What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If anybody is looking for curing tips, the biggest one I would give is this- Don't trim your plant in any way when you harvest it. Just cut it down at the base, and hang it upside down whole.
Doing this has improved my curing more than anything else, besides finding this very helpful thread in the first place.

watts

ohms
Veteran
In my climate I dry whole plant upside down anywhere from 5-10 days and then trim it. Turns out good and usually in the 55-60% range. When I first started growing, drying/curing was one of the trickiest parts to get right. This thread is gold for new growers or anyone having trouble with drying/curing.

LostTribe

Premium user
Recently decided to give this method a try. I dried as usual but after final trim put the bugs into paper bags for a few days. Buds are fully seeded. I put them into jars without much room left and put my new caliber IV in. I am sitting at 55% with a few already! I had already added 62% bovedas. Are the jars just not airtight at all? They are Ball. I haven't used jars for every. Seeds are dry except for the non mature a few are wet. Buds are sticky feel too wet/sticky to break up.

What is the lowest RH% that the buds will still cure at? I have read 55% ones on 57 another on 62. How long do I need to leave the meter in the jar?

the 55% has been over 24 hrs no opening. Temp is 71.

Like I mentioned this round they got fully seeded up as I was waiting on the male's cutting to root.

Thanks
LT

White Beard

Sounds like you dried them unevenly, and you haven’t read the thread.

As far as the lowest RH at which the curing process will continue to completion is one of those science questions that didn’t come with money, so pretty sure that science hasn’t been done.

You’re cruising on the edge of overdrying them from your report, that’s why jarring when RH is in the 60-67% range is advised: once they’re ‘too’ dry, it’s too late to cure them any further. Adding the Bovida pack at jarring was probably a mistake, but you’ll find out.

Remember to tell us how it turns out.

LostTribe

Premium user
Sounds like you dried them unevenly, and you haven’t read the thread.

As far as the lowest RH at which the curing process will continue to completion is one of those science questions that didn’t come with money, so pretty sure that science hasn’t been done.

You’re cruising on the edge of overdrying them from your report, that’s why jarring when RH is in the 60-67% range is advised: once they’re ‘too’ dry, it’s too late to cure them any further. Adding the Bovida pack at jarring was probably a mistake, but you’ll find out.

Remember to tell us how it turns out.

THey Reek right now wondering if the seeds are messing with the readings?

How do you know when they are at 60-67% when they are still hanging? That seems to be my issue....

Best,
LT

White Beard

Can’t really see how the seeds themselves would ‘mess with it’, although I imagine they will slow down the cure, as they will be the last things to dry.

As for telling the RH in your drying room, you *did* say you have at least one of the Calibers - why not use that? It has a magnet, stick it to something about halfway up the far wall from the door (making sure air intake isn’t blowing on it), and just check it every time you go in?

LostTribe

Premium user
Can’t really see how the seeds themselves would ‘mess with it’, although I imagine they will slow down the cure, as they will be the last things to dry.

As for telling the RH in your drying room, you *did* say you have at least one of the Calibers - why not use that? It has a magnet, stick it to something about halfway up the far wall from the door (making sure air intake isn’t blowing on it), and just check it every time you go in?

I normally hang them in a closet and not usually airtight etc. This time I did put them in paper sacks for a few days 3-4 flapped over after 5 days hanging. I did have a fan blowing indirectly. Probably just should have done like usual but I was about to leave town for 4 nights, otherwise I wouldn't have done the bags or fan.

The C99 is sitting at 62% and a couple others are at 57%.

So please verify if 55% is the point of no return? Will they continue to cure at 57 or is it too close?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
This is from post 1. Hope it helps.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.
[/FONT]

White Beard

Just a random note about curing:

Lots of folks in this thread are in too big a hurry. They dry too far, they dry too fast.

Once they get their buds in a jar, they open the jars too often, leave the jars open too long, spread the buds out on a table for an hour....

It’s a natural process, and you can’t hurry it any more than you can hurry your birthday, or make a steak cook faster without ruining it. You open the jars to let fresh air replace some of the humid air, then you close them back up. Do it again the next day. The lower the jar humidity gets, the longer you can wait between openings.

Curing isn’t about drying, drying is about *curing* - achieving the final product, so to speak - and while the degradation of chlorophyll occurs during the cure, that’s only one of the effects: the texture of the buds changes, and there are other aspects to the curing action that combine to enhance the flavor, the aroma, the burn, and the high.

All part of this nutritious breakfast....

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
After the cure, what % do you all like to smoke at? I feel like in the spring and summer I can never get a good bong hit because I can never get it dry out completely.

I don't like smoking it at 65%. I ordered some Boveda 49% I'll try out. Got smaller ones so I can put in head stash jar.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I never let mine get below 65% until I am ready to smoke/vape it.

65% is great for vaping and joints. As for pipes and bongs, I often grind enough for the day and put it in my bubble box. It dries out pretty fast, depending on the time of year and the amount of humidity in the house.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Your 10 oz. aren't ruined..

Granted, it is pretty dry...It will grind easy and come out of your grinder easily...
The joints you roll will tend to spill a little out the ends as you roll...

But 52% is not ruined... It will still burn pretty well without being too harsh..

Of course, it will not cure anymore, and you need to be sure it does not dry out anymore or you will end end up with a lot of powdery dust shake...

igrowone

Veteran
it was a ways back
but there was some discussion about where the magic number was for the bottom
a few of us had some good results below 55%
i normally do keep it in the 60%+ range
but the lower 50s seem to have some promise
55 is a very round number, most physical processes don't fall cleanly on such neat numbers
and i would suspect not all buds are the same

Drewsif

Definitely not but numbers on a screen can always trump reality if you aren't willing to observe it. The modern rendition of the human mind has collectively made his choice to do things by the book rather than by reality.

That's why I hate numbers. They have replaced reality. Soon drag races will take place on the dyno.. Hopefully I'll be on Mars with Elon by then.