What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long term storage, freeze or refrigerate.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I moved to middle of nowhere, and no longer have friends to help me smoke my bud. When I do google search, I get too many conflicting opinions on freezing or not. Some say all trichomes will fall off. I cure to 63% and let sit in dark for a month. Should I freeze, or refrigerate at 40F???

JustGrowing420

Not a direct answer to your question, but if I had such a problem, I would make the extra weed into hash...
Saves lots of space and stores better over long periods of time as far as I know.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Not a direct answer to your question, but if I had such a problem, I would make the extra weed into hash...
Saves lots of space and stores better over long periods of time as far as I know.

Which method? I should have bought a 15 ton pneumatic all in one rosin press for around $1k a few years ago, but knew i was moving and it weighed 350 pounds. I can not find reasonably priced decent press, looking for months. Have lil terp passive closed loop, but hate working with large quantities of butane. Was a very active thread about BHO disasters a few years ago.

JustGrowing420

Which method? I should have bought a 15 ton pneumatic all in one rosin press for around $1k a few years ago, but knew i was moving and it weighed 350 pounds. I can not find reasonably priced decent press, looking for months. Have lil terp passive closed loop, but hate working with large quantities of butane. Was a very active thread about BHO disasters a few years ago.

Either water/ice or dry sift, depending on work I would like to put in.
Personally I believe there is no need to go to extraction levels greater than hash. Only thing of the other concentrates that I would like to try is rosin and only because it is solventless and said to hold the terps very well.

Also when you say long term, what exactly do you mean? 1-2 years? 5-10?

Loc Dog

Veteran
Either water/ice or dry sift, depending on work I would like to put in.
Personally I believe there is no need to go to extraction levels greater than hash. Only thing of the other concentrates that I would like to try is rosin and only because it is solventless and said to hold the terps very well.

Also when you say long term, what exactly do you mean? 1-2 years? 5-10?

Probably 1 or 2 years, till I use it up. Do you know of a good rosin press (pneumatic).

Loc Dog

Veteran
Thought I would try again, wondering what temperature is best for long term storage. Have in deep freeze at about 10F. Wondering if temp could be raised to save on electric.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Most of what I smoke is a year or two old. Just in the dark at the right RH.
The fridge could be of use I guess, but any chilling will raise RH so it will be a process getting it right. Then when it warms, it will be too dry. So some control in both directions would be needed.
I'm not convinced it's worth the bother. Though around two years old some change in taste is noticeable. Some hash like tones stay around for decades, but some smells are more volatile. There is a constant shift in taste as you cure, that carries on for a few years. At which time I generally give it away, as I find 4-12 months the sweet spot. At 2 years the freshness has gone, but it's not getting peppery yet.

It's a tough call. I might try the fridge if it's going to be 3 years. Just for the year 3 batch. So you can cool it just the once, perhaps using rice or bovida packs to draw the extra moisture out. Then let it warm as you add RO with a spray bottle.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I keep it in jars in the dark. Should be at 55*F, but more like 70. The terps change over time no matter what you do IMO. Maybe store in nitrogen or argon. Butter in the freezer keeps well.

But you are kidding yourself, as you won't stop growing (I bet), and the shit will just keep piling up as the tent makes more.

The downside to the "no sell" part of "no smell, no tell, no smell".

Gry

Consuming some Cindy99 that is about five years old. A treasure well kept.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I must have thrown out several pounds of GG4 that turned dark brown, and friends thought sucked. It was cured to 63% in sealed ziplocks, kept in sealed 5 gallon buckets with HD screw on lids, kept in dark.

Gry

I must have thrown out several pounds of GG4 that turned dark brown, and friends thought sucked. It was cured to 63% in sealed ziplocks, kept in sealed 5 gallon buckets with HD screw on lids, kept in dark.

As I read this one, the thought that came to mind was, how much circumstances do change with the passage of time.
Were we able to put that same cannabis in a time machine and transport it back to the mid seventies,
what would it have retailed for ?

Cuddles

could this have been turned into decent hash or oil?