What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

jus'plain'gill

is there a simple check to ensure your freezer is a frost free freezer?

If your freezer is on and has been in use recently, open it up and look inside. A frost-free freezer will be free of frost while other freezers will have frost accumulating on the inside. Quick and easy way to check. Take care.

.JPG

This is great to know. I just posted this question in this area and only got one response. I decided to take the bud out of freezer after 20 some days and jar it up last night. We'll see what happens.

Thanks Gill. Two year old posts do come in handy.

DrFever

Veteran
Not going to go through this complete thread but storing weed in a freezer is prob not the best idea you can if you have a Vacuum pack but for a short period it would be ok non less when taking it out it will not be completely dry and need to get the dampness out.
people use ice to make hash reason is THC resin will freeze and fall off better to be collected :)
Best place to store and cure buds is in a dark cool place ranging from 63 - 68 max with some air movement
hope this helps

F

Funion

Thank you DrFever for stating you are not going to read the thread before posting.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Not going to go through this complete thread but storing weed in a freezer is prob not the best idea you can if you have a Vacuum pack but for a short period it would be ok non less when taking it out it will not be completely dry and need to get the dampness out.
people use ice to make hash reason is THC resin will freeze and fall off better to be collected :)
Best place to store and cure buds is in a dark cool place ranging from 63 - 68 max with some air movement
hope this helps

Read the thread. Its for situations when you need to be somewhere or cant be around to burp and do all the normal methods.

I understand they dont teach reading nowadays, but pretend This thread is a text message, maybe you will read it now? nvm, nothing is abbreviated....KK? LOL? U SEE? OMG? WAT? NE1SEE DAT?

hurry the fuck up mayans, theres way to many idiots out here.

jus'plain'gill

hope this helps

I guess the title of this thread has become a little misleading. You replied to my (2 year old, 11 page) thread as if I were still looking for the answer to a question. In fact there is no question...

There is no question that curing your pot in the freezer can give perfect results.

I have some stash that is 9-12 months jarred after having been freezer dried/cured for the first 3-4 weeks. When the jar is cracked, it smells like roadkill heaven. This, I believe, means the oils/glands/terpenes/good stuff has been properly preserved. That, and I get high as eagles' balls when I smoke it.

If you try it and it doesn't work for you, it is not because the method is flawed. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, knowledge is power.

Good luck and take care,

.JPG

jus'plain'gill

I'd have thought this would have caught on more.

Works for me.

I would've figured the same. Especially for the stoner types who are lazy or forgetful. Or for the busy, go getter types that don't have time to fuss with jars and hygrometers. But most definitely for the types that like top notch cured buds as a reward for their efforts.

Hows it going with you City Twin? What's your method before they go in your freezer? I'm glad to see it's still working for you, its been an awesome discovery for myself.

Take care,

.JPG

jus'plain'gill

Read the thread... ...Its for situations when you need to be somewhere or cant be around to burp and do all the normal methods...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TripleDraw27 again."

Thanks for pointing that out. It is frustrating that people present their opinions as fact without even reading the info in this thread. In addition to being incredibly simple and easy, this method provides excellent results. So its not just an "easy" fix or shortcut, its the best way I have found to cure pot, hands down. I really hope this will catch on with more growers.

Take care,

.JPG

Hey, your two year old 11, now 12 page thread helped me. I of course never freeze my bud unless I plan to use it for hash, and that's just what I did, but a situation came up where I needed a few ozs of smoke and I didn't have any so I took some popcorn and have begun to cure it. Seems to be going great. The smell is wicked again and I can't say I notice that I lost too many glands in the process either.

My thread on this still only has one reply, so I have to say thanks that you started this up.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the problem with it catching on ... isn't so much that it "didn't catch on " its just not practical to leave your weed alone for 3 weeks in the freezer ... unless your growing for yourself only & can handle the waiting time .

I tried it & it worked great ! i really liked the way my buds came out compared to my typical dry & cure , but the wife didn't appreciate the smell when she opened the freezer .... so i went back to my method .

City Twin

Hey All,

I’m really surprised this hasn't become a sticky actually. Guess it’s our little secret, eh gang?

I decided to take the bud out of freezer after 20 some days and jar it up last night. We'll see what happens.

Won’t be long now. Do let us know.

I would've figured the same. Especially for the stoner types who are lazy or forgetful. Or for the busy, go getter types that don't have time to fuss with jars and hygrometers. But most definitely for the types that like top notch cured buds as a reward for their efforts.

Hows it going with you City Twin? What's your method before they go in your freezer? I'm glad to see it's still working for you, its been an awesome discovery for myself.

Take care,

Hey ‘gill,

All is well. Especially since I have a dedicated frost-free space now. Set at 32F soft freeze. ( See me smile? ) Hummmm . . .. Soft Freezing Method.

Method? What method? I just sort of gave it a try with mushrooms long and long ago. I knew hard freezing them gave a mess of near useless mush in return. I knew water didn’t freeze at 32 degrees till enough caloric energy had been transferred to initiate crystallization . I knew how a frost-free freezer worked and found the one available could set at 30 on the highest position.

BINGO!!! Fast mushie drying with no ruptured cells. More attractive than other dried specimens as well.

So, for flower herbs. Hang it or Sun it or hammock or brown sack it till it’s how you like to wet trim. Or just past leaf wilting should be enough to lower surface moisture on the produce. That seems to be the only prerequisite, low surface moisture, particularly if you use a hard freezer.

Cover freezer racks with a chunk of nylon window screen if necessary .

Drying time depends, of course, on overall size of items being processed and freezer loading. More stuff drying little more time. Smaller buds, single layered , should be dry in three or four days. Far from any “cure” but dried to perfection any how. Horse tails may take 2 weeks at least. I would think. Need a Turing or two if packed tightly on the racks.

Remember, moisture deeper in the plant tissues must be given time to migrate and wick at the surface. A big thick sticky bud may seem dry to the touch yet still be too moist inside. So err on the longer side of drying or take samples to weigh and force dry for comparison water weight.

But that’s the nice thing. You’ll never over dry to a crisp this way.

See you all next time I’m on this machine.

Keep Chillin’. CT

jus'plain'gill

Hey ‘gill,

All is well. Especially since I have a dedicated frost-free space now. Set at 32F soft freeze. ( See me smile? ) Hummmm . . .. Soft Freezing Method. ...

Hey there City, I'm glad to see you're keeping after it and keeping with this thread. Right on, because not enough growers are convinced yet and that's kind of a shame.

Take care,

.JPG

Definitely one of the best ever developed threads here on ICMAG... really!! (imho)
I'm quite near to harvest and read carefully each post, taking in account each add-on and comparison, suggestion and advice that came through.

Real compliments to .jpg (also for the awesome nickname!) for the devotion and scientific approach to this subject, great!

I pay my tribute now commenting some details and once I try the Cold Cure I'll post my personal impressions and results!

Random Considerations from a lot of things read before in this thread:

- RH is so called because the colder is the air the lower is the water that can be contained in. Google (images) for "Mollier diagram" and find out... 5 grams of water each kg of air (1 cubic meter more or less) at 0 °C is around 60% RH but if you drop 5 °C the same amount of humidity correspond to 80% RH!!!
This implies that lower temperatures are necessarly slower in drying our medicine and of course is the buds are too wet (eg. not pre-dried to a satisfactory point as above repeated and stated before Cold Curing) it is almost impossible to see any progress in drying (like someone reported).
My idea? 0°C or just a bit less...

- Evaporation is a matter related to the "partial pressure" of steam... concepts not so far from the HR issue above, anyway, the air circulation is really important to speed up and make the method effective. I'm collecting info about the details of the sublimation... hope to understand something more and fill in the blanks my brain has left, then I'll let you know!

- Freezer opening. Anytime you open the door you introduce hot wet air and affect negatively the efficiency of the cure. Keep it at the minimum possible.

- A super-fast drying like with nitrogen would have the advantage to create microscopic crystals (slower icing creates macro-crystals) not bringing to the breakage (and so damage) of the cellular walls. Anyway, it seems that .JPG and his followers never faced property losses once the buds are pre-dried... so... Why waste nitrogen??? -keep it simple!-

- Cardbox and any paper box are to be preferred to Glass tupperware IMHO for the fact that cold glass can cause a condensation surface (being a thermal conductor is really cold) without absorbing water furthermore... The cardbox is in a certain way "breathable" instead and offer no cold surface where ice can freeze onto.

- Smell issue. The sense of smell works a lot better with humidity; the suspended water in the air can more easily drive in our nose the volatile substances that let us feel the smell (think about the deepness of the smell you feel after it begins raining on a summer-hot road... or, less poetic but of more easily test, the super-power of a fart in a steam-filled shower). Logically a bud that comes out of the freezer needs time to gain a proper level of moisture... keep on mind the temperature-HR relationship!! Even if it's not "crispy" it's fuck-the-hell dry in comparison to the ambient humidity. Jar cure for some day after taking out can be tried with some orange or lemon peel inside, I know someone that tried it and the result are truly awesome!!!

At the moment I don't remember anything else from this great thread that gave me a lot of great info... thanks again to JPG for the work: I'll try it asap... next week?
I've got some outdoor babies and the tallest one is close to the harvest point, others following.

Really... this thread deserves a sticky grade!!

Best regards,
an Italian Grower

City Twin

Hey there City, I'm glad to see you're keeping after it and keeping with this thread. Right on, because not enough growers are convinced yet and that's kind of a shame.

Take care,

.JPG

Hey 'gil,

Trust all is well with you and yours.

So what's the "Ideal" dry moisture content supposed to be again? Maybe we all can figure some way to hit it.

( where's my temp-rH chart again )

jus'plain'gill

This is great info. How can I tell when it's been in there long enough?

Hola Papa, that is an excellent question and thank you for the compliment! For me, usually around the 15-20th day of pot being frozen, I like to take buds out and give 'em a squeeze and bend the stem to see what kind of moisture is left. But my FAVORITE thing to do is smoke some :joint:

Once I have determined the buds are ready, usually 3-4 weeks, I take them out of the freezer and let them air out for a couple hours at least. Then they get sealed up in containers and monitored with a hygrometer until humidity is where I want it, 55-60%.

Good luck and take care.

Hey 'gil,

Trust all is well with you and yours.

So what's the "Ideal" dry moisture content supposed to be again? Maybe we all can figure some way to hit it.

( where's my temp-rH chart again )

So far so good here City Twin. I'm just always hoping for good weather ya know :biggrin:

I like to shoot for about 55% on the stuff that gets sealed well and stored for months. On the stuff I'm smoking, I like it a touch drier. I think the ideal for long term storage is 55-60%, but short term or already cured pot might be more of a preference thing. I don't know, I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Take care,

.JPG

City Twin

Hey Gil,
Everyone,

I'm currently reading everything I can on curing and why, plus chemistry of the cure process. Looking to improve the technique. ( if that's possible, or even desirable. I'm pretty satisfied myself. )

Yep, 55% is consensus. Also understand that too dry stops the cure chemical process which can not be restarted via rehumidification. So, objective would be slow the drying process down by keeping humidity in a higher range than a frost free allows.

I need to find, or extrapolate, the moisture content specs of plant material for the cure rather than environment rH.

Here's a thought. Once produce has dried to proper water content, place loosely in a container with a vapor barrier. I used to ambient cure herbs in wide mouth jars with a Tyveck closure. Construction peeps may recognize this as house wrap, which allows air exchange while reducing water transportation significantly.

Since the cold temps we're dealing with preclude mold problems, air movement over and through produce should be less critical, once it is not sopping wet.

I think a Tyveck envelope would be ideal. US Post Office has them for Priority Mail, but I'm inclined to find some at the office supply and choose a size for my need. If frost doesn't get the last of my Lion's Mane I am going to split harvest between my frost free and regular freezers. This should show if the technique can be suited for any old freezer and temp range.

Be Safe All, CT