What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've always been able to just wing it and jar cure my weed. But when I first started I let some mold on accident. But after a few years of learning I've got it down. I'm a bit older but I'm really considering trying one of these things.....it's always good to expand on your ways if someone shared the knowledge that's so helpful. What exactly are those things called again??? I'm gonna look on Amazon.....sorry I didn't read all pages either lol.

Dirt Bag

For some odd reason, this reminds me of an article I read in Reason years back, which made the argument that Windows being the most installed OS was therefore proved to be the best IN FACT....

If you want to dry until 65% then drop a boveda pack in the jar and call that cured, I’m sure many will agree with you.

As I have not tried it, I couldn’t possibly comment.

We use 62%, ideal for cannabis. Did side by side with "the old fashioned way". Boveda wins hands down. It also lasts a long, long time.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Didn't read all 263 pages, but enough to see a pattern of negativity toward Boveda I feel is misplaced. This product is to curing cannabis what timers are to indoor growing. It should have been invented by Ron Popeil for it truly is the "Set it and Forget it" of curing. If you're not using them it's either because you're cheap, uneducated, or have stake in the competition... Which by this thread is apparently tedious, manual labor.
The beauty of science is that it works whether you believe in it or not. - NdT

Your first post on a thread that's over 250 pages, and you come on here acting like, 'you all are stupid, my way's the best way.'

So good luck with that.

I personally think Bovedas suck, but that's beside the point.

Dirt Bag

Your first post on a thread that's over 250 pages, and you come on here acting like, 'you all are stupid, my way's the best way.'

So good luck with that.

I personally think Bovedas suck, but that's beside the point.

What does the number of pages have to do with anything? Boveda isn't "my way". I didn't invent them. I never said anything like "you all are stupid" but I did read a lot of ignorant, unfounded statements about Boveda that I felt deserved retort. Tell me Jellyfish, why do you think Boveda sucks? Is it the convenience? Perhaps you sell hygrometers. No? Hmm. Well, you go right on burping jars, Chief. But 'round here, in the immoral words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That".

THC123

Veteran
Well I also think they suck. I love the idea but up to now haven't had succes with them.

I have them at home, but up to now in all side by sides the jars with boveda lost as far as smell and taste are concerned. It is really smooth with the boveda packs I must admit, smoother than without. But something just seems "off" with the weed in the boveda jars. I will keep experimenting with them as I really like the concept, but I am not convinced.

I also googled it and it seems I am not the only one with this problem

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
What does the number of pages have to do with anything? Boveda isn't "my way". I didn't invent them. I never said anything like "you all are stupid" but I did read a lot of ignorant, unfounded statements about Boveda that I felt deserved retort. Tell me Jellyfish, why do you think Boveda sucks? Is it the convenience? Perhaps you sell hygrometers. No? Hmm. Well, you go right on burping jars, Chief. But 'round here, in the immoral words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That".

"If you're not using them it's either because you're cheap, uneducated, or have stake in the competition... Which by this thread is apparently tedious, manual labor."- Pardon me for paraphrasing, but yeah, you basically called everybody on this thread stupid.

I'm not gonna tell you why Bovedas suck because, a) I don't want to talk to you anymore, and b) if you're happy with your results, then good for you.

I just think your attitude sucks. p.s.- perhaps you sell Bovedas, lol.

Dirt Bag

"If you're not using them it's either because you're cheap, uneducated, or have stake in the competition... Which by this thread is apparently tedious, manual labor."- Pardon me for paraphrasing, but yeah, you basically called everybody on this thread stupid.

I'm not gonna tell you why Bovedas suck because, a) I don't want to talk to you anymore, and b) if you're happy with your results, then good for you.

I just think your attitude sucks. p.s.- perhaps you sell Bovedas, lol.

This is because you apparently don't understand the difference between uneducated (ignorance) and stupidity. I simply meant that those not using them likely haven't learned of their existence. Of course, stupid people often take offense with the insinuation of ignorance due to their limited intellect and lack of education. The attitude to which you refer was sarcasm and humor that was, perhaps, slightly too gritty. However, I stand by my assertion that the automation and convenience Boveda provides, along with the added long-term storage ability far surpasses any jar burping. Happy burping, bud.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Anyone tried the Boveda 58% packs? I think these would be better than 62. I didn't care much for the 62% myself. Everyone's personal preference I suppose.

SuperBadGrower

Don't you hate it when someone comes in and doesn't report back with some new findings. Well here I am with an update (see page 260). Around that time I got the jars down to 55% from 60% in 1 go and let the buds sit there. There was an improvement. The buds still don't reek as dank as they could, but have a subtle smell and flavor. Now it's a pretty lovely smoke. Potency is definitely there, masked previously by the relative wetness.

Moral of the story: don't jar that shit too wet, sample it first, dry trim (for me). I was stupid enough to think that weed needed curing to be smokable/enjoyed (thanks, stoner sciene), so I never sampled that batch or the previous one. I just foolishly relied on my patience. Now I know from experience that a good plant is already delicious when it has been dried properly. I sacrificed a few branches but I'm glad I did. I'll recommend every newbie here reading this to chop some branches in week 8 or 9 (assuming 11 week flower) and fuck around with it. You are as stupid as I am if you don't experiment.

I will just dry it to where I would smoke it and toss it in jars. If your ambient RH is below 50% dont delay it too long and if your RH is above 65 get a dehumidifier. It's actually so simple. I was too new to realize it. What "slow dry" means is not to put it in your jars wet or almost-dry and have it slowly dry in there. I thought this was the best way because "slower is better". What it means is "not-too-fast dry". Like if your ambient RH is 20% your plants would dry way too fast. If you just hang a plant at some recommended RHs thats all you need to do and it will be the "slow dry". Correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I see it now.

Think about it, if your ambient RH is always 60%, and you jar your weed at any point after it has stabilized in that humidity (lets say 10-14 days), and you jar it inside that room, how could the air in the jar get any different from 60%? How is it possible to overdry if your ambient RH is always 60? It isn't. The jar is just an airtight room where you can kinda capture a certain humidity. I think it's no different from just laying your weed in a normal room with stable RH and temperature (which not everybody has hence the jarring).

Well those are just my thoughts after trying some things and reading everyone's opinions. I'm just a beginner with 3 harvests so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm just relieved, it feels no longer like a mystery to me thanks to some experimentation and your valuable opinions.

TruffleButler

According to Douglas Curtis 3/4 of people's taste buds are retarded so if 3/4 of growers eventually go to moisture packs that would make sense.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
According to Douglas Curtis 3/4 of people's taste buds are retarded so if 3/4 of growers eventually go to moisture packs that would make sense.
Facts tend to suck, because they don't care what we think. The 3/4' of the popuulation having poor taste is a good thing, since it's impossible to create the ultimate taste sensations on the earth for **everyone**. :) It's nice a lot of people really can't tell the difference. :)

There are pros and cons to everything, including sensitivity to taste and smell. :tiphat:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Listen boys... Why dont y'all moisture pack boys go start your own damn thread... The is a method that requires skill and a sharp eye... If you use packs fine... Go use them and be satasified with your product... Personally ill use the skills I have painfully learned... Fuck a mosture pack... You can't tell me adding a pack adds quality or anything else...quality is I the skill of the grower and the genetics of the plants.. Period Nuff Said..

SuperBadGrower

Hey, I'm back with another result :).
After my little trouble with a previous harvest where I turned my absolute dank weed into no-smell crap. Thanks very much for your help in this thread, it has been super informative.

I'm a little over 2 months after my last harvest and I've achieved the highest quality I've ever grown. My friends and co-smokers all agree so it's not just my wishful thinking. Well, I'm waaay too self-critical for that anyway. This weed would be gone in a day if I were selling any.

I have the weed that I want, that everybody wants, of the highest quality. But I didn't really follow any of the common instructions. I did jar it up and pay attention to RH.

Fan leaves taken off, it was left hanging in a room at 50-60% RH for 15-17 days. The sugar leaves were perfectly crispy and snapping off, stems snapped. Buds snapped. The buds smoked delicious. The main stems never snap in my RH. I have a 4 month old main stem right here next to me that still does not snap. It bends and cracks at 90 degrees. I put the buds in jars with a hygrometer and never burped them. The hygrometer read 51% a month ago and still does today.
When I want to smoke weed I take something out of the jar and smoke it. I just opened a jar that was closed for 6 weeks since I put those buds in there and it's perfect. It smells as violent as it ever did. It crumbles well and is not emaciated or dried out or whatever. It's dense, sticky and smelly, resinous. It's everything I want and more.

The other batch was more moist in the jar. When I aired it out and dropped it to 51% it got DRY, as people have said. Dusty, too dry (but it improved the smoke for me). Now this batch has been at 51% since forever and it is COMPLETELY different. Smoke-dry but dank, it's just perfect. The other stuff almost turns to powders when you squeeze it, these are hard dense nugs. So I guess one RH% can have not just slightly different results but radically different.

What really matters of course is the moisture content IN the bud. And thats what most of us cannot measure because I think it costs a fortune to do that. Yes, weed is like a sponge and it works interestingly with the relative humidity... but it's not the be all end all.

Guess I'm saying what has already been said some time, and what most of you guys have learned already. Such as not to jar it too wet. I've had good results and bad results before but always wondered about the whyness of it and there is very interesting discussion here.

Here at this time mark is something you guys will probably enjoy listening to. A phd in plant science who works with cannabis talking about curing.

https://youtu.be/xC7t4htH_ZE?t=3353

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks, Good stuff!

After all these years drying to a 'crack,' I'm finding the same you are. It's looking like the best way is to keep it closed up with gentle air flow, while keeping the RH at the point you want to jar at. 2 weeks is about right, depending on temp.

I'm looking to build a small humidistat/fan combo for a drying box. Only kicks on to add lower RH air if the RH goes above 62%, then slowly down to 55% (my favorite for most stuff in a jar). :)

Latest posts

Latest posts