What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Harvest in the dark? v in the light

mack 10

Veteran
What's up ic fam. Now i've been harvesting just before lights come on for a while now.
but recently watched a podcast (Future Cannabis Project) and one of the speakers
claimed that harvesting with lights on causes the bud to become ,kind of unburnable.
now i'm sure i've harvested with lights on back in the day and can't remember the buds being unburnable?
also, i have come across bud that just didn't want to burn. Which
i had previously thought , was a Nitrogen problem but now...?
(ie, plants not flushed properly or too much N added)

i'm not sure how you can really harvest with no lights on at all
as you would not be able to see. lol
i usually have a small floro / led light to work by,
maybe a green head light might work.

anyone got any thoughts.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Mack how's life?
I didn't know that harvesting with lights on or without lights would make a difference?
Is that a thing?
CC

chusss

Once i readed that harvest with lights off result in a little more already dry buds, cause roots dont drink water at night, and remember something like the thc/resin content is higher

This guy who said of harvest with lights on make buds unburneable seems senseless, im sure most of us harvest with lights on and we have no one problem to burn them properly, am i wrong?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I read a report posted on here a few years ago claiming studies had shown THC levels varied, and were highest at midnight, so I try to harvest around 4-5 hours after lights out. Can't say I've noticed much difference though.

mack 10

Veteran
@ chusss and GMT, i too hard heard various things over the years, had not heard heard about midnight being peak THC.
is very subjective i think.
the guys where i heard the podcast are supposed to be experts.
they do some successful big grows, so some of them must know something.
they also sell lots of herb

in the past i have come across buds that wouldn't burn very well
and did think it was nutrient problem, maybe they are right?
we shall see.
Skunkman, You out there?
I'm sure he would know?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lights out Mac,,,,only a normal bulb is on so I can see ,,,,never cut with lamps on,,,
Hope you and your bro are well,,,s2

Drewsif

Once i readed that harvest with lights off result in a little more already dry buds, cause roots dont drink water at night, and remember something like the thc/resin content is higher

This guy who said of harvest with lights on make buds unburneable seems senseless, im sure most of us harvest with lights on and we have no one problem to burn them properly, am i wrong?

I've put plants in the dark at flip, going into stretch, they'll grow a foot in 3 days of darkness and have permanent white "bleaching" on the new growth. Really makes you rethink what's going on at night..

Anyways
Harvesting doesn't matter anymore. Quality is a market data confirmed myth; weed is supposed to taste like shit, look pretty and not get you high. It's supposed to smell like plastic and bacillus. Legality is helping me figure out all the myths about weed being something desirable to consume.

mack 10

Veteran
Just harvested a few in the dark, at midnight.
we'll see if there was/is any difference.

mack 10

Veteran
Cheers for link,I check it out.

Harvested plants should be dry enough for initial smoke tests..
I know the strain quiet well so can hopefully tell any improvement.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Cannabis plants are very sensitive to light. The logistics of trimming in the dark may stop some growers.

I used to buy 100 green LED strings from China. They lit a room without messing with the 12/12. Rated 110-230v they cooked and failed reliably in 3-4 months. In a 110v country I would buy them again.
Perhaps going in with a green light, to fetch some out, is the key.

My trimming session is an entire day. In the same area they are flowering. I have to have the lights on. I reckon I can tell the difference from prior testing, but only in the flavour, and different but not better as such. I tried to convince others it was better, but the only feedback was that is was nice. As usual. So the actually difference needed a side by side, and someone with a good sense of smell, or a tainted opinion...

moose eater

Cannabis plants are very sensitive to light. The logistics of trimming in the dark may stop some growers.

I used to buy 100 green LED strings from China. They lit a room without messing with the 12/12. Rated 110-230v they cooked and failed reliably in 3-4 months. In a 110v country I would buy them again.
Perhaps going in with a green light, to fetch some out, is the key.

My trimming session is an entire day. In the same area they are flowering. I have to have the lights on. I reckon I can tell the difference from prior testing, but only in the flavour, and different but not better as such. I tried to convince others it was better, but the only feedback was that is was nice. As usual. So the actually difference needed a side by side, and someone with a good sense of smell, or a tainted opinion...

When I'm working with flowering plants in the dark, even just checking moisture, etc., I have an old, decent quality head lamp that I taped green filter/lens material over, and it doesn't disrupt the girls.

When wearing the head lamp, the beam of green light goes in the direction I'm looking, and both hands are free.

I scored a whole roll of the green film material 20-30 years ago, and still have most of it.

The head lamp is a better Black Diamond, which suffered a fractured lens, so I replaced it for outdoor rec purposes, and the one with the fractured lens is the shop headlamp now.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
moose eater
I have something similar. An 'ever-ready energizer' head torch that has both white and red at the flick of a switch. I swapped the red LED for a Green one. As the only hunting I do, is for things I left in the room by mistake :)

Filtering white light isn't as effective as our eyes think. Many used painted lamps then claimed green light wasn't an option. They probably used 100s though. Not a head lamp. I have 15w equivalent 'golf ball' lamps in green. Used to replace ceiling lights in rooms. Using green LEDs they don't do much beyond 555nm. It's surprising how well we can see with them. They really are one of the best value grow room mods you can do. We all find ourselves scheduling our lives around when the lights are on. For just a couple of quid, we don't have to. In dire emergencies, such as water leaks or extraction system failures, you could have to hermi a whole room without something like a green lights.

Got Samsung? *#0*# green. However, it's still a white backlight and you don't get long. Tapping to keep active, can suddenly leave you with it lit up white. It's good for a quick look though, when caught out at a friends who has no green light.

mack 10

Veteran
It's hard to quantify.
the harvest has come out very nice as expected
But I can't really say that harvesting in the dark actually made it any better.
More testing, side by sides needed.
First impressions are good.
Keeping the temps down is a major factor here too.

Latest posts

Latest posts