What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen lifespan

Hello people,

A question that popped up in my mind: when a male releases pollen, how long does that pollen stays 'alive' (or 'active' I'm unsure of the right word to use) ?

My questions applies to both indoor and outdoor context.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
What VG says. Also I had some light seeding a few years ago (outdoors) from an experimental hemp farm down the road a couple miles. The hemp pollen was blowing in the wind. Rain and humidity will deactivate it sooner, but at least count on it for a few miles.

HEllo guys,

thnaks for the feedback. My question however wasn't for the purpose of keeping it. I just want to know when it is released in the air, how long does it stay 'viable' in the environment. Like a month ? more ? a year ?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HEllo guys,

thnaks for the feedback. My question however wasn't for the purpose of keeping it. I just want to know when it is released in the air, how long does it stay 'viable' in the environment. Like a month ? more ? a year ?

probably not very long, but possibly quite a long time depending on environmental conditions. If you are looking to safeguard your crop then you need to presume the worst. As said, water will kill it so you may be able to sort it that way.

What might have been better is to have explained your situation/problem a little better in either your first post or replies... then you could have received more relevant answers.

VG

B

Benny106

picture.php

The more arid your climate, the longer it would be viable I would guess. If you have 90% rH around your parts it won’t be viable long.

Why do you ask?

Well I was running four seeds of a Lebanese strain in my closet. They all turned out to be males. One was early and had a very compact and short build (much more so than the others). Next to it, is a Himalayan landrace. I was hoping it would be a female and she would be seeded by the Leb guys. Unfortunately, I have cut down the males and the Himalayan plant sure is taking its sweet time to flower. So I want that when does flower, there would still be some viable pollen floating about. The closet is relately dry and warm.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
`collect a bit of pollen from the male before you cut it down. Just tap a branch on some paper or pick off a few opened flowers. put pollen on a wrap of paper in a closed container with some rice or dessicant in it for a few days... then fold up the paper and keep it in a jar in the fridge or somewhere cool. it will last a few weeks like this if you dried it properly.
Then you can apply it to the flowers you want seeds from at the right time.
VG

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
While pollen stays viable for a couple weeks without storing in fridge/freezer, it is not going to be floating around for very long. Pollen is heavier than air. If the air is not moving, the pollen will fall to the ground. If the air is constantly moving, the pollen will more than likely be removed from the area due to circulation.

St. Phatty

I've read science articles about meteorites, debris in space etc. being analyzed

And they find pollen, including Cannabis pollen.

But no word on whether it was viable.

Is pollen "alive" - or is it more like a molecular key that helps the pistil initiate the bio-chemistry that creates a seed ?