What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Late stage bud rot/mold smells

BobChronic6505

Last 2 harvests I've gotten bud rot or mold. I dont believe it was there until the drying process. One thing I've noticed every time, is these buds have a strong lemon pinesol cleaner smell. It happened to 3 totally unrelated strains with completely different smell profiles.

Everything that has that strong lemon pinesol smell has been molded on the inside. When smoking these buds it leaves a film inside the mouth.

Has anyone ever noticed that smell before? What the fuck is it?

Drewsif

Hydroponic likes to mold as you've killed off the plants immune system and taken away its essential fatty acids. Most hydroponic setups allow weird root uptakes when fed soluble phosphorus, probably in a desperately attempt to regain these loses.

You can feed phosphorus hydroponically and instantly taste the fungus in your diseased soil. I tell fake organic grower all the time: "Your bud tastes like soil, you fed the plant when it was unhealthy. Here's what you fed it. Here's why it's unhealthy"

Turns out everyone would rather grow poison than have to learn anything.

Most hydroponic manufacture have added fake weed perfumes to their products in order to combat this anomalous feature of the plant to absorb the flavor of its latest carbon interaction. One of those common fake weed perfumes used is a laughable monoterpene-derived imitation of a common 20th century alkene-thiol-ketone-lactone-indole Cannabis profile. They tried recreating 90s weed with terpenes. And it's disgusting.

Is that what's going on with you? Well 99% of the weed in my state is fucked up in this exact manner.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Last 2 harvests I've gotten bud rot or mold. I dont believe it was there until the drying process. One thing I've noticed every time, is these buds have a strong lemon pinesol cleaner smell. It happened to 3 totally unrelated strains with completely different smell profiles.

Everything that has that strong lemon pinesol smell has been molded on the inside. When smoking these buds it leaves a film inside the mouth.

Has anyone ever noticed that smell before? What the fuck is it?

That there is a good indication you shouldn't be smoking it!

BobChronic6505

Drewsif this has always happened in my coco coir plants, so what u are saying about hydroponics may be true I suppose? I use coco coir, gh 3part, kool bloom, recharge, humid acid. I dont think I'm using anything that alters taste, or anything that is supposed to make plant more terpy.

But the smell in my original post, it is such a sick smell. Like peppery lemons and pinesol but musty like a wet sock. I really was just wondering if anyone else has experienced it and what they thot it was.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It sounds like you don't add any bio-life or run sterile. Leaving things to chance. The coco is a breeding ground if we are not careful.

Most mold inside a bud, gets there as the bud is forming. Plant health holds it at bay, as is nature. Are you withholding food at the end until they look physically ill? That seems a common mistake imo. Trying to fake a plant finishing, by killing it. Leaving it open to attack.
Any spray should be put on, while these bits are accessible. Perhaps at 4 weeks. While silicone to harden the cells should also be present then. As once the buds grown around a covered stem it's lost.
Calcium also toughens stems and shortage signs are not good.
No ill health signs are good.

BobChronic6505

It sounds like you don't add any bio-life or run sterile. Leaving things to chance. The coco is a breeding ground if we are not careful.

Most mold inside a bud, gets there as the bud is forming. Plant health holds it at bay, as is nature. Are you withholding food at the end until they look physically ill? That seems a common mistake imo. Trying to fake a plant finishing, by killing it. Leaving it open to attack.
Any spray should be put on, while these bits are accessible. Perhaps at 4 weeks. While silicone to harden the cells should also be present then. As once the buds grown around a covered stem it's lost.
Calcium also toughens stems and shortage signs are not good.
No ill health signs are good.

What is bio life and can u explain more about sterility??

Yes I did only feed plain water the last 7 days or so. So you believe that weakens the plant when its stressing for nutes, making it more vulnerable?? That makes sense, it's something I'll keep in mind for sure. I could have taken them down a week early also, something g my first moldy crop had in common.....

Is it possible the mold or whatever it is forms during drying??? I've been drying whole plant, first time 14 days, second time 7. I think I'm going to chop all the buds off and dry them on a screen next time to test this theory.

This last time, only coco grown plants were effected, it didnt happen to my promix plants....and tbh my promix plants came out alot better. Any theories or suggestions about that???

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Better plants, more resistance. Seems to follow.
Mold and bacteria is everywhere. All plants live with it, until the end of the season when they loose vigure and the mold wins. It's living on the surface but can't get a foothold usually. Silicon offers no nutritional value, but plants take it in and it hardens them up. Mold at the roots can't get in until the plant is failing. Thing like fusarium will make them fail though, even in peak season. Root intake and the breeding ground pots provide can be treated in one of two ways. One is breeding good stuff in there that will hold the bad stuff at bay. Another is killing everything. There are many bacteria based treatments to water in. The sterile way is usually h2o2 or bleach.

I have organocide. Like many similar sprays, it makes the plant think there is a lot of mold attacking it. So the plants own defenses are turned up a level. It also kills mold on contact. I use this before the buds form. I think it's got a crazy pH that kills the spores on the branches before the bud wraps around them like a wet blanket.

We have rot, which is brown. Plus mold, which is usually white. Mold can grow on what the rot makes. Knowing what you suffer from is useful. I would need to check some sources but I think rot is bacterial and likely coming in at the root. While mold is airborne. So filters on the inlet can be useful.

I have not had to tackle anything serious since raising my game to where I really could. So I don't know a great deal about it. Just the products I see and their modes of action. I have not seen a thread devoted to this most serious of issues.

BobChronic6505

Bush Dr if you mean exhaust fan, yes. Grow temps were from 75 to 82 f, 45% humidity. Nighttime temps were around 68/70 with 55% humidity.

Could this nighttime temperature difference be the culprit?

BobChronic6505

fe they weren't totally brown and rotted, but they weren't perfectly white either. Smell was typical forest floor smell, nothing crazy there.

I use hydroguard in my water res. 4 air stones in there also. Also mammoth p and recharge.

I think I get what you might be getting at....that the infection is root related? Am I correct in thinking that?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Those thick buds that don't get any light inside, due to density, have to be harvested, and taken off the stem right away. I will reduce my water intake and keep the plants thirsty the last couple of weeks and then cut my water completely with large containers. Chop the plants and take the buds off the stem while they are fresh and lay them out to prevent mold. If you try to maintain your watering intake all the way to the end with dense buds during flowering, you will likely see bud rot. Cut the water and cut the buds off the stem fast, and you can harvest nice buds. 😎

BobChronic6505

Creeperpark thanks man I will do this from now on.

Bush dr yes the effected areas are inside the buds. It is not visible to me while plant is growing. I only find it after I've let dry for a few days

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Well that’s botrytis alright, usually caused by humidity and lack of air circulation

A small oscillating fan on a timer every 15 minutes during the dark cycle will stop that

I assume that you’re using an enzyme like Cannzym in the mix, particularly the last weeks

Stripping the buds off will reduce the spread to some extent but you need to stop it starting

BobChronic6505

Bush dr I have 2 little fans up by the hps, and one big ass tower fan on the floor.

This seems to only happen to plants that r too big to hold themselves up. They start falling g over and flopping all over the place so they get propped up along the tent walls

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
They start falling g over and flopping all over the place so they get propped up along the tent walls

They’ll definitely get condensation on them touching the tent, I get it if I allow it to happen

What size tent and lamp?

Any pics?