ability to move things in that manner.
      So, having said that, I could see why you'd want to harvest early in the AM as soon as the lights come on. But is it really necessary to try to harvest in complete darkness?

Also, my next question - I have a hell of a time telling when the tricomes have turned cloudy (and yes I've seen some of the pics). They always look kind of cloudy to me, even when I know there are weeks left... Where exactly do you look? At the center of the tricome head? For the stem of the tricome to turn cloudy? I think a lot of times I end up waiting too long...

Comment

I alway thought harvest time was when you were 10% or so amber and all cloudy to get more of a complete high.

Comment

Harvesting

after you cut your plant is it a good idea to put it in a closed room with a light and a fan ? Or no light? If a light just a regular ? 1st time growing sorry
          Attached Files

Comment

Code, No light.

Use caution, mold can set in Fast..
            *DISCLAIMER: Fuck it !

Comment

Nice post, thanks for sharing. You should add another section, specifically going into more details about trichome ripeness, and magnification. To me this is the most important step in harvesting top notch cannabis
              What we think, we become. -Buddha-

Comment

Originally posted by webecat View Post
                I alway thought harvest time was when you were 10% or so amber and all cloudy to get more of a complete high.
                this is where I like my trichomes to be, 10%-18% amber, with most cloudy.
                What we think, we become. -Buddha-

Comment

Nice Thread, thanks for sharing
                  going to use some of these tips in my next chop...

Comment

good post

Comment

Originally posted by Chronic Don View Post
                      why do you dry in the dark? wouldnt it be better to dry with some light? would the plants not continue to produce resin until they dry too much, without light wouldnt they go into a "hibernation" and quit doing anything?
                      Light causes photooxidation to the resin glands causing them to break down quicker. As much as you can you want to limit your flowers exposure to air and light. That is why people keep there buds in sealed containers of some sort in dark places. You also want to avoid storing your flowers at high temperatures. I would wager a guess that the closer you can get to 34 degrees the better. This is the temperature they keeps perishable fruits and vegetables at such as apples to keep them fresh without freezing them. At this temperature apples can be stored for a year. Imagine how long your flowers would last if properly cured in an airtight container in the dark at 34 degrees.

Comment

For drying it is best to keep the air around 55% humidity with a dehumidifier and a fan to keep the air circulating. Drier than 50% will dry the flowers out too fast and they will not cure properly. The white and cream colored hair will stay white and cream colored and the flowers just wont look right among other things. On the other hand if your humidity is too high you risk your flowers molding or fermenting while you wait for them to dry. Keeping the air circulating around the flowers at the proper humidity is crucial to a good cure in order to insure they dry at the proper and steady rate. A room filled with freshly cut flowers will quickly become overly humid and inhibit a proper drying atmosphere. Some written works on the subject say 45% to 55% is a good window. However I feel that with a good dehumidifier tighter and more ideal parameters can be easily achieved. Setting a dehumidifier to turn off when the air reaches 50% should keep your air in between 50% to 55% in a 10x10 room. Oscillating fans will keep the humidity through out the room at more even levels.
                        Last edited by CoastalKind; 08-05-2016, 20:56.

Comment

Great Info! Found it to be extremely helpful. Quick question, while researching other methods, i came across different Numbers being thrown around regarding optimal rH, temps, as well as times. I'm going to run with it though and ill let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Codepoo View Post
                            after you cut your plant is it a good idea to put it in a closed room with a light and a fan ? Or no light? If a light just a regular ? 1st time growing sorry
                            https://youtu.be/NKPbXRAv6YA

this guy has a great way of explaining things the way i like to do things, much better than i could too lol.
                            Anyone got insight on boiling water being used before actual harvest?

Comment

Helpful, Thanks

Comment

Reading Trichomes

Hello IC Crew,

First time poster on this massive forum of Knowledge, some of the greatest threads i have read on here, i was wondering if i could get a second opinion on my Harvest time. It is a Indica dominant hybrid 58 days into flower... What do you think, ready to harvest?

If i had too could i wait 5 days?

Thanks for any replies

Comment

Working...
                                X