What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shoebox Ganja!

Smoke68

Last night, as I lay restless on my bed, starring at the ceiling, pondering the fate of my recently rooted clones, a metaphorical light(def. HPS lol) popped up in my head that said "Hey Smoke, why don't you modify one of your old shoeboxes and use that to sex my plants." Then it occurred to me that we should be making a contest.
Everybody wears shoes, making a plethora of boxes in the house. Why not add a fan, a lighting system and some 7 fingered ladies in some of the smallest boxes that we see ALL OF THE TIME! I would like to do this contest to show how marijuana does in such a small environment for AS LITTLE MONEY POSSIBLE, to represent what you can produce with the tightest of wallets.

My system is currently employing the use of a single 20w CFL purchased at Walgreens for 4 for $1.00!!!! Later on I will add another:) A small fan in which I will be replacing with a new CPU fan from the Re-Store for $1. The pots are only a single cup, but I am using Coco as my substrate.

Smoke68

And I ask why not bother?
Personally, I needed a tiny space that was also stealth and did not want to spend extra money on an item that I could easily modify. Plus this is a great stealth option... who's gonna guess the shoebox in the corner?
Why did those guys before me bother with a 1oz shotglass grow? Why? Because it is fun, entertaining, it does not hurt you to set it up and for once, I would like to get in on a mini grow contest as I have seen before in 1oz container or bonsai landscape threads. What better way than to try and start up one with my own original idea.
So anybody up for something like this?
I know I should have added a poll, but gimme your votes/ideas/plans!

RED145

I asked the same thing then,I guess what I'm saying is you actually YIELD out of a shoe box??
Please post some pics tho,I never seen a shoebox grow!! :rasta:

Last edited:

Smoke68

This should not be a big yielder competition I will admit. However, it isnt going to cost you much but a little time.
Were the guys who did the 1oz grow looking for a yield? No they were just looking to have fun and a friendly competition amongst amigos. I would say though, that because it was a shotglass grow, there was much more to go wrong and the yield was not much. The yield (of most, not all) was the whole and entire plant in a single gram Jang... Please dont get me wrong, I am not bashing the 1-O.grow or their results, I have much respect and props for the pioneers! I dont know about your mentality toward the situation, but I wouldn't mind have some competition coming out of a shoebox!
Red your situation may differ from mine, but as I stand, I have a micro veg box with no place to flower or sex. I needed a flower box, and this has seemed to fit all of my criteria. For now my box is to be used as a sexxer, not a flower box yet, as soon as they are sexed then it will be the flower box:):)
I figure a 12oz cup could yield 4 grams(pessimistic guess) per plant. With 3 plants, that is 12 grams. I truly believe you can achieve this from a 20w CFL, considering the small area and light reflecting off of the flat white walls of the box.
I got a camera for xmas and I have yet to figure out how to upload pics onto my computer... let alone get them from it to the forums... lol, wow. I used to be better at this... Ok so pics when I can figure it out:):)
Peace,
Smoke68

Smoke68 said:
Were the guys who did the 1oz grow looking for a yield?Peace,
Smoke68
No,but they already had a regular grow goin and just threw a shotglass in with it for kicks.I say go for it though,i want to see what ya do with it.{Peace and stay safe,PVP :joint: I grew this in a pop tart box. :rasta:

G

i'll skip the fire at week 3 of flower.........but thanks anyway:wave:
I've grown in a plastic file box before that was about 12"x14"x6".......had a lil carbon filter and two 26w cfls and everything.....

then again, the point of it was to be able to travel back and forth from my college dorm room and home :nono:

glad im done with that situation

before you tell me I have no idea what im talkin about with the cardboard box being a firehazard. I've gotta tell you I tried that too, also in the stupid college days.

that was just 2 pc fans and one 26w cfl with 4 small plants in waterbottles. used piss as my fertilizer and everything :biglaugh:
Only when i realized how stupid it was to set up a 'fire starter on a timer' did i stop.

SO my words to all of ya is, if you're gonna trythe shoebox grow, please keep it inside your fireplace or something. Its not just the chance that the fans will die, causeing the light to heat up the box and start it on fire, but also the chance that with all that wiring going through cardboard aka compressed paper, a small electrical fire could start.

Just don't become a darwin award recipient or a 'stupid pot grower' headline

Slehra

That would be neat to have a shoebox grow off. One from seed one from clone. You could use any training/topping methods but the size, bulb, and fan would be constant. :)

Smoke68

Thank you KGirl:) I expected to do nothing less. I was just touching my toe to the water to see how if this swimming pool was ready for a new rope swing.
Mr. Piston thank you for dropping by and the input! I was thinking the same thing as shoeboxes come in all different dimensions/specs, but at the same time lights are the same. I was thinking doing an equation along the lines of (Cubic area/watts)total plant mass. This may not be the best equation but this limits variability in the final results.
.. and it's all I got for now. If anybody has any ideas for guidelines, feel free to pop em off:):)
IrishSoCo, Thank you for heeding the warning to me and to others as well. I understand the fact that a shoe box is still cardboard, and therefore has a risk of combustion. I used white fire retardant spray (by at any department store) in my box to aid its defense against fires. I have found though, that nothing of mine has warmed up even without the fan on(which it liked to do randomly)
Hey Kurmit, I am not entirely positive on what the standards would be, just that at the end, it is explained as (Cubic area/watts)total plant mass, I will take dimensions of mine later and get it up here.
Peaville did you REALLY grow that in a poptart box or you just yankin my branches?
Peace,
Smoke68

D

Don Cotyle

What about a shoebox or a shoe - boot grow :p ? I'm geting ready to start a few clones.

Last edited:
G

I didn't mean to come off so caustic. :bashhead:

Thanks for reading what i was saying as i meant it (and not in the poorly chosen tone i used) as the warning (and not bashing) that it was. :wave:

Dibbs on the size 16 ski boot...errr....ski shoe box :wink:

its kurmit

i was thinkin guidelines such as box requirements like lxwxh,or one plant for every**c.i. or somethin...but could use any lighting/cooling/watering/training methods to gain the most yield/or healthiest plants

Smoke68

Don, Kurmit thanks for dropping by.
Irish, no problem man. Safety is always number one, I am glad you where so abrasive with that, because I feel I did not do my part in enforcing the safeties and risks at hand.
As I said before the best equation I could come up with was
(Cubic area/watts)*total plant mass
My box is 10 inches wide 4.5 thick and 13 tall. By my calcs. it would be
(10*4.5*13)/20*yield=
(.83*.375*1.083)/20*yield
0.33708375*yield[grams]=final grams per square foot
So here is my shameless pics.. Finally got my camera sorted out but without further notice, I bring you The Power Box.

A peek inside

Group shot!

Vigorous Trifoliate!

Smoke68 you could just let anybody do a shoebox grow anyway they want just to see what people come up with. Since there would be no prizes it would be more of an idea thread. I think this would just be termed a "friendly competiton" and wouldn't be against the TOU.

This isn't the fire hazzard people think it is.

The burning point of paper is 451 degrees F and CFLs don't get 451 degrees.

CFLs can be used in lamps that have shades. Many lampshades are paper, cardboard or cloth. Hydrohuts are made of cloth and people put 1000w HPS in them.

D

Don Cotyle

I think I'm gonna try a hydro boot grow. I'll hunt around for a rubber boot that I can use for a rez. Maber another Idea would be that the shoe box should be available space for root mass, soil or hydro. I'll take some cuttings today, there's a nice pheno type of Orange Diesal I'd like to keep as a mom!

Smoke68

Tarzan, great point! I did not think about what I was getting myself into when I started this thread up lol. Your right though, I definitely do not want to ruffle any admins feathers. But at the same time, I tied nobody down and said "Hey, you! You have to grow in a shoebox for a comp or you die!"
Ok so as it stands, This is not a true competition. I will be using my shoebox as a bud box with 12/12 the only schedule. I would like to see what else everybody else has thought of or put together regardless of how you are going to use it.

skalleluiakid

Finally, someone else who doesn't say why, but why not!

Finally, someone else who doesn't say why, but why not!

This is actually how I started, just to learn the ropes and to get an idea of how wrong it could go. Boy did it go wrong. I'm surprised she made it to harvest and the yield was only a gram, so I ended up smoking leaf, but the plant smelled great, like cucumber melon, and it was free, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

This thread could be the way to inspire new growers who can't (for whatever reason) dedicate a roomful of 600w HPS lamps and and filtration to their hobby.

My first grow was in the box from my climbing shoes with an incandescent, which I then swapped to a 42w CFL and used to keep a mom that I had made from a clone of the first plant for my second and third grows, which were in a SOG in the box that my laptop came in with 4 more 42w CFLs.

Since then I've moved onto bigger and better, but I like this idea for an info thread on inexpensive microgrows. I am about to set up a grow apt anyways, so I figure what's another little lady going to hurt?

I'll start a stealth microgrow and throw some pics up, for the children.

Last edited: