What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

midwest growers unite

L

lostinethereal

Wow the purpling in that leaf is beautiful ABITA.

Woohoo, I received my order today from HD, I ordered a pack of Cannacopia - Pommelo, it took about 2 weeks in all, but don't mean to plug or anything. In a couple of days I'll germ a few and start my second grow, I think my girl (whom I've been calling "the funk" because the odor's got a bite to it now) is about ready for harvest. It's like week8/9 of 12/12 now. Most of the hairs are changing colors but I still don't see a single amber trich though. Sort of pathetic in comparison to you guy's so no pictures until I harvest and trim her up, she's gotten pretty fat that's for sure though. She's pretty much just a single bud, ideally I would have a few of her in a SOG type setup, well really just one vegged out under a screen in my small cab. But some real life experience and some free smoke is great.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
LIE: Check out Dr.Budgreengenes micro cfl sog grow...
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=69713
27 clones in 20oz soda bottles under 210 watts cfl, and he gets something like 2g per watt. Some posters say his numbers are bs, but i don't know, his mix is soilless, just peat moss and perlite, and he waters almost every other day, using hydro nutes, so it's probably more like hydro than soil. The plant numbers are a little high depending on your state, but he harvests continually, like 3 plants a week...
:joint:

ABITA: The Purple Phreak is seeded! Whoohoo! :woohoo:
I call dibs on the seeds! :rasta:
What lucky male did you use for the cross? Or is it selfed? Either way, good job on capturing those genetics! Maybe you have the next chemdawg? Those were popped from seeds from dank bud... BTW, did that dank purple sack have a name, like The Purps, Purple Urkle, Purple Kush, etc? I'm guessing it doesn't, else you would have said it already...

Orion: You got 12 oz's from your second harvest? Dayam, that's awesome. You're blowing me away.
:violin: I'm still working out the kinks; i.e. trying not to f!ck it up so much.
If you got 12 ozs from a 400, then I think you're looking at 24 ozs from a 600 (doesn't the 600 put out close to twice the lumens of the 4?), especially with the scrog. I've heard a grower on another site say the scrog seemed to increase his yield 2-3x, but he didn't weigh his yields. Still, he said that what the scrog really did was reduce the scrap, the popcorn buds. Nothing but long, thick donkey d@cks... I don't know if that's a good image or not, but in growing it is.. :rasta:
EDIT: I think if you trim the undergrowth under the screen, that will induce the stuff above the screen to stretch. That's what happened with my NYCD; i didn't have them scroged but they definitely had a growth spurt after the trim...

Blaner: Hope you get those SOL seeds. Hope customs don't leave you SOL (sh!t out of luck). :nono: That sounds like a delicious cross: og x bs... any good grow reports on those? Have to look in the Spice of Life forum...

Blake: You lost the godbud? You mean the seeds were confiscated? Heard a lot of good things about BC's godbud... I know Reeferman has a G-sus, think it's G13 x godbud. If I ever ordered from Reeferman, that's what I would get, cause I ain't paying 300 for endless sky, lol... :rasta:

Luaith: Kushman soil mix, as in Kyle Kushman? I'm taking this is some mix you can whip up yourself, or is it actually sold in bags premixed? I know that there's thousands of different soil 'recipes' out there; with dozens of different ingredients to choose from, the variations are endless. What are you using now, and are the results noticeably worse than what you were using before? If I went organic soil, I'd probably keep it pretty simple: a base of FFOF, perlite and peat; some ewc, guano, maybe a little blood and bone meal. Soil mixes can get expensive, and I'd definitely try to recycle as much of my soil as possible... :joint:

Last edited:
L

lostinethereal

Bababooey, I'm familiar with his threads. I don't like the idea of lots of small plants, I think it's reckless to suggest to complete 'idiots with half a brain' to have a high density over the federal MMS SOG for a few extra grams a month? Anyhow, informative posts no less and I've been using quite a bit of his techniques, namely the nutes mix. And I tried a couple 20oz bottles on a few random plants I wanted to try out topping vs lst, it's a major pain in the ass to water even two 20oz bottles by lowering them into the nute solution and dunking, much slower to 'drink up' than the 18oz party cup I'm using. I'm going to pop a few beans, veg 'em out a little longer than I probably need to (going to have to cull the males out after all) and experiment with fewer plants and more training this time.

I intend to use a partial sog and partial scrog for my next cab, sort of a perpetual setup. I figure I'll have my main smoking girl, vegged out under a screen taking about half the cab, with the rest of the space for random smaller girlies.

HTGS has a good combo deal on this growbright 4" inline fan and carbon filter, I think it'd run about 160 with s/h and work great in this cab. Sort of big and bulky though, but I think that's going to be my best option out there.

orion6324

ABITA: nice looking purple there. Ive always wanted a purple strain. Maybe someday. Oh and im with baba..i like seeds too..lol

BABA: Ya i got 12 zips from a 400. But like i said i think it was luck. I babied em sprayed with co2 3 times a day,PH and PPM were checked constantly. I over did it i think...lol. But it was still new and very interesting to me.

Not sure how many more lumens a 600 puts out compared to a 400 so i really have no clue as to what im gonna get this run[first time with600, scrog and phosphoload im sure it will increase considerably]. Ya ive trimed em up pretty good and i noticed some extra streching because of it too now that you mention it. But im sure the phosphoload has taken care of that

I changed out the nute solution today[what a pita] but i had to because ive had the LOAD in there for 2 days now at 2ml per gallon. Thay say not to run it to long. And ya your right floranova is the lucas formula in a bottle. Im convinced that GH has been watching these boards and floranova is the result. Because if you put the floranova in PH's spreadsheet[PH is a person if you guys dont know] it comes out almost identical to the lucas formula..coincidence?...i think not.

In case you guys dont know PH is the guy that mentored LUCAS and showed him the formula. But lucas is the guy that brought it to the boards so everyone called it the LUCAS formula. PH has a web site called cannastats[dotcom i think]. A truly excelent read and a must read for all growers in my opinion

Again im lovin this chat were getting everyday lets keep it up fellas

Last edited:

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Orion, the 600 will give you alot more intensity. regarding yield with the new light, I never try to look at an upgraded or any grow in terms of yield increase. If you don't get a higher yield you'll likely be bummed. i like to look at the worst yield scenario so when it's done if the yield goes up its a windfall, if it remains the same or drops its not such a letdown. Scrogging is definitely a learning process. you'll improve each time. I didn't like scrog or hydro methods as you're fucked if you need to get them out of your place in case of emergency or family comes for the weekend, electricity fails, etc.. I do love my hydro spinach though! Keep it up your plants look great!

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
out of the 3 beans i got 1 female 2 males, so i used a combination of the males pollen on it. no name was given, all i know is my friend didnt want to pay another 1200 for a qp so it was a one time deal.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
ABITA: 1200 a qp... (does math) 300 an ounce, just under 40 an eighth... Dank bud around chicago usually goes for 60 an eighth, sometimes up to 70 but that's rare. Course, that's not bulk prices, like you got.
How would you rank that bud, is it top five smoke of all time for you? Do you have a smoke report? I'm thinking it must be pretty good if you bothered to crack those seeds...
I've never tried to keep any of my males. Maybe next round I will, but I don't have a separate flowering chamber and I'm worried that if I keep them with the females they'll impregnate everything in there. Which might not be a bad thing, but it'd be pure pollenchucking if i did it like that... :rasta:

LIE: Yeah, the plant numbers with a sog are worrisome, but I believe the federal minimum is 100 plants. That's the minimum for the feds to pick the case up, but they don't always do that. Here in chicago, i don't think the feds really go after growers. They're more interested in indicting our mayor. :muahaha:
But seriously, dr.budgreengenes microgrow was with 27 clones under 210w cfl. 27 is not a bad, bad number. In IL, it's bad because over 20 bumps you up to the next level of felony, with more bumps at 50 and I think 200. Not sure so don't quote me on that, but the info is available at norml.
Still, even though I'm trying to keep my plant count under 20 (ideally, with 3 moms and four tubs, I can keep it around 12), I might do a sog if I can't get my DWC tubs dialed in right. But from the sound of it, you tried it and the watering is a PITA. Maybe some type of watering wand and pump device would be better? I saw a grow video once where dude had a watering wand and a 54 gallon res; he would water each plant for 3 seconds (he timed it before) and move on to the next. He could water hundreds of plants in minutes. Obviously you wouldn't need a setup that big, but something to think about.
Is your cab going to have separate mom/veg chambers too?

Retardo: I agree, experience is key. I seem to screw up the first few times I try new things but at least I learn from my mistakes. I'm scrogging my latest tub of NYCD but I screwed up because I didn't let them veg long enough. :violin: Now I have barely any budsites above the screen... :bashhead:

Orion: You seem to be mastering everything you try the first time. :nono:
I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled 2 elbows dry. Turn half of it into hash and post pics and smoke reports of it... :rasta:
Thanks for the heads up on this PH dude. I googled his articles:
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty

Guy knows his stuff. With the nutrient profiles, his research is comprised of 10 years and 25 crops worth of observations. If it can save me another year of crappy looking plants (still gets me blazed, so I'm not TOO upset) then it'll be worth it...

L

luaith

the Kushman mix was something i grabbed out of HighTimes back in 98'...i do beleive..
HT..did an artical about him and his strains he had just come out with at the time.
also included was the mix which was peat based with plenty of organic goodies.
blood,bone meal,kelp meal,guanos(bat&seabird),worm castings.dolomite lime,perlite,vermiculite....i think thats it...lol..
to bad ive forgotten how much of what.
Breeders Steves Plum Bud loved the stuff..that was one hell of a plant.
plum bud sums it up in a nut shell...

SSS....
48611IMG_0378-med.JPG

L

lostinethereal

I know that 100 is the federal mandatory minimum, that's what I was referring too. The government is the government in a way but I don't want to fuck with the feds. 27 flowering plants at once means at least one mom they're coming from, several clones at any given time because vegging out, rooting, or more than you need in case they don't make it, either way it can really add up. I think it's a lot less hassles using fewer plants in bigger containers, using some form of training be it topping, LST, or what have you. BTW not trying to shoot down the Dr, just realistically it's too much work. 20oz bottles become extremely top heavy and cumbersome to work with when watering, the top being so heavy and the soil light with more oxygen than water and it just wants to top over into the nute solution, then you have to repeat for each of the numerous containers you'll end up having. Could you imagine your nice buds slipping into the nasty stinky brown fish emulsions tea? lol :bashhead:

The cab will be flowering only, and I'll use this crappy one I have now to separate males for pollen, or small total seed crops. Meaning I have to setup a small mom/veg box but I'll worry about that when I have this other one setup, gotta start saving for the fan/filter combo. And I think I could use it as a mother/clone box just fine if I swap out the bulbs for slightly lower wattage higher kelvin (like 2x 23w 6500k would be nice I think).

Alright, now a couple shots of her from today. Her leaf tips are pretty dry and brittle, I think I cutoff nutes a little too early. So I took my trimmers and cutoff the crispy burnt leaf tips. I'm getting very eager to harvest. Still not a single visible amber trich, but as you can see most of the hairs are changing color. It's now week 9 of 12/12 around day 62 or so since the initial flip. Took about a week and a half for flowers to show up so maybe more like 8 weeks of actual flowering. I think I'll be harvesting in the next couple of days, I don't think she can take much longer with just water and if there's not an amber trichome now, it's not like they're all going to turn in the next day (I think I'm the kind of guy who would like them around 50% amber, I definitely prefer the heavy knock out stone). So in a since she will probably not be as ripe as she could be, but alas here are the pics:

orion6324

RETARDO: Could'nt agree more about the yield thing. I should'nt try to think of it that way. But the 600 instead of the 400 will increase it no dought. How much?...who knows. As far as a learning prosses with the scrog. Ya your right. I was just thinking that today while i was in there. Dont have to worry about people seeing my grow. Its HIDDEN. And im lucky when it comes to outages. I live near a hospital and im on thier grid so it takes alot for me to loose power.

BABA: Thx for the comments but its more luck and reading that have got me to where i am in growing.Its simple really. All i do is what ive read on PH's web site. I just follow exactly what he and lucas do and ive never EVER had so much as a mild nute burn. Luck and research. As far as 2 elbows....WOW I WISH ...lol id love to get that. But my money is on 1 lb when all is said and done and its rdy to smoke on. Yep thats his site. lol ive read that thing cover to cover all sections many times lol. That guy truly is the pinnacle of the modern grower. I can promise you if you read that site and do what he does. You'll never have another problem again. makin hash huh? i tried a long time ago and it did'nt work out to well. To much plant material in it. I acctually chucked it it was so bad. But i have been looking at the bubble bags here lately. You may have just given me an idea..lol

LOST: looks like that girls about rdy to pop. What strain was it? I missed it. That cola looks fat. How big is it?[coke can?]

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
LIE: Yeah, what strain IS that? I thought you said this was mexican bagseed? Looks very indica to me, or at least a 50/50 hybrid. I thought mexican brickweed was mostly sativa. Then again I hear they're growing more hybrids down there, for better yield.
Also, didn't dr.budgg keep his bottles in plastic tubs, like 9 to a tub, to better manage them? That may make things neater when watering. I don't know, seems like you've done it already and didn't like it, but I was thinking of it as an alternate growing style for me if i get tired with my current one..

Orion: Scrog, plus 600, i think you'll get a lb AT LEAST.
That's what I need to do, just follow an experienced grower's advice, then I won't go wrong. But I always keep tweaking things, more on that below...
If you want cheap bubble bags, look on ebay, there was some dude who was selling knockoffs for less than a hundred for a 5 bag set, plus pressing screen. I ordered it, haven't used it yet but will in a couple months (you'll note that i plan to do everything 'in a couple months' :rasta:). Better than spending 2-400 from one of the other manufacturers... I plan on running buds and trim for two runs then making cannabutter from the remains.. :rasta:

Luaith: If i did soil, i'd do it with much the same ingredients, but the base would be peat and vermiculite. The only things I would have to order or buy at a hydro shop would be ewc, kelp, the guanos. Everything else, including lime, could be had at home depot or a gardening center... Beats buying bags and bags of FFOF, I would think... Even better, I've heard of some growers keeping earthworms in their soil. True recyclable system, I guess. :joint:

I have a problem: I bought this co2 generator used off of some guy, it's a Greenair Cd-6 (6 cubic ft per hour), it's like 400 new i got it for 150, guy probably used it 1 year. He had a controller too but couldn't find it. :violin:
So I buy the freaking thing cause my room is sealed. Hook up a fresh propane tank to it and the damn thing runs out in like 2 weeks! I had it on a timer, running about an hour during flowering (four 15 min intervals - not scientific i know but whatever i don't want to spend 400 on controller). The instructions say a propane tank should last at least 180 hours of on time, i figure cause it has a pilot maybe 150 hours, 1 hour a day, that should last me 150 days?
What's wrong? Does a pilot consume WAY more gas than I think it does? Here's a pic of it with the pilot on, and one with flash, where you cant see the pilot:

Is this normal or is my generator messed up somehow? I dont want to refill propane tanks every 2 weeks, I got it so I didn't have to refill as often as with a co2 tank...

Last edited:
L

lostinethereal

Well she's bag seed yes, but luckily for me I don't even know how to get any mexibrick crap :joint: The mids I get look like this

I usually get about 10-20 seeds tops from a half when it's like this which is most of the time, but not so much recently. All I could find was bomb ass white rhino cross and then sorta alright mids with a lot more seeds. I only found 3 seeds out of prob 2oz of the rhino stuff, and they all looked pretty mature but crumbled with no effort.

dkmonk

Hey looks just like the indy (indianapolis, nap town, whatever you wanna call it) bud i get. Does it have a sweet smell when grounded up, decent taste but not really anything special, and a sativa high with a little bit of the indica body stone. Sorry to go on about this, but it looks just like all the shit i get.

L

lostinethereal

Yeah it smells alright, definitely not the fermenting/ammonia odor of really low quality moist packed stuff. Breaks up real nice, has just a generic pot/plant smell to it, taste isn't bad, but nothing to rave about. Mostly an indica high but with sativa overtones, probably very similar stuff. Sort of makes sense, Nebraska is pretty much right in the middle of it all with I-80 going through west-east linking the whole of the country right through us.

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Was that white rhino cross called white rhino kush? Years ago, my friend was in Indiana and got what was probably the best weed he's ever smoked, it was called white rhino kush. Him and a buddy split one small nug of it and they were gone, out of commission. :rasta:

L

lostinethereal

I don't know what it was exactly, I know the guy tried out some PKxNL awhile ago, perhaps a WRxNL cross of some sort? Whatever it was it definitely was similar in taste and high to the straight up white rhino from last batch. But the taste was better, not as 'plain' I guess, sorta fruity and plenty of the buds had long foxtails coming off the top.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
LIE: How would you rate the potency of that White Rhino on a scale of 1-10? Even though kush is all the rage, I think White Rhino was one of the favorite strains of the 90's, when White Widow was the rage..

BTW, where's Blaner and OG Bub?

L

lostinethereal

I'd say this stuff is about 8-8.5, this cross and the regular rhino from last batch. The first time I smoked white rhino (about 4 years ago, haven't until this stuff) I was unimpressed, it sure was coated with trichomes but the flavor was bland and the high was lacking, that stuff was probably 6 out of 10.

I'm giving my girl the chop tomorrow when I get up, which is also my girlfriend's birthday. Since she's coming down I can start my second grow, I got 3 of each of the following soaking in a drop of superthrive in distilled water in a shot glass. Ironically I've collected a couple shot glasses over the years and I've never used them once, I've never even taken a shot come to think of it as I don't drink and have hardly ever. And now their first use is for something completely different and obviously much better (or we can settle on not stupid :bashhead:). I got some Cannacopia - Pommelo, Mandala - Hashberry F2s, chemSG for this time :rasta: I'm excited to see how quality genetics compare with some experience to random bagseed with no experience.

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thanks for the smoke report on the Rhino. I don't know that I've ever had weed that was covered in trichs and was only 'eh', but I've heard other people say the same thing. Guess it's what's on the inside that counts. Do you think the stickier the bud is, that's more indicative of potency? My Flo is only decently crystally but it is pretty resinous; after handling it you can pick up an almost empty soda can just by touching your fingers to it...

What's the lineage of the chemSG? Sounds like chemdog x something... You're going with 9 seeds, to hopefully get at least 4 females? So long as you have the room in the cab... I popped five seeds at a time, cause that's all that would reasonably fit in one of my tubs, then I cull the males later. That means a lot of their rootmass is left in the tub, not an ideal situation I know, but I don't think it's affected the females much.

For bagseed, that grow looks pretty good. Filled out nice, looks frosty. Weed always benefits from a proper cure, so I don't know if this is possible, but try to hold off at least a month before smoking it. Course, if it gets you high right after drying, that's a good thing, but if you wait a month longer you should notice an increase in potency...
:rasta:

I know what you mean about shot glasses. I get drunk rarely, maybe once or twice a year. For me, weed is my cocktail; I've made a conscious decision that I'd rather choose weed over alcohol when I want to unwind or have fun. Responsible, adult use of cannabis should be treated no differently than responsible, adult use of alcohol. I actually think there'd be less crime if more people chose weed over alcohol as their preferred substance... :joint:

No answer to my co2 question, huh guys? That's ok, it was kind of a specialized issue. I'm going to post it in the growroom designs and equipment thread...

Also, I have issues that seemed to be stunting my DWC tubs, I'll have to post pics and descriptions later. I was thinking of posting it here in the midwest forum, but maybe I should just use my growthread. Besides, I have to get some activity going on my growthread; i'm realizing you can get lost pretty quickly amongst all the other growthreads here... :rasta:
But that's a good thing to see, all these people doing their thing. OVERGROW indeed.... :joint:

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bababooey said:
BTW, where's Blaner and OG Bub?

hey bro! still here, had some other shit to deal with on the forums recently.. also tryin to get more stock into boutique for everyone.

Im currently figuring out a setup at a nother house, where Ill be running a big indica grow in a few months including but not limited to: DeepChunk, CrippleCreek, HT Indica, PAKI, NepalHashPlant, Indian IBL..
should be fun with lotsa stout plants, I cant wait to get started!

Latest posts

Latest posts