What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White calyx? White buds? Rot?

BobChronic6505

Wtf is this shit? Found mostly on buds without access to light, like inside closest to the stem.

Nothing smells bad or rotten.

The pictures dont rly show how white the spots are so hopefully u guys can tell what's up.
20210719_020341.jpg
20210719_020357.jpg
20210719_020203.jpg

M

member 505892

Not getting any direct light would be the precise reason why it's not green, no?

Usually you'll find that the inside of big colas have less resin than the outside as well, if they are fairly dense.

abuldur

This happens to me to sometimes .
My guess is lack of nutrients compared to light strength or a long rince at the end of flowering .
It also happens when you let them go for to long, i mean procrastinating your harvest.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Caused from very thick buds that can't get light inside the buds due to density. Plants look green because they absorb red light, red light is the most useful wavelength for flowers, as you already know. The parts of the inner flower are not exposed to red light to form chlorophyll that it needs, from the light it absorbs. So you have a inner part that lacks chlorophyll and looks yellow and is still good. Its not mold yet, but can be a good location and turn into mold or bud rot to grow, if one miss-manages their environment. If it turns white and fuzzy leave it alone!!!! 😎

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You have to be careful because it can turn into mold if you allow it to stay on the stem and dry too slow. Overwatering and poor air flow can cause problems in these areas of the colas. Dense yellow parts of the buds need to be trimmed off the stick fast and exposed to the air fast. Mold will grow in those dense areas, and ruin the bud if you don't watch it closely. You can open up a bud while its growing to minimize the bud density. Photos yellow parts and a cola opened up.😎

Attachments

• photo2059499.jpg
    photo2059499.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2059501.jpg
    photo2059501.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2059502.jpg
    photo2059502.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 44

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I picked a drying wet cola to show you what I'm talking about. Enjoy your bud but watch out for white fuzzy stuff.😎

Attachments

• photo2059511.jpg
    photo2059511.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2059512.jpg
    photo2059512.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 49
  • photo2059513.jpg
    photo2059513.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2059515.jpg
    photo2059515.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Look at it with a magnifier to be sure and don't take a chance. Here's some mold on buds to show you what it looks like. If in doubt, throw it out! 😎

Attachments

• photo2059717.jpg
    photo2059717.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2059718.jpg
    photo2059718.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2059719.jpg
    photo2059719.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48

BobChronic6505

How do those infected buds smell?? I made another post on here about it, but I've noticed this rotted pinesol smell in all my plants that r infected by this shit.

Any tips on how to prevent this?

Will a h202 spray kill it? Milk? Any luck with neem?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
How do those infected buds smell?? I made another post on here about it, but I've noticed this rotted pinesol smell in all my plants that r infected by this shit.

Any tips on how to prevent this?

Will a h202 spray kill it? Milk? Any luck with neem?

Grow less dense buds and keep the air dry as possible. Indica buds are more suited for very dry climates. When you grow an Indica in a wetter environment than its suited for, you will have problems. A lot of homegrown breeding by new-comers run into this problem often. That's why the professional breeders, breed Sativa into the Indica's to minimize mold and still get yield. The best way to prevent this, is use seed that are mold resistant seed. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Using less nutrient and giving up the ideal that more nutrients are better, will help with this problem. Most of the talk about hydro nutrients, and mold, are all an indication that "you or me" may be using too much fertilizer with every grow. Cut the nutrients way back, and buy only the best seed and you won't have this problem. Good luck😎

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen that happen.. its from the rate of photosynthesis. it's too slow from lack of light. This is not uncommon. I had some really dense plants that do that. It happens more so under LED. Anywhere there isn't enough light.

Latest posts

Latest posts