What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Harvesting Scrog?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I am trying to perfect scrogging of GG4 again after not growing for about 4 years. On second grow and do not think I wove the branches in properly for maximum output. This time I kept weaving until about day 10 of flower, and much did not grow up high enough to get light. Probably just try weaving on day of light flip next time.

Has anyone had luck removing large sun leaves close to harvest, so lower buds get some light???

Is it worth harvesting the top buds, and leaving the lower, maybe going back to late flower feed for a week, then flush again for a week to bulk up and make lower bud worth smoking??

I remove 95% of under growth (under scrog) by 3rd week of flower, but still a lot under sun leaves, just above scrog that are getting no light.

Would removing some buds in crowded areas, early on, pay off by other buds growing bigger??

I am always looking for maximum dried (63%) grams per watt.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have known many people do top's and bottoms. Multi tiered nets to do top middle and bottom used to be spoke of. It's a bit lazy really. If you don't have time to get another crop in, then some more off your current crop is a good thing. Some have even gone 24/7 for 3 days to try and make them younger. It's a dead art though. You pull ahead by doing the work. Get it out, and get another crop in. Just don't grow them bottoms to begin with.

Thinning out is always risky, until you know the plants. Some plants love to grow main heads, so you do well thinning up the canopy for airflow to the fewer bud sites. Other plants bush though. They won't do so well at diverting their energy.

Do any training as early as you can. So it can establish itself. The big suns are often taken late to aid airflow, avoiding rot. It's too late to turn scratch into bud though. If it don't look worthy at week 4, it never will (based on 9-10 weeks).

The value of getting air through your plants can't be overstated. Making the air better with co2 is obviously a thing, but utilising whatever you have is more important than adding co2. So them big fans or thinning out procedures do a lot more than let light in and redistribute growth.

Plants are made with light and air. Only around 10% of a plant is feed. Looking at your grow from this viewpoint can be enlightening

Growenhaft

Is it worth harvesting the upper buds and leaving the lower ones, going back to late flowering maybe a week and then flushing again for a week to fill up and make the lower buds smoke ??/

No, that's not how it works.

when your flower is really ripe at the top, then it has adjusted its nutrient intake accordingly. it will hardly be able to absorb nutrients in a coordinated manner.

If you have successfully flushed your plant, the level of salt in the plant will be low. If you increase the ec value of the medium, it will definitely have a higher salt content than the plant itself.

For plants to absorb nutrients, the salt content in the plant must be higher than in the medium ... they can no longer do that.

The removal of finished buds usually brings a big shock to the plant. at a time at the end of her life ... she has very few options to deal with it. You can only hope for an increase in the growth of immature flowers if you no longer fertilize them ... only work with water. In order for this to work, however, you must not flush too brutally in advance. preferably not at all. It is better to follow the nutrient requirement curve and return early with the Ec value to the level that was good before the initiation of flowering ...

If you can do this well, you will see an increase in the weight of the unripe buds after about 10-15 days. but above all the lower shoots get a lot of resin.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Unfortunately saw last post now. Just cut tops off and a butt load of buds that are pale green. Flushed 2 days with flora kleen. Will try giving them GH ripen mixture for a week and see If they do anything. Looks like extra pound if it works.

Really hate doing chemical extractions, even though I have a lil terp, which I used once several years ago. Could the garbage looking bud be used for rosin using a heat press?

Canopy was dense as hell. Probably need to use fewer plants, or grow them less time. Also maybe a double scrog. I tried to get advice from GG4 growers, but so many have left ICMag (probably from new interface). I had it down perfect, but took off four years and forget schedule and how to do things right. Probably have to stop weaving right when lights are flipped, but supposed to double or triple size. This grow I kept weaving for 2 weeks after light flip. Half the bud was right at the screen level and got no light.