What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

rrog

Veteran
1/2 the jars are under 65%, the others are 66% and 67%. Much less hay smell, definitely improving smoke. Great fun. The hygrometers + the Simon Method are working out extremely well.

Chronic777

Simon, i got my little hygrometers from japan this morning, they are nice & small and seem very reliable so far, they matched up to my other hygrometer, the temp was a bit higher, but given that they are black & i tested them under a HPS light id say ill allow the black hygrometer to be 1c higher ;)

My jars are all sitting at 69%, a couple at 74%
Letting the 74%'s breathe now for 20 minutes, they are STINKING!!!
Gonna keep the 69ers sealed until the morning as the buds felt crispy when i burped

I got one question, how much better does the flavour really get thorugh a cure?

djslife

In essence, one should jar the product right before the stems begin to snap. If you read through the thread, you'll come across several descriptions of the process. Post back if you have questions. Good luck.

Simon
Yea I ended up finding my answer a little while after I posted that.

Thank you,

-djslife

rrog

Veteran
After a decent cure period an RH levels between 60% and 65%,I'd like to pull a partial vacuum and store long term.

How long is a decent cure period? 30 days? 60?

HookNLine

This thread is nice! Im going to try this in a week. Question what should my rh % be in my drying room while i am drying before going into the jar?

delerious

Thanks Simon, I jarred mine a little sooner than I normally do. RH was 78% the first day, so I took them out and brown bagged them for about 10-12 hours before putting them back in jars. Dropped to upper 60's after that. A few burps later and I'm sitting at 59%.

Chem&M

After a decent cure period an RH levels between 60% and 65%,I'd like to pull a partial vacuum and store long term.

How long is a decent cure period? 30 days? 60?

I think this is probably subjective to strain. I have some that have been just sitting at 61% for 2 weeks that are just starting to get nice. I would say to go as long as needed on any strain.

30 s nice, 90 is ideal about.

When you refer to "burping" the jars, does that mean just opening them for a specific time period or is there something else I should be doing to burp them properly?

Thanks!

Another questions about drying, when I have trimmed and hung up to dry on the stems, the stems they are being hung on are obviously too big to put in a jar or bag so my question is, when they're dry enough to be put into jars is there any special way to cut the individual nugs off the main stem, the stem that they're being hung up to dry by or do you just cut at the base of the bud.
I have some decent purple kush for my first grow but don't want to screw up this final stage. I got the hygrometer and 100X microscope to check the trich's as well.

Chronic777

You can get airtight spaghetti jars so they can fit a 30cm stem in there :)

But watch out for mold, and make sure to put hygrometers in like the OP says!
This pic is before i got my hygrometers & i lost one of those huge buds, infact the biggest bud i had, to mold
So make sure to get the hygrometers in the jars ;)

picture.php

On a side note im leaving my jars at 69/70% i feel comfortable with that, if they creep above 70% i open them for a while until they drop back to 69%
I read somewhere last night that mold starts to develop at 75%

To the OP, i presume you've said that you want it below 70% because in the past you've got mold at +70% right?

VAtransplant

I've been too broke to take the plunge and order one of these things- saw the hong kong ones but knew it wouldn't come in time for this harvest, so i've decided to wing it with great results thus far.

Read this entire thread, and any thread that returned results "hay" for answers. Living in the west I assumed 20% humidity inside would affect how quickly things dried meaning that the second the outsides were crispy last batch I jarred them up, burped once a day for a few minutes - but it was always just foul hay smelling from the second all those buds spent a day together in a sealed container.

This time, I waited until the outsides were crisping up. Then, the difference? I waited another 18 hours..

All the product I did like this (aka wait for crispy, then keep waiting) has now been in a jar for 2 days and is smoking better than last batch did after 3 weeks in a jar. The smoke itself smells great unlike crap weed previously.. breaking it apart it's obvious it retained it's essence.. and the outside smells more like faint honeysuckle than anything hay like / grass clippingly - will undoubtedly improve a little.

I also left more leaf on my buds this time, I didn't really even try for the commercial style clip of cutting leaves flush. Snipped off anything that wasn't straight fuzzy with crystals.. but any super sugary leaf is still intact. May have helped the drying slow down or kept some of that sweetness inside like people claim it does.

Chronic777

Its never too late to get the hygrometers, i got mine two weeks after harvest & they're still helping me loads...
I can't beleive i didn't think of this method myself!

Chronic777

What do you think is the best lambsbread cross?

I got a few 'sharksbreath' free when i ordered my lemon haze seeds...
Isit worth popping them?

I wasn't considering it until i saw they are a lambsbread cross
They finish in 8 weeks so might give em a go at the start of autumn, get my eye back in... ;)

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I'm very happy that folks are seeing positive results.

I received the 3 small, inexpensive, Ebay digital hygrometers from Hong Kong a couple of days ago and immediately popped them into a jar of curing product with a calibrated Caliber. Two of the three read one percentage point higher than the Caliber, and the third reads 2 points higher. Not bad, really, especially for how little they cost. Considering their convenient size, they're an option.

Simon

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
What do you think is the best lambsbread cross?

I got a few 'sharksbreath' free when i ordered my lemon haze seeds...
Isit worth popping them?

I wasn't considering it until i saw they are a lambsbread cross
They finish in 8 weeks so might give em a go at the start of autumn, get my eye back in... ;)

Sounds great indeed, i know a subcool cross have some lambsbread in it, don't if its jack the ripper? Good luck with them Chronic, and of course with the curring :)

:tiphat:

Chronic777

I'm very happy that folks are seeing positive results.

I received the 3 small, inexpensive, Ebay digital hygrometers from Hong Kong a couple of days ago and immediately popped them into a jar of curing product with a calibrated Caliber. Two of the three read one percentage point higher than the Caliber, and the third reads 2 points higher. Not bad, really, especially for how little they cost. Considering their convenient size, they're an option.

Simon

Strange, i've tested mine against a couple of other hygrometers & they match up, although they take a good 3/4 hours to really match up 100%, before that they were a few % higher like you say.

I suppose if they do generally measure a few points higher, thats gotta be a good thing really, well better than reading too low & risking mold ;)

I love how everyday my buds are slowly compacting, becoming more shiny, smelling sweeter...

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Strange, i've tested mine against a couple of other hygrometers & they match up, although they take a good 3/4 hours to really match up 100%, before that they were a few % higher like you say.

All hygrometers sat in the jar for ~36 hours.

Simon