What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Garden Groom = A trimming machine for 3 pymts of $33 ???

P

Peat

We shall see, Carboy! :joint:
I'm still VERY interested.
& Stoned Teacher is already running with the idea! :headbange

P

Peat

picture.php

This is a pic from Trim Pro.
The blade guard seems duplicatable...:chin:

I wonder if the Garden Groom will have any issues with operating face up, like that??? :confused:

P

Peat

I dunno...the more I look at it, the more I think about just modding the existing blade guard. Rather than trying to fab one from scratch.

The goal would be to fill in the gaps enough to allow you to roll a bud on it,
The openings need to be able to allow a good trim. While providing enough protection to not damage the bud...

P

Peat

Now, that sounds good!
Gotta keep it low profile, tho ...to still give a close shave...

What kinda mesh ya got in mind?

Something like chicken wire???

S

stoned teacher

I've considered the option of closing the existing cover as well... I gotta see if that blade cover (or grille as I call it) is plastic or metal...Considering glassing/epoxying on a few pieces of something plastic or even ghetto welding a few thick pieces of welding wire across it

I haven't made my stoned run to home depot yet to see what's around yet...prolly gonna wait till I get it event thought I'm pretty pumped :)

I did get the non souped up version....I have a feeling that for our purposes, we shouldn't need all the power this thing has....just cutting off trim and sucking it 7 inches into a bag......

I'll let ya'll know when I finally get it.... Target and Home Depot have it on their website but more expensive....but I wouldn't have had to wait...When my mind gets flowing I hate a-waitin!

S

stoned teacher

picture.php

This is a pic from Trim Pro.
The blade guard seems duplicatable...:chin:

I wonder if the Garden Groom will have any issues with operating face up, like that??? :confused:

Dang that just looks like the grille on top of an outdoor AC unit....but I'm sure it's RIGHT over the blade....
so many possibilities :)

P

Peat

I ASSume the grill is metal. :confused:

When we were discussing the chicken wire earlier, I was thinking soldering gun...but I dunno...

I agree that we should not require the "souped up version"

Maybe it'll only take 3 wks to get to ya, Teach.

Last edited:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I got a request to chime in...
I've got a TRIMPRO, and FTR I love the damn thing. If I was offered a cheaper solution however, I'd obviously would have taken a look.
Is there a video somewhere about the operation of this "trimmer"? I checked the website, I see pictures...but nothing about how it actually works in practice.
As far as I can tell, it's got the same basic prinicple of any trimmer with a rotary blade...only it's portable and hand-held. The additional benefit is that it's obviously cheaper...by like $1700 clams.
The picture of the underside reveals that rotary blade.....the ONLY thing you need to have is a grate...or something on top of it that prevents the parts of the plant you don't want cut from getting in....and the parts you want gone to pass through. I think chicken wire is a brilliant solution, but there may be some other sort of grate system that can be cut and fashioned for it......like a vent cover for central air conditoning units...etc.....
Maybe a slotted speaker cover even.
Hell.....even really tightly pulled rope pulled across the opening would create a "scrog" like aperature....and can be moved around to be more or less open.
It's absolutely worth the effort to try and DIY with this thing....it's not alot...and if it sucks balls.....you didn't really break the piggy bank.

Someone earlier stated that the fan on the TRIMPRO looks really close the the grate....

Here's the scoop: First off...there are different sized grates that can be put on the TRIMPRO....that's what the "workstations" are actually....just the regular old trimpro with different grate and top. You can get the grates from TRIMPRO relatively cheaply. Secondly, the fan blades can be raised or lowered depending on how you want your cuts. I just left mine standard and didn't screw around with it because I didn't want to futz with it. I know Lapides has one also...and I think he's a bit better with fooling with the blades....so you may want to get his input on that.

Just another point; if TRIMPRO is selling the grates as you see pictured on the trimpro...why don't you just purchase a TRIMBOX grate....and couple it with the unit you're talking about...this way you've got the grate that was made for the trimbox (just a baby sized trimpro FYI) and you've got the cheaper unit.....heck...even if you had to use electrical tape and gum it would prolly be off the hook. Check out the TRIMBOX on the actual trimpro website....look at the grate options...you'll see what I mean. You may even be able to couple that thing with the trimbox workstation frame and you've got a whole table to use with the cheapy trimmer!

You may want to ask Greyskull for his input also...it was his threads and experience with the Trimbox that got me all pumped to buy one....I was gonna get the small trimbox and then I decided to go for it and just get the big mother-f.u.c.k.e.r. just in case my need to trim increased!

So I hope that helps a bit......would love to see a DIY actually work as well as these more expensive units.....:friends:

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
Stoner ingenuity FTW....:joint:

The existing grill/grate may work if it's removed and some type of additional "restriction" is applied underneath.....the stainless mesh of some sort sounded good and I'm sure tacking it on the under-side/molding it wouldn't be all that difficult.

Nice find Peat! :yeahthats

Grand Funk

Yeah Peat, you get my vote for Member of the Year award. I sure hope this turns out like we all would like. I was thinking of getting one of them aardvarks.....but I think I'll wait now to see how this goes. I can go through one more harvest the old fashioned way.

S

stoned teacher

I got a request to chime in...

The picture of the underside reveals that rotary blade.....the ONLY thing you need to have is a grate...or something on top of it that prevents the parts of the plant you don't want cut from getting in....and the parts you want gone to pass through. I think chicken wire is a brilliant solution, but there may be some other sort of grate system that can be cut and fashioned for it......like a vent cover for central air conditoning units...etc.....
Maybe a slotted speaker cover even.
Hell.....even really tightly pulled rope pulled across the opening would create a "scrog" like aperature....and can be moved around to be more or less open.
It's absolutely worth the effort to try and DIY with this thing....it's not alot...and if it sucks balls.....you didn't really break the piggy bank.

Someone earlier stated that the fan on the TRIMPRO looks really close the the grate....

Here's the scoop: First off...there are different sized grates that can be put on the TRIMPRO....that's what the "workstations" are actually....just the regular old trimpro with different grate and top. You can get the grates from TRIMPRO relatively cheaply. Secondly, the fan blades can be raised or lowered depending on how you want your cuts. I just left mine standard and didn't screw around with it because I didn't want to futz with it. I know Lapides has one also...and I think he's a bit better with fooling with the blades....so you may want to get his input on that.

Thanks for the input...I was considering having the "grate" or "grille" adjustable...even if it was with the use of washer spacers or something...Trimpro grates seem to range from 1/4" to 7/16"...good to know

S

stoned teacher

Just got back from Home Depot and in the ducting/AC/Heater/filter aisle they had plenty of different "grates" or "grilles" to choose from....not just the standard ones...definitely some options there...

Also some metal grating squares were there.... in two departments that could be used...

Just gotta wait n get it now!

P

Peat

Hey! :wave:
Thanks Access! :yes:
...must spread rep before giving to Access...

I'll get ya when I can, brother!
In the meantime, maybe one or two of the good folks here can pick up my slack! :wink:

iGro! Yeah man! Now you're thinking! :D

LOL @ Grand Funk :biglaugh:
I don't know about all that! But, I appreciate the appreciation! :ying:

I believe this little project is as good as DONE.
...just a few loose strings here & there...like getting started, for instance...:rolleyes: :biglaugh:

Alright Teach! :headbange Man, you definately deserve credit for doing the legwork!

...damn! I cant rep you EITHER??? :crazy:
C'mon on peeps! Show our good teacher some rep love! :D

Well,
I don't want to miss out on all the fun! :jump:
I figure I'll go ahead & get me one too! :D