What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Bomb Shelter!

Hello All,

I recently had a very bad security scare and have been laying low here. What i gave up was 1200 watts HPS on Digi ballasts in a climate controlled "lab" with 36 sq ft. of grow space. I have been slowly building up over the past few years. So, i moved very fast to a new spot. I just happened upon a underground bomb shelter, like the ones used in the 50's for nuclear war. The shelter is on family land, the owner has knowldge of its being there....perfect right? More than perfect!

The shelter is over 48'' below ground, it is below the frost line at 42 Lat. It is a 5x5 area with full power and ventilation. A few things were updated and the vent was retro fit with a dayton blower. Temps never have gone below 65 even with the lights off, temps not above 74 F lights on. The night time temps have been well below freezing.It is the most awesome thing i have ever come across. Great Find!

The cooler air temps has made trichomes pack on and i have some of the best looking stock ever! I will post complete pics soon with construction and before / after pics. I have one hashberry pheno that is very sativa... each bud is one long foxtail. I have never seen a hashberry do that, its usually chunky indica buds.

I am currently running Mandala Hashberry, White Satin, Mosca's DSD x HP, Wallys c99xGF, JW's Blue Apollo x Digital's OG Kush, MoD Godberry, Nirvana Papaya and C99x Williams wonder.
These are my regular strains, i have ran and bred most of them for over 6 harvests. I have never seen them trich up like this, im guessing cooler weather does help trich production. I have seen this talked about in many threads here. anyone have and scientific evidence of this?

Last edited:

BlargIAmDead

Wow...bomb shelter eh. Mind giving us a larger shot of your setup. When the Apocalypse comes you'll be the ONLY one with dank :respect:

Ok Folks,
I have compiled the pics from before and after...... The temps down here are no lower than 60F at night and 71 F lights on...

Sorry for the bad pics i just got the Canon PowerShot A570

Here is the shelter walls etc..

Here is a pic of my prize hashberry pheno...She is 30" and the cola is 26"

look at these foxtails! I have tried contacting mike mandala's crew to find out about this pheno.... i have never seen this happen in tons and tons of this strain that i have grown.

My setup (2) 600w HPS Digi's, FFOF, 2gal pots, FoxFarm Nutes, Cal-mag & Sweet

Here are the regular hashberry pheno's.... all hashberry seeds came from same seed pack.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? This is the best environment i ever got to play with... The Trich's are exploding!

:jump:

Last edited:
BlargIAmDead said:
Wow...bomb shelter eh. Mind giving us a larger shot of your setup. When the Apocalypse comes you'll be the ONLY one with dank :respect:

AMEN to that, when the rough stuff hits i just had to improvise!

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
My AK foxtails just like yours in the last week of bud, which is around 8 weeks.

TGT

looks good man. in the third pic with the hashberry i see a door in the back,is that another room in the shelter?or was that pic taken some where else?also is your entrance hidden?any way sounds like you have the perfect setup my friend!good luck with it.

NEARTHEBEACHBOY said:
looks good man. in the third pic with the hashberry i see a door in the back,is that another room in the shelter?or was that pic taken some where else?also is your entrance hidden?any way sounds like you have the perfect setup my friend!good luck with it.

OH, i took the plants inside to flush them.... thats the basement of the farmhouse. Totally different place, i wish i had water out there. The shelter is a rectangular brick/concrete and metal hole in the ground approx 5x5 plus a lil extra with the steps a wooden steps/ladder to enter and a large steel door. The door has cinder blocks over it,on top of the bricks was a fire pit that was cleaned out and thats how i found the shelter! There was some great relics down there... Radiation medicine, food, laterns, weather radio and blankets. All were in pristine condition! Eerie and so weird that it was left alone for a half century. Who'd have thought that for years we had bon fires right on top of it!

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
That is so cool! I wish I had one of those on my property. It's weird you all didn't know it was there, but I can see how it would be forgotten about. What year do you estimate the radio to be, also, any literature left about? Cool though, when I get my hobby farm in the next few years I m going to build an underground bunker. Just for the cool factor lol.

TGT

The radio is circa 1950's my father estimates 54'. I found a dosimeter with the date of 1954 also. Some literature and emergency procedure info that has no dates on it. One empty can of MIL Spec water with no date on it was a suprise find though! May go on ebay :)

Navigator330 said:
look at these foxtails! I have tried contacting mike mandala's crew to find out about this pheno.... i have never seen this happen in tons and tons of this strain that i have grown.

Sweet setup! A bomb shelter seems like the perfect space, temps already dialed in naturally sounds great.

That's definitely the most unique Hashberry pheno I've seen. I've got 4 going right now and none of them look even close to that and I've never seen a Hashberry grow with that kind of foxtailing. Hope you kept clones or plan to reveg that one!

Last edited:
man thats crazy to think it was there this whole time i bet your mind must have been racing when you found it :jump: .but thats pretty cool you found all that old stuff,and you have a new hidden grow spot.so are you going to put or do you have something covering the entrance?have you thought about running a water line out there?that would be cool as hell to get that thing really going.anyway i'll be watching the shelter man so keep it coming.later :joint:

Last edited:
Water wouldnt be a big project i suppose i can run some flex line down there. I will get ya'll a pic of the top side tommorow in the daylight. It has a steel door basically on a concrete pad. I pad locked it. Didnt even bother to put the bricks back.... i think it will continue to remain anonymous enough. Plus im lazy and dont want to move it all the time. Maybe a nice lounge chair sitting on top of it all eh?

Thanks everyone.... keep comin back! K+ to you all! Anyone know any plumbers? Suggestions on running some water out there would be the sh*t!

Peace

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Actually it's cool I found out what 'foxtailing' means in this thread. I didn't know that was the term used for the pic you posted. I always thought it mean't long buds with a tappered look to them. Learn something new everyday - that's why I come here - thanks!

TGT

White

Fuck, I just wrote a long reply that was lost. I'll make this one quick

Anyways, love the bunker man, wish I had one.

I was a plumber, easy stuff. If I was you, I'd run a line of ABS below frost line. Hope you don't have too long of a trench to dig :) Connect it to a spigot for your supply and cap it with a spigot in your bunker.

The guy I worked with supplies water to acres of his land in Mexico with lines of ABS he ran, it'll work great man.

Aquapex, would work too, but its pricey and you need a special tool.

Good luck.

Peace,
White

G

I would think it would be cool to line it with panda film. Could act as a vapor barrier as well for moisture seeping through the blocks.

Anways looking awesome.

I once was at the house of a very rich man and founder of a large company and got to see a bomb shelter (as well as such neat things as a hidden helicopter hanger) House was vacant when I was there.

Anyways, the bomb shelter had a separate buried phone line, internet, computer setup, scrubbed air from lines that went several hundred feet behind a tree line. Incinerator toilet..... it was pretty cool if not a little creepy. The door looked like one of those doors on a navy ship with the big wheel and a lock bar on the inside.

Grizz

Veteran
great find, to bad it wasent bigger. the house they had the nugs & jugs party at in vegas had a room like this , only it was like 10 x 14 with steel door and a big safe in the wall , all under ground level.

The first two pics are of the room before, since completion it has been lined with panda all walls, ceiling and floor. RH is 45%

White: thanks for the tip.... running a line from the spigot and capping with one saves alot of work! I have a cable line trencher/bed cutter. Maybe i will rent a ditch witch this weekend and bury ABS way down. I can dump it 48" under and make it even with the roof of the bunker.

I measured the inside area since i only guessed. the floor is about 74" x 74". the second level of the wall extends that another 2 feet on each side. It would be neat to put the lights in the center down low and use the second set of walls as a stadium type setup having the outer edge of lights up higher.

Keep coming back, harvest is coming very soon. Im not sure if i will continue to grow down there seeing as once the snow comes it may be too cold, but its ok because my original goal was to find safety from LEO. Next spring i may start over and just use the bunker instead of endangering myself in my house again.