What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the boffins...

TheBlaze

Hi guys,

I have an interesting situation that I have never encountered before in over 8 years of growing.

I have a small/medium sized facility that lost power for 4.5 days. The flower room was at 4 weeks 12/12 or just over.

When the power eventually came back on, the plants still looked reasonably good, although of course they had completely stalled. It took about another 4 to 5 days for them to kick back into gear. At this point, they were still behaving as expected.

Soon after they kicked back in, I noticed that they seemed to be trying to make up for lost time and were adding weight at a fairly significant rate. Fast forward a bit, and they are still adding weight but I noticed that there wasn't much resin or terpene production happening. I let things play out for a while, and then decided to drop my pH and temps. This seemed to help (or maybe just coincidental) as they started adding some frost and the room is definitely smelling more like I would expect it to. What I also noticed, is that the plants seem to be accelerating their weight gain. We are now at 7 weeks, where I would normally expect to see them taper off, they look like they've just entered week 5 of a serious steroid cycle with no signs of tapering off. I have to spend at least an hour every day staking them up. They just keep adding more bulk.

I realise that with the plants having stalled, they are effectively 7 to 10 days behind schedule, but these are clones and I know what to expect of them in terms of performance. This is something very different.

Any theories I can chase up?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Don't know... very interesting situation.

Common sense says they got an extra dose of flowering hormones, (folic acid?). Which may mean those cuts would prefer 11/13 light schedule?

Waiting for a boffin...

TheBlaze

Moses, my main man.

I've been chatting to Freedom Farms about it. The day the lights went out, I had given them a large dose of Fire Juice, Kelp and Fulvic. Which they marinaded in for 4 days. So we have a mixture of an organic bud booster (which really fucken works!), growth hormones and a powerful chelator.

I don't know why that didn't hit home right off the bat, but I only remembered after having a lengthy chat with FF about it.

TheBlaze

Also, there was some bud rot present due to the monstrous size of the buds and I assume the high humidity and no light for 4 days contributed significantly to that as well.