What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about trimming in flower room

Hi guys,
So the way I’ve been trimming the last couple runs has me question if it’s resulting in seeds but I doubt it.

so basically when my plants are ready to trim, regardless if the lights are off, I turn them on and do my thing for a few hours at a time. When I’m done for the day I set the lights to where they were before I started trimming. Example if I go there one day and the plants have just went to sleep 3 hrs ago, I turn them on and trim what I can, then turn the lights back off until they’re scheduled to come back on again. I do this at random for about 5 days. Is there any way I can get herms this locate in flower and have seeds? Because I’ve had them the last two runs and this was the only thing I could think of

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Geez, I was sweating the lights coming on at 20% for a minute or two while I was messing with the timing. I kind hope that Runtz S1 makes a few more seeds, and I found another S1 seed today.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wait, so you are disrupting their night cycle? You turn lights on for hours at a time? They need 12 hours of UNINTERRUPTED darkness. That would 100% cause your problem.

Jerry_Garcia

I try my best to not disturb my ladies night cycle. If I need to get into the room when lights are off, I use a green light headlamp.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Wait, so you are disrupting their night cycle? You turn lights on for hours at a time? They need 12 hours of UNINTERRUPTED darkness. That would 100% cause your problem.

He said he is turning the light on when he is trimming his plants... If he means "trimming mature buds", this isn't the cause...

However if he is talking about trimming leaves and so forth off of his vegging plants and plants that have just been turned down to 12/12, then yes Crooked8, you are absulutely correct..

I may have misinterpreted the time period of his grow cycle that he was describing...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Seeds won't form in 5 days. I'm not sure you could even get pollen in that time.

If it's all year round, it's probably not coming in on the wind. So its hunt the banana time..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
That will stress the plants and may result in hermies. Weird that you had to think about this to figure it out, stuff about light leaks and problems they generate was pretty everywhere when I learned to grow so I would supose it's the same now.

Just to clarify this is at the end of the flower cycle. The buds are ripe and DONE. So at that point I turn the lights off. Then everyday I come in and turn one light on to trim the buds. Usually about 6-8hrs at a times, then i turn the light back off until I come in the next day and repeat this process for about 5 days

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Still counts as stress yet not having time to show nanners I guess makes it ok.
But I think it's bad practice.. what will you do when you have some plants that need harvesting and trimming now, but others plants that are not fully ripen yet? Isn't it better to find another place to trim? Also, growlights will fuck your vision. Trust me on that. Also, I like to dry in the dark, I guess you have your material there when the lights are on and that isn't good as well.
As you can see, that situation is not optimal in any way. Actually, it's far from it.