What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Garden Groom = A trimming machine for 3 pymts of $33 ???

P

Peat

cant wait to actually see someone trim a damn bud !
:drum:

:kos:

[in my english junkyard wars accent] ....

Attention Stoners: you have 1 day, I repeat 1 day before your time is up!

SUCCESS!!! :jump:
I fluffed out the leaves a bit & cut a couple of slots
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The majority of the trim ended up on the floor. LOL

Got some more tweaking to do...

Last edited:
Dang Peat beat me to the first official trim pic!!!!:laughing:

By the way I ended up using zip ties on both triggers so it turns on when you plug it in and you have both hands free to trim....

Alrighty, first for those that like to just cut to the pics for the internet fun of it, here we go.... Feedback is afterwards for those of you that wanna read on...

Here we have some Romulators SSH.... Not I did take off the big 4 or so fan leaves before she met the Garden Groom....

picture.php

A little twirling and guiding over the trimmer...

picture.php

A little more turning and guiding....
picture.php

Now for my initial impressions of Operation Enterprise take 1...........

1.....Out of the grate I've been using the part cut into larger straighter lines is the only part worth messing with....I will open up the other half or fashion a new grate...I think mine can be fine if we take care of other factors.....

2....air flow...As Peat mentioned not all of his trim went in the collector...I haven't used one of the "real" weed trimmers, but I'm gonna take a guess that they have significant cfm's pulling that shit into the collector??? I'm considering hooking up an old squirell cage fan to help pull stuff into the collection area, but will that mess up my fan? Are there fan made to take stuff through them??? I feel like more airflow being sucked down into the trimmer would help pull everything through, and pull attached fan leaves that need to be trimmed down towards the blade...There's not enough of that suction going on IMO...There were a few times I really had to push the bud down onto the grate to get a trim leaf to the blade where I wanted it...

3. I want more airflow and the grate a little closer to the blade, I think...Considering cutting out the two stock grates on the side to reduce that gap, or using a finer grate like Peat, but maybe a little wider and with the whole thing cut to parallels....

The gap and grate are easy for different folks to mess with and try different options... I'm thinking that lack of strong airflow in is the biggest obstacle to overcome right now to make this better....

Sorry if this was rambling, these are my iniital thoughts after the first test.....

Gonna chill tonight, read your input, work on my other DIY project that I set aside once the mailman came, and decide what to try tomorrow....

P

Peat

"must spread rep..."
You know the deal!

BIG :respect: to you, simple green!
That looks like a very fine trim job.

I think we got us a couple of nice trimmers! :yes: :D

Last edited:
G

Greyskull

looking about right
glad its working

how loud is it?

i think the cfms come with the noise with the trimbox....

Hey thanks I wanted some feedback from somebody that's used one...

It's not that loud...about the volume of my Shop Vac, give or take...I'd take more noise and more airflow if I could get it...

I really might try that squirrel cage tomorrow.....

Hmmm a shop vac??

G

Greyskull

volume of a shop vac?
thats less noise than a gas lawn mower for sure hahaha

Hey Globel...you talking about the bottom right picture with the lady with no but.... the tube and bag?

Thats what I have, but it doesn't have any extra vacuum suction with it....I just cut the cloth tube short so it's not like 10 feet long

I just played with it some more....

Some parts of the face do have some vacuuming effect and some parts definitely do not so the cutting area is reduced from the beginning and the vacuuming effect isn't great..

The videos I watch make it seem like with the expensive trimmers theres so much suction that the fan leafs find the blade without effort and you just kinda spin the bud around and the trimmer does the rest......This is not the case with this thing as it is now....

(as it is now) Before you put that bud away and call it trimmed, you gotta take a look at it and make sure it's all good and maybe really push a section of a bud into the grate to force it to get trimmed off...I got a little better at getting most of it off in decent time once I found the right parts of the grate surface that got a little vacuuming effect....

I'm not anal at all with my trimming and nobody in my neck of the woods is gonna complain about any homegrown trimmed too much or too little......that's why I was happy to try this out and figured I could make it work for my needs and I think I still can....

I can get the grate closer to the blade or find a material that is a little bit wider, but i'm not sure about getting that strong suction effect that takes the fan leaf to the blade effortlessly...

I may still try hooking up the fanand seeing what that does..

I think I was able to do the type of trim job I showed in my last pic in less time then by hand and can get quicker with a few tweaks, but it's not going to be what you're looking for if you're looking to trim 10 lbs a wek....

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
First off...great job guys :yes:

SG, I was thinking about the lack of vacuum effect you mentioned...is there any room on the motor side of the apparatus to fit a reducer of some sort to increase suction across the screen/point of cutting ?

Almost like a venturi vacuum effect...

Some flexible "plastic", in the shape of a cone, with a rubber seal type deal ?

Sorry for just throwin chit out there mang, without having the thing right in front of me, my back-yard engineering skillz just ain't the same :laughing:

The inline fan is probably the way to go if additional vacuum is needed...

Nice work again fellas :yes:

Peace,

Gro :joint:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
From what I can see, you're 88% there.....the suction is prolly the only thing lacking as well as possibly modifications to the existing grates.
With the Trimpro...you can actually increase or decrease the suction by changing the angle of blade inclination.....it creates a vacuum just by virtue of the airflow.....
With those blades...they seem rather flush.....not like propellers which is what the TP blades are like.
IMHO the suction is the thing that pulls off your crystals. Honestly I try not to get my buds all sucked up into my Trimp. I just roll 'em gentle around the surface real quick...take off most of the nasties and I'm good to go. I don't need some picture perfect nug.....nobody is gonna do any bitchin' when it all goes up in smoke the same way!
You guys are right about this thing not being a high volume trimmer, but if you're yanking 10lbs+....you aren't making a DIY trimmer to start with. You're buying a convenience item that can be rationalized by the shear amount of capital made in your harvest.
This on the other hand seems like a perfectly reasonable alternative for small to moderate sized closet grows.....other sorts of personal grows....etc.

Heck, if I hadn't already sprung for something already....I'd be trying this jimmy out. Keep on keepin' on....this thread has evolved pretty quickly and it's chock fulla good suggestions and nuggets of wisdom! This is what a place like IC mag is all about....look at all you stoners getting together and pumpin' out new tek!! Awesome-O!

Keep on F.U.C.K.I.N. around!!! :friends:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey looks like you guys have made some big progress... peat, good job with trimming the bud before SG! SG, good job with the clean trim... looks like wet bud would be the best to trim with this doohicky, as im sure it is best to trim wet with any doohicky..

i can understand the vacuum effect causing a problem, but not too much of a problem, for there seems to be many things to do such as hooking up a shop vac, or perhaps a inline/squirrel blower..

i wonder what type of time difference you would have in comparison to hand trimming versus garden grooming versus trim pro'ing? i know there surely is a price difference...

anyways, we are still in beginning testing phases here, and im SURE someone will come up with a way to make everyone happy with this garden groomer modification...

i have been scouting out EBAY and I REALLY want to take a stab at this...

thanks for showin off your work gentleman

L

LolaGal

I have an old electric fan with a big grill from the 1940s.

It will cut a finger off.

Why not try one of these type fans? Cut from the back side of the fan?

Just a stoned thought on the subject. I can find a pic somewhere of one, but ya'll know what I mean? One of those desk fans that can oscillate from 1940s or something?

They are wicked sharp. My Grandma would get mad at us kids for putting crayons in there while it was running and cutting them in half.

I think it might just work, especially on fresh picked buds and fan leaves?

What ya'll think?

I have an old electric fan with a big grill from the 1940s.

It will cut a finger off.

Why not try one of these type fans? Cut from the back side of the fan?

What ya'll think?

I've considered that....I've also considered taking apart a string trimmer (weedwacker) and modifying it....

P

Peat

I just played with it some more....

(as it is now) Before you put that bud away and call it trimmed, you gotta take a look at it and make sure it's all good and maybe really push a section of a bud into the grate to force it to get trimmed off...I got a little better at getting most of it off in decent time once I found the right parts of the grate surface that got a little vacuuming effect....

That's how I did mine. But, I didn't notice the difference in airflow.

I'm not anal at all with my trimming and nobody in my neck of the woods is gonna complain about any homegrown trimmed too much or too little......that's why I was happy to try this out and figured I could make it work for my needs and I think I still can....

AbsoF.U.C.K.I.N.lutely!

I can get the grate closer to the blade or find a material that is a little bit wider, but i'm not sure about getting that strong suction effect that takes the fan leaf to the blade effortlessly...

I may still try hooking up the fan and seeing what that does..

I think I was able to do the type of trim job I showed in my last pic in less time then by hand and can get quicker with a few tweaks, but it's not going to be what you're looking for if you're looking to trim 10 lbs a wek....

I like iGro's idea that the bag is a vac....maybe hook a shop vac to the hose?
Honestly tho, I'm not looking to plug in another thing in, just to run this thing.

Earlier, I was thinking outside the box,
when I thought to put it in a box...

Like a big, clear rubbermaid bin.
With arm holes cut in the side...

I dunno...just throwing it out there...

============================================
Thanks, iGro!
You've been throwing ideas from the beginning! :respect:
I'd like to see you get one! I bet you could show us a thing, or 2...

============================================
From what I can see, you're 88% there.....
the suction is prolly the only thing lacking as well as possibly modifications to the existing grates.
:yes:

With the Trimpro...you can actually increase or decrease the suction by changing the angle of blade inclination.....it creates a vacuum just by virtue of the airflow.....

With those blades...they seem rather flush.....not like propellers which is what the TP blades are like.

IMHO the suction is the thing that pulls off your crystals. Honestly I try not to get my buds all sucked up into my Trimp.

I noticed the propeller look & wondered WTF.
Makes sense now, considering suction.
And, yes. The GG blades are relatively flat

I just roll 'em gentle around the surface real quick...take off most of the nasties and I'm good to go.

I don't need some picture perfect nug.....
nobody is gonna do any bitchin' when it all goes up in smoke the same way!

Xactly! :headbange
Good to know!

You guys are right about this thing not being a high volume trimmer, but if you're yanking 10lbs+....you aren't making a DIY trimmer to start with. You're buying a convenience item that can be rationalized by the shear amount of capital made in your harvest.
This on the other hand seems like a perfectly reasonable alternative for small to moderate sized closet grows.....other sorts of personal grows....etc.
Heck, if I hadn't already sprung for something already....I'd be trying this jimmy out. Keep on keepin' on....this thread has evolved pretty quickly and it's chock fulla good suggestions and nuggets of wisdom! This is what a place like IC mag is all about....look at all you stoners getting together and pumpin' out new tek!! Awesome-O!

Keep on F.U.C.K.I.N. around!!! :friends:

BIG Thanks Ax! :respect:

=============================================
... we are still in beginning testing phases here, and im SURE someone will come up with a way to make everyone happy with this garden groomer modification...

:yeahthats

i have been scouting out EBAY and I REALLY want to take a stab at this...

thanks for showin off your work gentleman

&, Thank YOU, LiL WaynE for the kick in the ass! :respect:

I'd love to see more of these trimmers! And, their different mods
If anybody makes one, please post a pic here!

=====================================

Yeah, I know what you're talking about Lola!
I bloodied a thumb in one like that looong ago. :D

:chin: You might be on to something...

==================================

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement & ideas along the way!
BIG :respect:

Keep checking back.
More to come...

Last edited: