What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

bushed

I dont use a frost free freezer, i dry up until the point i used to put into jars when stems snap. I put into ziplock bags half oz portions and then into an airtight container.

Stores so much better is slightly sticky and tastes great.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This is a summary of what I found in the first few pages of this thread. I stopped because it's the same positive results throughout.

I have to mention is that this thread is about drying the traditional way, THEN curing in the freezer.

In a nut shell:
1. Harvest
2. Dry for 3-4 days
3. Box them up
4. Freeze them for about 20 days.
5. Jar them.
No need to fuss opening jars everyday to cure them. The freezer is the cure!

On a personal note, I froze my whole stash fresh. I was told, and have read on here many time that it would turn into mush. Don't believe it. See the results at the bottom of this page.

=====================================

In the The Marijuana Grower's Handbook, Ed Rosenthal states:
"you should dry your bud to the point of stem snapping and to the point you would normally begin bagging and sweating or jarring and burping your buds. Once at that point you put the partially dried buds in the freezer to "freeze dry". The water in the plant tissues freezes and then evaporates over time (10-20 days according to the book) through a process called sublimation. The claims are better taste and preservation of psychoactive compounds."
-------------------------------------

Don't believe everything you read but do BELIEVE THIS: marijuana can effectively be dried and cured in the freezer portion of the refrigerator sitting in your home's kitchen.

I have concluded that the freezer drying method is superior and more practical for my situation than is drying and curing in jars. All marijuana was hang-dried for 4 days prior to going into their jars or the freezer but after those first 4 days the 2 methods differ considerably.

I never had to monitor the conditions of or do anything to the bud drying in the freezer, it was in a constant pitch black darkness and an airtight environment to protect THC from degradation. The vacuum also keeps the smell in, NO ODOR EVER COMING FROM THE FREEZER. This method was pretty much "Set it and Forget it!"

The bud in jars was aired out a couple times a day or as often as possible. I also monitored the temps and humidity very closely. So, essentially, this method required daily attention.

I am happy with the results from both methods. I have quality smoke a little more than 3 weeks after harvest from either way. I must say, however, I am more happy with the freeze dried product. After a couple days to think, and smoke, on it I have noticed a positive difference in the freezer weed. Most importantly the buzz is more pronounced, cleaner and longer lasting. The flavor is also better, similar to the jarred bud but more of it and more refined.

The only thing, so far, where the jarred pot beats the freezer pot is smell. Cracking open a jar of pot dried in the jar puts out a good, pungent odor. Cracking open the jar of freeze dried pot doesn't smack you in the face with that good, good smell. It might be different after being left to "sweat" in the jar for a few days however.

I have a decent sized harvest that is ready for the jars or the freezer now/tonight. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fit as much as I can in the extra spaces in my freezer and the only bud going in jars will be what doesn't fit in the freezer. I should get a more conclusive idea after this go at it, being there will be a much larger sample size.

Thanks again for hanging around and going along with a mostly boring thread. I'd love to see some feedback and I would love even more if someone else would give this a try to help refine the method more.

I chop my buds and hang them to dry in my drying cab for 3-5 days. Once they are at the proper point (crispy on the outside of the bud with the stem still having some flex, no snapping) they go straight into the FREEZER. All us growers have different growing, drying, and curing conditions. MY buds might dry in 3 days under MY conditions whereas the same buds could take 6 days to dry under YOUR conditions. The freezer method should take out that variable and put all who try it on the same page as far as timing is concerned.

I don't think putting your buds into the paper sack will be detrimental in any way but I also don't believe that it is a necessary step. The idea of the paper sack is to slow the drying process and get more even moisture through your buds so they dry consistently. This isn't necessary with the freezer method because the freezer itself is slowing down drying (in fact a whole other process takes over: sublimation) and you should end up with the most even and proper cure possible.

This last harvest that was dried in the freezer went much quicker than the one before. I let the buds dry for 4-5 days after the initial chop then they went into the freezer for 9 days instead of 20. The buds were ready to smoke at this point. I think the main factor in the reduced freezer time was that I let the buds dry a little longer post chop before they went in the freezer.

The buds all went into three airtight containers after their 9 days in. I used the Caliber III to check my humidity and did have to sweat the containers twice to go from 62% down to about 55-57%. At this point all pot was smoking very smoothly and the flavor and smell were coming back and getting stronger.

I took a few buds out of one of the main containers 6-7 days ago and put them into a jar for myself to pinch out of for my smoke. The jar gets opened 4-5 times a day so by last night the buds were significantly drier (crumbly) and not smoking as smooth. I dipped into one of the main containers to refill my smaller jar this morning and the buds are still very spongy and smoked very nicely. I'm seeing, so far, that the main idea to keeping your smoke as quality as possible is to maintain that proper moisture level.

Whether you're curing in jars or the freezer, the goals are the same. As far as I can tell, curing buds for short or long term storage with the freezer method works very well. I can't imagine using another method in my situation! I am very glad to have stumbled across that golden nugget of info in that book because I had never read about it in any forum!

Quote:
[Have you ever noticed any issues if you leave the bud in the freezer too long? Or is there such a thing?.]

None at all though your weed will eventually get too dry. This process happens slowly though so I wouldn't be too worried about it. And after having it in jars for many months, I can tell you this stuff gets better as time goes by. It still has the perfect texture and hits nice and smooth leaving a clean, white ash and a smile on my face.

Quote:
[Do you think it would still work if I put the buds in some kind of cardboard box, and closed it but didn't seal it tight (still in the freezer of course)? Have you ever tried it using a closed box, or only open jars?]

That absolutely will work and is just how I did it. I used cardboard boxes, filled loosely with weed, then the "lid" closed (four flaps folded to close the top). It worked well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)
Sublimation:
Basically it says that many different solids will sublime (transition from a solid directly to a gas), but water is unique in that it will happen at just under 0*C (32*F), the temperature at which most of our freezers are set. That's what "freezer burn" is - sublimation of moisture from your food. When you thaw food that has been freezer burned, the spots where it was "burned" will be dried out.

A simpler way to say it is that ice will evaporate just like water (although quite a bit slower), if it's at a temperature just below freezing.

Quote:
[As this happens it will cause the moisture stuck in the center of the bud to be more evenly distributed across the entire bud. This is exactly what curing is supposed to do.]

THIS IS IMPORTANT!! I believe this is the reason this method works so well, so consistently!

I haven't posted here in over a year, but its good to see this thread going strong as it comes up on 6 years of experimenting and sharing. I hope many growers have found success and improved the quality of the fruits of their labor!

I am still using my freezer to do the curing deed, just had one of my most successful runs and have the majority in the freezer curing now.
[snip]

Good luck to all and take care

=====================================

I had a plant that was very ready and I was too busy to trim, but it absolutely had to come in, so I stripped the plant and put the bud in the freezer right away. 2 full bags. They're about half the size of normal yard waste bags.
attachment.php

I didn't mind because I've seen people make Frosin (with fresh frozen buds and dry ice) but my plant foxtailed to ol hell. So it was going to be hash. I'm not so sure anymore.

This bud had ice crystals when I took it out. It dried in 2 days on a rack and the leaves fall off with just a touch. Expect a flat spot though, but after a couple days, it's almost gone. They'll get a quick trim and go back in the freezer for a finishing cure. The smell is fantastic. Next time I'll dry like Mr. Rosenthal says and cure in the freezer.

Original Glue x NL Semi Auto (foxtailed on me)
picture.php

Legalcdn

Living in canada..during winter the outdoor temps in a shed would be colder than freezer (0 degrees). Would it not be the same result as frost free fridge curing ?

Hookahhead

Very well written post Tycho, it will definitely be one I point people to when referencing this thread! I’m getting ready to do my second batch of freeze cure at the end of the month, I’ll report back with the results.

As you noted, the cold jars have little smell. This is disappointing because you don’t get that big whiff of pleasure that you’re expecting, until you realize that you don’t smell anything because your terps aren’t volatilizing off like crazy.

On my first run I noticed the buds had a noticeably “springy” texture, did you experience this as well?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Living in canada..during winter the outdoor temps in a shed would be colder than freezer (0 degrees). Would it not be the same result as frost free fridge curing ?
Depends where you are. Calgary would be dry as hell, so... ya. In my area, humidity hangs between 70 and 90% until February before it starts dropping. Either way, I'd try it.

Very well written post Tycho, it will definitely be one I point people to when referencing this thread! I’m getting ready to do my second batch of freeze cure at the end of the month, I’ll report back with the results.

As you noted, the cold jars have little smell. This is disappointing because you don’t get that big whiff of pleasure that you’re expecting, until you realize that you don’t smell anything because your terps aren’t volatilizing off like crazy.

On my first run I noticed the buds had a noticeably “springy” texture, did you experience this as well?
Thanks.

Dried and springy buds is exactly the way well prepared buds are supposed to be. It's the sweet spot I look for. If I can do that and still be at 65rh, I'm happy.

Legalcdn

Depends where you are. Calgary would be dry as hell, so... ya. In my area, humidity hangs between 70 and 90% until February before it starts dropping. Either way, I'd try it.

It's about the same here for humidity. I only mention outdoor as i hang my prosciutto to cure from mid dec to early march in garage. If it gets humid..i put a fan on it to prevent mold.. costco has dehumidifier packs that soak up moisture..you then plug them in outlet to heat and re-activate them. I will try freezer method in april as my zamedelia x old timer haze will be ready to harvest.

Thanks for sharing. I value good tips and super write up.

brock1

Best buds I ever smoked were fridge cured. Though for long term freezer is more suited and better than a normal jar cure 100%.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The best bud I smoked was dried outdoor. I don't remember it cured. It took a good month, so maybe the cure was during the drying.

I dried some in my shed last year. It was ready to debuck and I'd miss it because I was lazy, then it would rain and rehydrate. Wait some more. Lol

Wife said it was the best I grew. "Now that's an award winner" :)

ravenchief

Great summary - I am harvesting 3 plants in the next few days and I think I will try this with at least one of them. I also have a herbsnow that dries the buds pretty quickly.
I will be comparing with curing one plant using grove bags and one traditional glass jars and humidity packs. All dried with herbsnow.
I love the idea of a freeze-cure.
Photo%20Jan%2015%2C%203%2035%2019%20PM.jpg

E

ESTERCHASER

whole plant dry or branches?

whole plant dry or branches?

The best bud I smoked was dried outdoor. I don't remember it cured. It took a good month, so maybe the cure was during the drying.

I dried some in my shed last year. It was ready to debuck and I'd miss it because I was lazy, then it would rain and rehydrate. Wait some more. Lol

I NEVER saw my elders hang branches many moons ago....Can you guys explain to me why folks cut branches and hang those as oppossed to whole hanging of plant to dry?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Simple! They dry quicker. There's a lot of water in the stalk that requires to be removed. Until it is removed, it is still sharing with the remainder of the plant by osmosis. That being said, the slower, the better. Unfortunately, most of the time, time is of the essence, so we skip that step. Besides, it provides for better air circulation. :)

E

ESTERCHASER

fair enough, so theres no real diff in taste or potency based on drying methods? whole or branches?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Note that this thread is called FINISH DRYING...

I put fresh bud in my freezer in October and it's nowhere near dry.

This is to make it clear that you only FINISH drying the bud.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!

... just like tobacco curing in the old "tobacco barns".

E

ESTERCHASER

hung it for 10 yrs with puerto ricans from chicopee mass, i wonder where all that mass tobacco went to? red man chew?
Anyway i learned alot about utilizing the freezer, its prob best learnt via trial and error tho no?

Latest posts

Latest posts