What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low Stress Transplanting.....

G

There are a lot of us that use plastic beer cups for seedlings....

Here is a method you may like to prevent the occaisonal root damage we get when transplanting....

I use 2 cups.... one is the liner.... the bottom is removed and cut up the side of the cup.... top top cup is doubled and contains the plant....

When its transplant time I remove the plant and the liner from the bottom cup.....

then I pull back on both sides of the liner to unstick the root ball....

then put the plant and liner in the larger container...2 gallon here....

fill dirt around it then hold the dirt in the liner pull up and remove the liner leaving the plant.....

Not rocket science.....and short and sweet......

I would have called it LST but thats taken.....

lol...

Last edited:

Smoke68

Very ingenious!!! I have used similar methods, but this seems to be the best and most refined way. Thank you for the tutorial, I WILL be using this from now on when using soil;)
64 post and already a tutorial... NICE!

RudieJ

I really should have done this for my current grow. They haven't even sprouted yet, but I am dreading the day when I have to take them out of their clay pots for transplant. Oh well, I'll remember it for next time definitely.

B

Bubble Puppy

A lesson i learned the hard way,they don't like being transplanted about 3 or 4 weeks into the flower cycle.Luckily they didn't die, but came close..

gladysvjubb

Veteran
How I Transplant...........

How I Transplant...........

The candidate, a 4 week old seedling that has been raised under 12/12, showing female today.

Put some soil in your pot.

Place your pot in the middle of the new pot to make a mold.

Fill and tamp into place.

Remove your mold pot.

Your left with a perfect mold.

Take your transplant candidate and support the soil with your fingers and press on the bottom of the cup and the sides very gently.

Your cup will remove away leaving a perfect soil ball.

Simply drop it into the mold without disturbing the fragile roots.

Smooth the soil and press the plant down gently.

Transplant is finished with no stress.
Grow on!

G

NOthing is perfect....

Im sure almost everyone has tried to get the rootball out of the cup and half dropped to your hand and half stayed in the cup.....

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I'd like to make a suggestion..........

I'd like to make a suggestion..........

Give the 9 oz. opaque plastic cups a shot. I punch 5 holes in the bottom for good drainage. Your plants will do well in them and be more managable. Also I let the cups dry out to where the plant is slightly wilting from lack of water. Just an hour before the transplant I water the plant to run off. After I make my mold with just barely moist potting mix, I can handle the 9 oz. cup as it were a plug and plug it in, as it were. Then I wait for the plant to show me it needs water. Usually 3-4 days, then I drench it and wait for the next wilt (just about). It's a mild wilt not an extreme one.

G

I absolutely mangle the rootball. Often, I cut the sides off like in the bonsai thread. I've also done a soil to dwc where I washed the all the dirt off the rootball under tap water and trimmed off a lot of the fine roots. It was a reveg and it took a couple weeks to start growing again.

From my experience, I don't understand why people make a big deal out of transplanting. It seems to be a non-issue.

G

Can yall explain to me what you could possibly be doing to "shock" your plants while transplanting? I'm the type who likes to break up the root ball before transplanting into any medium, and I have yet to see any ill effects, slowed growth or any other bs other folks complain about...

In my experience, if you've got a well developed enough root system, transplanting is no issue, and always stays as one mass...never falls apart.

This seems a bit premature to transplant in my opinion.

22179P2040405-thumb.JPG

CDM

never really had any transplant issues, usually the root structure holds it together... even in flower I have transplanted with no ill affects...

I like the techniques shown though!

jdubz206

gladys - right on. that's exactly how i transplant. only difference is @ the bottom of the hole that the clone is going into i add a layer of rooter's endo\ecto mycorrizhae - i'm sure i spelled that wrong. haven't had transplant shock once since using this method.

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
love the mold idea, consider not compressing the soil under the cup too much too, we do want root growth to be prolific ;)

a wonderful trick we learnt in bonsai class is to use a mister bottle with some nice nutrient or water solution, at room temperature, and spray the root ball and the soil you're putting baby plant into

i mentioned this because these steps add to "stress reduction" for the plant.

please note - if you do spray as i suggest, do not use cold ice water as this will obviously stress the plant

nice jdubz

big twinn

Veteran
Great thread! I will most definitely be using this technique. Although i have found many ways to stress my plants=P, i can honestly say i have had no issues as far as transplanting cannabis. even after exposing each root from having to thoroughly flush one of my plants (i removed ALL the previous soil from the root ball mass, then transplanted into FFOF.
(only 1 of 3 were flushed this way). NONE of the 3 plants showed any sign of stress or lack of growth!

But, this way is SO simple, if using soil, i dont see why this method wouldnt be used as it DOES make it easier with that mold/plug principle.

I use the same method described earlier in this thread. It's the easiest way to do things "in bulk" IMO.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 21

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
and here I am, just pulling from one pot, placing it in another and putting dirt in the empty spaces.

-cap

Anyone ever use Superthrive? It wants you to create a water soak mixed with it to soak the roots on before transplanting, good idea? Bad?