What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to brick/compress weed? Any advise is greatly appreciated

NeDank

Most of my recent grows have been to further 2 strains I'm working on. These plants all have varying amount of seed needed to be collected after dry. After that is all done. Will a home food savor type thing work well? Currently I store my weed in a dresser in 1 gallon freezer bags. A lot more weed would be able to fit if it were compressed. Are there other ways to make a brick? I toyed with the idea of just sitting on a gallon size freezer bag full of 1 strain.

I honestly do not grow much only about 1lb per run with autoflowers and am coming to the end of breeding time for this year. Next grow after the one that just started will be all bud no seed. Just to test the genetics potential.
100_0894.JPG
100_0895.JPG

Growenhaft

servus,
If you don't care about the quality of the smoke, then of course you can compress it a lot.
saves space, but many trichomes will burst, many terpenes will be lost. mold also makes it more difficult to control. it can grow inside the brick.

and every time you break something down from the brick, you lose a lot of resin dust.
Bricks are for smugglers, if you are already growing your grass yourself, it is better to store it properly.
your plastic bags would be a thorn in my eye. clean manicures, remove all stems and leaves and store the buds in glass or stainless steel,
which can be sealed airtight. this increases the smoke aroma.

excuse me, that is my opinion

...CR500AF...

I would go Hash or oil before i would press the bud.
You can use a large vise with plates bottle jack with a cage as well if you have a shop with one, a truck, car work as well nothing like a good real press to do this with lol...:biggrin:

Last edited:

ProfessorLefty

I compress mine sometimes—once it’s cured, compressing doesn’t seem to affect anything except bag appeal. I compress 7-14g at a time in a jumbo-size pollen press (no heat, just pressure), & store in mason jars with a Boveda 62 and an airtight metal lid, keep dark & cool (like a wine cellar). Lasts for at least a year with minimal terpene loss.

LndRcLvr

When i have lots of tiny bits of weed from a plant, its difficult to dry and cure without becoming bone dry,
In this case compressing them together when fresh or semi-dry helps to slow down the rate of moisture loss and improves the curing of the planty matter. useful if say you have up to an ounce of little bits.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Franco Loja, RIP, one of the members and breeders of Strain Hunters, compressed his weed. He said it released the oils into the weed and preserved the quality longer from saturation. When the trichomes are smashed the oils are released and soaked up by the weed. He swore by it and compressed everything he smoked. He was a good breeder with excellent horticulture talents. He is missed very much.

LndRcLvr

this is what i di with some immature nanda devi i just fenced it in with some 1/2" thick tiles and squashed it down with the end of a 2 x 1 piece of wood
PXL_20231018_163229847.jpg
And this Jack herer i hand wrapped in clingfilm and hand compressed slightly before putting it in the jar to cure.
PXL_20230921_204416275.jpg

If you are storing weed a long time i believe it's a good idea,

cbotany

Franco Loja, RIP, one of the members and breeders of Strain Hunters, compressed his weed. He said it released the oils into the weed and preserved the quality longer from saturation. When the trichomes are smashed the oils are released and soaked up by the weed. He swore by it and compressed everything he smoked. He was a good breeder with excellent horticulture talents. He is missed very much.
When I was in a rush I just vac packed alot of strains after drying, I love the effects, and that is all that matters, Rip Franco.

Prs2xs

For years now, I have used a tool called Jack Puck, which is a bottle jack and a mold that allows you to pack in about 40-45 g per load, and compress with about 2 ton pressure. You end up with 2" square by 3/4" thick "pucks", which I then vacuum seal and store in the freezer. I can pull them out 5 yrs later and they are as good as the day they went in. I use a sharp knife to carve off what I want to roll, and scissor it up, and it burns fantastic. Highly recommended!
Completely solved my previous storage problems- and if you don't freeze the vacuum packs, it carries on a fermentation over time, effectively turning it into something like a cob ( see Tangwena's thread on cobbing)!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
For years now, I have used a tool called Jack Puck, which is a bottle jack and a mold that allows you to pack in about 40-45 g per load, and compress with about 2 ton pressure. You end up with 2" square by 3/4" thick "pucks", which I then vacuum seal and store in the freezer. I can pull them out 5 yrs later and they are as good as the day they went in. I use a sharp knife to carve off what I want to roll, and scissor it up, and it burns fantastic. Highly recommended!
Completely solved my previous storage problems- and if you don't freeze the vacuum packs, it carries on a fermentation over time, effectively turning it into something like a cob ( see Tangwena's thread on cobbing)!
sounds very much like cob.

How do you find the effects of the one's you dont freeze after a year or so?

Have you tried eating any?

Prs2xs

sounds very much like cob.

How do you find the effects of the one's you dont freeze after a year or so?

Have you tried eating any?
Hi Hombre
I don't notice much difference in effect in a 1 yr period, because of the extreme compression, no oxygen or light can cause unwanted changes. Despite being an avid grower for just about 5 decades, I am a lightweight- always have been, and my work situation demands that I can control how long I am going to be tripping, so no, I haven't chewed it because of the duration of the high! I have, however given it to friends to chew, and even at a dose of 50mg has scared some of them off ever chewing again! ( we are all old guys in our 70's)
I alternatively will just take the trimmed buds and put them in a food saver bag and let the vacuum squash it the down to a neat, tight package, and put them into my dehydrator to start the fermentation process, and they come out looking like a homogeneous mass-this has also worked well for storage and effect!
I won't go on about it any more, because I know some of this should be in the cobbing thread!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Hombre
I don't notice much difference in effect in a 1 yr period, because of the extreme compression, no oxygen or light can cause unwanted changes. Despite being an avid grower for just about 5 decades, I am a lightweight- always have been, and my work situation demands that I can control how long I am going to be tripping, so no, I haven't chewed it because of the duration of the high! I have, however given it to friends to chew, and even at a dose of 50mg has scared some of them off ever chewing again! ( we are all old guys in our 70's)
I alternatively will just take the trimmed buds and put them in a food saver bag and let the vacuum squash it the down to a neat, tight package, and put them into my dehydrator to start the fermentation process, and they come out looking like a homogeneous mass-this has also worked well for storage and effect!
I won't go on about it any more, because I know some of this should be in the cobbing thread
Thanks for the reply.

I'm a big fan of cobbing.

How are the frozen ones after a year? I'm guessing that no fermentation can have taken place at that temperature. Have your friends tried rafting any of the frozen "cob"?

Prs2xs

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a big fan of cobbing.

How are the frozen ones after a year? I'm guessing that no fermentation can have taken place at that temperature. Have your friends tried rafting any of the frozen "cob"?
I generally make sure the herb is cured before compressing-but still at about 65% RH (still a bit sticky).
They are as when I compressed them when at the one year mark- They are still the same at the 5 yr mark! I store them in a -40F freezer, and I see no degradation. The other thing is, I don't harvest any amber trichs when I am going to store long term- I feel that harvesting at the early stages of cloudy allows for more unconverted THCa, which, when the herb comes out of the freezer and into an O2 environment, allows for the conversion of the THCa to THC, rather than THC to CBN ( if you get my gist). That way, as it ages outside the freezer, it doesn't lose potency. JMHO
As far as I know, there is no fermentation when in the freezer, any conversion of THCa to THC would have occurred during the curing phase, so one might expect some lesser effect if you were to chew the "uncobbed" product - but the smoke is awesome!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
if you don't freeze the vacuum packs, it carries on a fermentation over time

Water is a byproduct of the biochemical processes which may occur at any point, so you may find it best to allow it to escape. Such processes go much better at a temperature above the typical USA room temp, when light is excluded.

Prs2xs

Water is a byproduct of the biochemical processes which may occur at any point, so you may find it best to allow it to escape. Such processes go much better at a temperature above the typical USA room temp, when light is excluded.
absolutely!

Latest posts

Latest posts